2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

The ads in the spaces are removed for national TV games, so there’s a good chance a lot of the floors you’ve seen with blank spaces normally have those areas filled.

Thinking ahead, it would be nice if the league used that space for Playoffs/Finals logos during the postseason instead of adding them digitally on the court.

• Like 12

On 1/24/2023 at 12:47 AM, Old School Fool said:

Anybody notice the Magic's Statement court has stars in the college lane? More proof that eliminating those lines isn't a good idea, it really limits creativity in what you can do.

FfsbkbWWAAA-W9Q?format=jpg&name=4096x409

It's a fair point, but there's also nothing stopping them from doing that same design even if the college lanes weren't there. They could've just been black strips on the long sides of a rectangle and it would have still been a creative design. 

• Like 5

The college lines made the floors look like those high-school fields that have football markings with soccer lines over top of it or lax or something.  They serve absolutely no purpose in the NBA so other than to save money there's no reason for them.  They just make it look like they couldn't afford their own court.

aerial-view-of-football-field-with-track

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I agree if you're including the college three point line like so ...

img_4284-1.jpg?w=788

But, generally speaking the extra line in the key on a NBA court is fine and, in rare instances like the Magic's court, it can look good.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

18 minutes ago, kimball said:

I agree if you're including the college three point line like so ...

img_4284-1.jpg?w=788

But, generally speaking the extra line in the key on a NBA court is fine and, in rare instances like the Magic's court, it can look good.

Completely unrelated to the discussion (though I agree about the college 3-point line) but man that court is so good. Just the right amount of 90s cheese. Blows nearly everything the Hornets do nowadays out of the water. I'd want the honeycomb wood pattern and then it's perfect.

• Like 3

the user formerly known as cdclt

5 hours ago, BBTV said:

The college lines made the floors look like those high-school fields that have football markings with soccer lines over top of it or lax or something.  They serve absolutely no purpose in the NBA so other than to save money there's no reason for them.  They just make it look like they couldn't afford their own court.

The lane looks too square without them.

4 hours ago, CDCLT said:

Completely unrelated to the discussion (though I agree about the college 3-point line) but man that court is so good. Just the right amount of 90s cheese. Blows nearly everything the Hornets do nowadays out of the water. I'd want the honeycomb wood pattern and then it's perfect.

Maybe as a piece of standalone art, but it was unbearable to actually watch a game on it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chakfu said:

The lane looks too square without them.

That's fine if it's your opinion, but is there any other sport where you'd advocate putting lines on the field for games that have nothing to do with the one you're watching?  It's not totally analogous, but my example of the football field with soccer lines is similar in concept to what you're advocating for.

If college floors weren't ever shared with NBA floors, and the lines didn't overlap, would anyone care?  It's one of those things where it's the way it's always been and people were used to it.  I think it looks more professional now.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

That's fine if it's your opinion, but is there any other sport where you'd advocate putting lines on the field for games that have nothing to do with the one you're watching?  It's not totally analogous, but my example of the football field with soccer lines is similar in concept to what you're advocating for.

If college floors weren't ever shared with NBA floors, and the lines didn't overlap, would anyone care?  It's one of those things where it's the way it's always been and people were used to it.  I think it looks more professional now.

I agree. The only logical reason to include college lines would be if this were an issue of cost, which I'm sure it isn't.

At one point in time, I'm sure including the college lines was a practical decision in the off chance an NBA arena hosted a college game and it didn't want the expense of creating an additional court design. But today, NBA teams make new courts to match alternate uniforms, so I have a feeling investing in a floor for college games -- or even just the panels around the key — isn't an onerous expense.  

15 hours ago, BBTV said:

I disagree. Having the lanes there makes it look less bare and adds contrast, not to mention it's what I have grown up watching.

Look at the Lakers  Forum court and try to tell me it will work without the college lanes. It doesn't work, the red adds contrast

spacer.png

In fact, here is the original Forum court. It didn't have the college lines and you can see how wrong it looks.

spacer.png

It also makes for better design in general. You can't just put little vertical splashes of paint and consider it a contrast, it's supported by the line itself too for it to really work.

13543387105_7990291aa1_z.jpg

• Like 5
  • Dislike 1

bSLCtu2.png

22 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

It's a fair point, but there's also nothing stopping them from doing that same design even if the college lanes weren't there. They could've just been black strips on the long sides of a rectangle and it would have still been a creative design. 

This is the best answer - keep the complementary strips/lanes, just take off the college markings. 

• Like 4

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

i feel like a good amount of teams would visually benefit from from college lines. for example teams with single colored courts like the warriors and timberwolves. they both had college lines and i thought it looked so much better with the bit of extra contrast (warriors especially with all that yellow and them making that college marked court pretty iconic)

it also leaves room for different colored strips for even more contrast (though i guess the college lines itself wouldn’t really be needed as mentioned) but anyways i just hope they don’t remove the college lines for teams like the celtics and heat. they look really good with it. and the magic did a great move by adding them to their court. i’d like to see a team like the sixers do it next. their court could really use some contrast with all that blue

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

I disagree. Having the lanes there makes it look less bare and adds contrast, not to mention it's what I have grown up watching.

Look at the Lakers  Forum court and try to tell me it will work without the college lanes. It doesn't work, the red adds contrast

spacer.png

In fact, here is the original Forum court. It didn't have the college lines and you can see how wrong it looks.

spacer.png

It also makes for better design in general. You can't just put little vertical splashes of paint and consider it a contrast, it's supported by the line itself too for it to really work.

I see these examples, but for the life of me I can't really see what makes anyone think one works while the other doesn't.  Why exactly do you need more color contrast than what's already on the example without college lines? 

And even it's only about aesthetics, and not about functionality, what would stop a team from using the wider space without college lines to do something more creative with the design? 

Celtics look great with the white jerseys and green accessories. I wish more teams did directly contrasting accessories colors using their secondary accents with their jerseys. Never made sense to me when I see them wear black accessories with white jerseys. 

• Like 11

22 hours ago, BBTV said:

Don't forget high school  basketball games.  Sometimes an arena might host a HS game hours or a day before or after a NBA game.

2 hours ago, sayahh said:

Don't forget high school  basketball games.  Sometimes an arena might host a HS game hours or a day before or after a NBA game.

Do any NBA courts still have multiple 3-point lines?  I haven't seen every arena in a while.

18 minutes ago, mafiaman said:

Further proving how hideous that 76’ers redesign was.   One of the worst logo changes of all time.  Yuck.

I don’t think it’s the worst of all time. It might be analogous to the Blue Jays becoming the Black Jays, but that’s subjective. 

I do think the court looks ridiculous. Between the swooshing basketballs on the sidelines to the painted college lines and the black extending up into the circle, it’s just a disaster. 

the version used at the end of the Spectrum / start of CC days was much better 

(I don’t actually remember if this was used at spectrum). This is from a video game so not 100% accurate but close enough. 

12337_big.jpg