2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

5 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Yes but this is their temporary house. What after that? IIRC there were plans in past to move Coyotes out of Arizona.

There are plans for a new building in Tempe, but it's still in the planning/approval stage.  If they don't get it, this has to be it and the team ends up moving somewhere else, whether that's Houston or Quebec.

In the past, the team was close to moving back to Winnipeg.  Rumor was there was a possible move to Seattle.  It was sold to Jim Balsille and he wanted to move it to Hamilton, but the league blocked that from happening.

• Like 1

I’m so grateful to have the Kraken in Seattle, but I also think it’s messed up we have an NHL team and Quebec City doesn’t. Hartford too (our home TV announcer even called the last Whalers game). The NHL’s lust for Southern US markets sucks and I think really is a driver behind waning nationwide interest. 

• Like 3
  • Yawn 1

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

On 9/22/2022 at 1:55 AM, TenaciousG said:

I’m so grateful to have the Kraken in Seattle, but I also think it’s messed up we have an NHL team and Quebec City doesn’t. Hartford too (our home TV announcer even called the last Whalers game). The NHL’s lust for Southern US markets sucks and I think really is a driver behind waning nationwide interest. 

Hartford won't have an NHL team again for many reasons, and none of them have to do with the league's "lust for southern US markets". The market's problems were and remain;

• Being sandwiched between major US markets that had already long-since populated the market making generating a local fanbase difficult, especially when said markets are Boston and New York. The Whalers were competing with the Bruins, Rangers, Islanders and Devils for local market share, all of whom were much more successful franchises.
  • Adding onto that, Hartford was, and still is, an incredibly small sports market all things considered; one of the smallest in pro sports at the time they left.
  • They were literally playing in an arena squished inside of a mall complex, which obviously makes any expansion or renovation difficult to perform since you have a lot more to navigate than a typical sports arena does, and also makes a lot of revenue streams many teams use completely lost to the Whalers.
  • A stagnating economy with not a lot of diversity that was already declining by the 90's before it completely bottomed out the next decade and never really recovered. Kinda hard to sell tickets when nobody has the money to buy them.

Frankly, if the Whalers had survived 1997, they would very likely have just moved later anyways, possibly even going to Winnipeg themselves. QC has a much better argument since not only can they capture Atlantic Canada by extension, but their economy is also far more diverse than Hartford's; and even then, they have the CAD/USD exchange rate to deal with.

People like to forget, but the Jets coming back was basically a massive series of lucky breaks that very likely won't happen again in our lifetimes; they had loaded ownership in place with a modern building right at the exact moment the NHL needed an emergency relocation for a franchise that had literally no other place to play and ownership who actively wanted them out of their market at the only point in time since the 90's where the CAD has been worth as much or more than the USD.

The reason hockey is waning in the US isn't the NHL expanding to southern markets when those are generally the fastest-growing markets in the country, the issue is that it's so expensive to play as a sport that many people simply can't afford it. Why would a kid want to play hockey and force his parents to spend assloads of money on hockey equipment when he can just play basketball or soccer by grabbing a ball and going to a local court or field?

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

18 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

Well, outside of hockey, they pretty much a small market compared to other Southern cities. Quebec City has a diehard fanbase, and I think the same could be said for Hartford (mainly for the nostalgia factor). But when you compare both of them to places like Houston, Atlanta, Kansas City, and Miami, they all dwarf them in terms of marketability. Unless you can convince Bettman and his members to not expand teams down south, or at least give them a 1000 reasons why Quebec and Hartford should be brought back, the NHL would  be on a lookout for another big market somewhere down the Mason-Dixon line.

Everything that I have seen doesn't back up the idea that interest in hockey is "waning" in the US. Actually it's quite the opposite. Participation in youth hockey has never been greater even with the outrageous costs. College hockey has grown. And the NHL isn't plagued with half empty stadiums around the league. TV deals are growing, the cap is projected to grow... I could go on. Will the NHL ever be the NFL or the NBA? Nope. But it doesn't need to be and that also doesn't mean that interest is waning. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, squamfan said:

Based on rumors here is what the coyotes third jersey is going to look like

And here is what the reverse retro is going to look like

I really like that burnt orange/rust Arizona sweater.  Such a unique color palette and fits the desert perfectly.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Are there coyotes in Quebec? 😆

I 100% confirm to you there are, i have some living in the nearby forest near my home. The could just do like the Stars did when the North Stars moved from Minnesotat and juste use the design and logo (They should change to cold colors however)

9 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

Seattle is one of the more cities to get a team since Gary took over

9 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

Quebec City not having a team is leaving money on the table.

It's become embarrassing the lengths that the league is going to. This is suppsed to be an NHL franchise.

Slav is going to have a double-sized audience watching him develop in Laval.

• Like 1