2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

I'd say if Flyers really have a  feeling they need to change their sweaters and it couldn't be a Hextall/Legion of Doom era then they should go with this:

Primeau_N05292_b_lg.jpeg

But to be fair they should leave it as is it and maybe introduce new alternate.

• Dislike 2

4r2eer.png

17 hours ago, Nordiks_19 said:

Maybe something based on their 2012's winter classic look, but with white and no contrasting nameplate ? They didn't mention it was a " brand new " design so who knows ?

Ranking the NHL's Winter Classic Jerseys - Sports Illustrated

11 hours ago, pepis21 said:

I'd say if Flyers really have a  feeling they need to change their sweaters and it couldn't be a Hextall/Legion of Doom era then they should go with this:

Primeau_N05292_b_lg.jpeg

But to be fair they should leave it as is it and maybe introduce new alternate.

I really hope neither of these options are brought back. The Winter Classic one was a fun, one-off fauxback, and I liked the idea of incorporating the '80s/'90s sock striping onto the sleeves, but it doesn't really feel like a Flyers jersey. The 50th anniversary one is just a completely generic jersey that has zero connection to the history of the franchise.

The Flyers probably have the most classic brand of any non-Original 6 franchise, and a big part of that is the full length sleeve yoke. Every primary uniform they've ever worn has had it, and aside from Colorado & maybe Columbus, no other teams are really associated with it. A Flyers jersey with basic sleeve stripes & shoulder yokes just looks like something you'd find at Wal-Mart.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

Of all teams the Flyers don’t need a change… But if they do I hope it keeps the Flyers feel, with the sleeve length yoke. I actually really like the current shade of orange, and even the contrasting nameplate on the home sweater. (Mostly because it’s true to the throwback that way) It would be very disappointing if they  are just going to change to something generic. The Flyers honestly could have worn their set for the rest of time, like a lot of the O6 teams. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 1/16/2023 at 2:33 PM, elliott said:

It would appear that the vertical side panels are even worse than they initially looked….spacer.png

I don't know, guys, I'm getting some real warm feelings of nostalgia with this one. It looks just like a sweater my grandma bought from a souvenir shop in Sedona back in '89. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

On 1/14/2023 at 4:41 PM, Sodboy13 said:

As for the Canucks, I don't get it. Why screw up your throwback just enough.to make it a technically new jersey that looks worse? This looks like a failed Reverse Retro attempt.

They're like these Kings alternates

gettyimages-1393242966.jpg

Too close to the original uniforms to make sense as their own thing. They look like someone tried to draw the Kings 93 uniforms from memory without looking at a reference photo. Just wear the throwbacks exactly as they were. 

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

16 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Yeah I'm not sure how unpopular this is, but I think this might be the best in look Flyers history.

I don't know what you mean by "mean and hard nosed" though, as its pretty hard for me to associate that to orange as a whole.

agreed on best flyers look in history

and 'mean and hard-nosed' is me comparing it to the new orange and probably just more associating the old orange with the broad st bullies and big beefy 90s teams

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

I actually really like the current shade of orange, and even the contrasting nameplate on the home sweater. (Mostly because it’s true to the throwback that way) 

You realize that the white nameplates were worn on the orange jerseys for one season, right? The league forced them to add player names to their away jerseys in the '70s, so they just used the same ones that were already on their home jerseys. For the rest of the '70s/'80s/'90s their orange jerseys always had white names.

• Like 4

Re; Yotes third: I like it. It's something bold and original, and not just a half-assed throwback that's been altered slightly for the sake of making people buy it again (*cough*Vancouver*cough*). Sure, maybe it's not the best jersey they've ever worn, but it's at least unique; and we all know unique jerseys are the ones that get more beloved with time anyways (ex: Fisherman, Wild Wing, Burger King, Tampa Storm, etc.)

Besides, the wordmark on the jersey gives me heavy 80's vibes, like something you'd see out of the WHA.

