2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

On 1/18/2023 at 6:47 PM, tBBP said:

Okay—I just got a better look at this. What exactly were they going for with that script? Looks like a one-click Illustrator Live Trace job...

It’s supposed to look rocky. Rhuigi’s vision was a shooting star over Camelback Mountain. The stripes and the way they turn up the side  are meant to evoke a classic bandanna design, something that he sees as a symbol of Southwestern and Latin culture and a motif that shows up often in his early work.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 5

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

10 minutes ago, bowld said:

Anyone else think that when shown side by side the old version  just looks outdated? Obviously the collar is crap but the white in the logo makes the logo seem off now when compared to the new one-

spacer.pngspacer.png

Agreed, I'm confused on the hate for the new alternate, because unlike the Kings alternate this one builds on the previous look to make a solid Third, similar to the new Goathead.  I will concede the agency font looks terrible, but I prefer the single outline to the double outline.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, infernoqueso said:

Agreed, I'm confused on the hate for the new alternate, because unlike the Kings alternate this one builds on the previous look to make a solid Third, similar to the new Goathead.  I will concede the agency font looks terrible, but I prefer the single outline to the double outline.  

The jersey itself does look better the last one for a lot of the reasons that others have stated above. The updated logo and elimination of white make the jersey more legible, which is a big improvement over the other version and warrants some praise.

I think that most of the hate is a result of the Canucks struggling to keep a consistent visual identity, not so much the jersey itself. Of course other issues have been pointed out that are specifically about the jersey (weird stripe effect), but I'd assume that a decent amount of the backlash is coming from those who want the team to actually embrace their blue and green identity instead of going back and forth between color schemes constantly.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bowld said:

Anyone else think that when shown side by side the old version  just looks outdated? Obviously the collar is crap but the white in the logo makes the logo seem off now when compared to the new one-

spacer.pngspacer.png

I'm glad I'm not a Canucks fan, because this would drive me crazy.

YYuWaPy.png

• Like 1
  • Yawn 2

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

4 hours ago, bowld said:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Not really. The appeal of the skate is nostalgia, so of course it’s dated. But the new one misses that. It looks like a Chinese knock off jersey you’d get off ebay for 30 bucks that gets the details wrong.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 2

Exactly; the Skate as a logo and jersey is inherently a dated design, so you can't really "modernize" it without missing the core appeal of the look to begin with. It's a time capsule of a bygone era, not a timeless look that can withstand age.

There's a reason they eventually ditched the identity entirely, after all, and it wasn't because "muh Orca Bay" because they were looking at changing by the end of the 80's.

15 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Exactly; the Skate as a logo and jersey is inherently a dated design, so you can't really "modernize" it without missing the core appeal of the look to begin with. It's a time capsule of a bygone era, not a timeless look that can withstand age.

There's a reason they eventually ditched the identity entirely, after all, and it wasn't because "muh Orca Bay" because they were looking at changing by the end of the 80's.

And the idea that it’s what “fans really want” is a recent phenomenon. Nobody cared when it went away at the end of the 90s. When they brought back the stick-in-rink for the first time everyone was freaking out over that and said they should go back to that full time. When they brought back the Skate for the first time in 2015, nobody really cared then either. It wasn’t until 2019 when the 90s nostalgia was in full swing that people really started hyping up the skate. And in 10 years it will be something else, because this design being popular is a fad.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IceCap said:

In miss the orange NHL logo

The orange logo is excellent for nostalgia merch. But I kinda prefer the modernized silver version for regular stuff. The font is sharper and the silver matches the color of the Stanley Cup pretty much.

• Like 6
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

It’s supposed to look rocky. Rhuigi’s vision was a shooting star over Camelback Mountain. The stripes and the way they turn up the side  are meant to evoke a classic bandanna design, something that he sees as a symbol of Southwestern and Latin culture and a motif that shows up often in his early work.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Of course not following the Coyotes I didn't know anything about any of this or who a Rhuigi was, so I did a little background research and it turns out dude's been in the fashion design/streetwear biz for quite a while now.

For anyone else curious about this Rhuigi Villasenor, here's a Forbes article on him, which also partly tells how he became involved with the Coyotes:

Rhuigi Villaseñor Of Rhude Becomes Head Creative Of NHL’s Arizona Coyotes (forbes.com)

Back to the jersey...seeing his previous work with paisley does indeed explain the stripped-down kachina pattern (which I feel like the Coyotes could use to pretty great effect so long as they don't go too far out the box with it). As for that chest script, thanks Andy for explaining the inspiration. The final execution doesn't really do it for me personally (but then, these weren't designed for me either 😄), but at least now I know what led to the styling of the final piece. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

8 hours ago, bowld said:

spacer.pngspacer.png

probably an unpopular opinion, but I enjoy the removal of white in the logo but miss the white around the numbers 

• Like 1

I enjoy the 2023 NHL All-Star jerseys. Brings back some good memories of growing up and, being able to see them again.

The icing on the cake would be if the teams kept their current glove colors of their current team. I loved that subtle detail of being able to pinpoint a player on the ice based on the team colors of the gloves they wore. 

• Love 1

4kv29i.jpg