Re; Flyers nameplates: The white nameplates have always looked ugly as hell, I hope they stop using them entirely with the new jerseys. Orange nameplates are historically the much more prominent (and better-looking) option.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 2:33 PM, elliott said:

It would appear that the vertical side panels are even worse than they initially looked….spacer.png

19 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

I mean… Wouldn’t be the worst alternate in the league. *cough* dallas *cough*

That is....certainly something. Decent idea theoretically...just not well executed. It's too bland—much like the colorway. Speaking of that, someone asked what the Coyotes' "color scheme" is: ever since '97 I always saw it as black with forest green and [what I thought at the time was] brick red added in with sand. Of course that only became more convoluted when the green third jerseys with the purple and orange came out...at that point I didn't so much associate "colors" with the Coyotes as much as "desert". Then they went full CCCP on us for those couple years, which this alt seems based on. Problem is, the sedona is too muted and the sand too bland. If I were to suggest a new colorway, I'd stick with the southwest blue (okay, purple) and orange they already use, with green and sand to spell it.

44 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

You realize that the white nameplates were worn on the orange jerseys for one season, right? The league forced them to add player names to their away jerseys in the '70s, so they just used the same ones that were already on their home jerseys. For the rest of the '70s/'80s/'90s their orange jerseys always had white names.

Did not know it was a one-season thing. That said, thanks for providing the backstop. It's interesting to see how weird little quirks like that come up—and now that I see that, that should be even more of a reason for the Flyers to keep it—like the one-logo-on-side-of-helmet Steelers, it's their own little unconventional thing that no one else has.  (Oh and add me into the camp that a/ thinks the Flyers don't need to change a thing and b/ sees no good way in which a jersey change ends well.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

6 minutes ago, kiwi_canadian said:

More Canucks pics:

FmxcHDHWQB44evo?format=jpg&name=largeFmxcHU0WQOYsw6u?format=jpg&name=large

Essentially an adidas Mix Tape jersey. I sort of like it, but it's not in my top-10 of anything.  The hanger effects are getting better, which is cool. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Can't even get rid of the Agency font for it, they really didn't please anybody with this one lmfao

The Coyotes third may be underwhelming to some, but at least it's creative and taking bold risks. This is just half-assedly mashing identities together and hoping it sticks. If they wanted something new but still wanted to bring back the Skate era...why not just make a white Skate jersey? That'd sell like hotcakes to go with the black version they already did.

• Like 2
  • Huh? 1

57 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The Coyotes third may be underwhelming to some, but at least it's creative and taking bold risks.

lol

The moon captain patch is the only thing that works, and the cactus A patch kind of negates that. 

The colours are baffling- didn't they just ditch the brick red and sand to go back to the 90s scheme? 

The cactus pants are dumb. 

The striping is... not great. It's like a KO version of the kachina and the way it's applied looks cheap. This isn't even an Adidas problem. Their stripes usually aren't so shoddy looking. 

The side panel kachina is overkill. 

The wordmark is the ultimate "its 4:45 on a Friday" show of "effort." 

1 hour ago, kiwi_canadian said:

More Canucks pics:

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't get the hate. 

It looks like a fairly straightforward "mixing of eras" sweater.

• Like 3

On 1/16/2023 at 1:33 PM, elliott said:

Awkward The Office GIF

Huge letdown...these ain't it.

• Like 1

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

The moon captain patch is the only thing that works, and the cactus A patch kind of negates that. 

I just realized that the Yotes don't even have a captain, so the only jerseys the moon patch will be on would be custom ones worn by fans.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

More Canucks pics:

Bad. Looks like  the Canadian Tire/Walmart knockoff jerseys you in see the sports section for 30 bucks.

Also arguably the worst part of the current Canucks identity is the number font, so of course they carried that part over.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

lol

The colours are baffling- didn't they just ditch the brick red and sand to go back to the 90s scheme? 

The cactus pants are dumb. 

The striping is... not great. It's like a KO version of the kachina and the way it's applied looks cheap. This isn't even an Adidas problem. Their stripes usually aren't so shoddy looking. 

The side panel kachina is overkill. 

The wordmark is the ultimate "its 4:45 on a Friday" show of "effort." 

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't get the hate. 

It looks like a fairly straightforward "mixing of eras" sweater.

I’m with you , the only thing that really works is the word mark and captain patch. After that, this is probably something you see up in Flagstaff as a sweatshirt if you take away the numbers. Drab and boring and misses the mark