MLB Regular Season 22: The Thread

Gary

On 9/21/2022 at 5:13 PM, BBTV said:

yeah he's a total dbag.  I saw him once in Philly running around all over the place trying to get balls.  IIRC, he was even wearing a jersey with his name on it and acting like a celebrity.

Kudos to the Rockies usher who put him in his place.

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2022/08/rockies-usher-john-hands-zack-hample-another-l.html

and more

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2022/09/colorado-rockies-usher-expounds-on-viral-zack-hample-encounter.html

That Rockies usher is a hero. I saw Zack Hample once at a Reds game 10 or so years ago and I was second hand embarrassed for him. I don't wear a glove to baseball games because I'm an adult in my mid 30's, but if you want to that's your right and it doesn't interfere with anyone else's good time. What does interfere with people's good time is running around to sections you're not ticketed to be in, bumping people out of the way for home run balls, stealing balls from kids, bothering guys on the field/bullpen, and being a general pest to the stadium staff and other fans. 

Hample thinks the rules don't apply to him and the people I understand the least in sports are Zack Hample defenders. The Rockies usher did the right thing. Hample threw a temper tantrum* and then made a video about it trying to paint himself as the victim and the semi-retired 70 year old usher who's just enforcing the rules as some cranky jerk drunk on power. What Hample didn't show is that the guy asked him several times not to run in the handicapped seating area and several times Hample ignored him. If I'm ever at a game and I see that dude I'm boxing him out like Dennis Rodman. 

*I'm not a psychologist, but any 45 year old man obsessed with catching baseballs and who acts like that reads a little uhhhh...."neurodivergent", if you get my drift. 

• Applause 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

A historic moment that dozens of viewers watched live… on Apple TV. 

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Congrats on 700 Albert! This will most likely happen for a long, long time. 

On a side note, jeez, seeing a player who made his major league debut the same year you were born do that makes you feel pretty dang old. 

xFUdNmt.png

4 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I have Apple TV. I got to see #699 then I figured I had a little time before he came up to bat again. Walked back into the room just in time...to see him celebrating #700.  But yeah, having the game on Apple TV didn't do MLB fans any favors.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

2 minutes ago, Kooky01 said:

Congrats on 700 Albert! This will most likely happen for a long, long time. 

On a side note, jeez, seeing a player who made his major league debut the same year you were born do that makes you feel pretty dang old. 

You think that makes you feel old? You should try being older than him like I am. 😎 I've seen his entire career.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

I’m so happy for Albert. This season has been a fun ride and I couldn’t imagine any scenario where he would get to 700 when the season began.

I just wish I could have seen it live. I’ve got two kids under 4 and West coast games start after my bedtime and if we’re being totally honest here, I didn’t expect him to hit one, let alone two dingers the way the offense has been sputtering lately. It would have been awesome for Albert to do it at home, can’t wait til next Sunday when I get to see him in person and Busch one last time. It’s been amazing to see him come full circle with the Cardinals and remind everyone else how great he really is. We all forgot about Pujols in LA and he did fall off a cliff. I do wonder, if he had stayed in STL, with a club that isn’t apparently dysfunctional and incompetent, if the second half of his career would have been better. He might be the HR king himself? Doesn’t matter though, that’s not how it went. I grew up watching the Cardinals every day and Pujols was my hero. He was unstoppable for 10 years and I cried like a baby on my girlfriend’s shoulder (who is now my wife) at 17 years old when he left and I was angry for quite a while. I got to see him come back to St Louis in 2019 and the ovation in person was incredible. I love baseball and I’m so happy we have all been reminded of the greatness of Albert Pujols because he deserves this after the lost years with the Angels.

sidenote: I hate that it happened in Appletv. That broadcast sucks

1 hour ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Crazy how the man turns back the clock in his return to StL after declining in Anaheim and LA,

Yeah, it is crazy.  Wonder when the last time he peed into a cup was.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, dont care said:

You really think we won’t see anyone else hit 700 with how reliant some teams are on HR it seems like we’ll see more and more 

Yes tbh. We’ve been playing baseball since 1869 and only four people have done it, with one (maybe two) being aided by banned substances. 700 is just an insane number. It’d take a special talent to break in at a young age, and stay relatively injury free his whole career against rapidly improving pitching, which isn’t impossible but highly unlikely. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

As someone who fell in love with baseball due to the '98 Sosa/McGwire HR chase, this is, to me, the most exciting HR year we've had since then. As someone who didn't like Barry Bonds, I'm somewhat biased here, but the fact that there are two milestones being chased/accomplished makes it more exciting.

• Like 1

How in the world did they allow for it to get this bad before calling for the tarp?  At some point isn't there liability issues?

On 9/23/2022 at 10:43 PM, BBTV said:

I've seen this same sort of comment on Twitter, too, but wasn't the game free? All you had to do was download the app. 

I get that if you've been following your team on your local RSN all season that this might be annoying, but it seems like a minor inconvenience. By contrast, I'm a cord-cutter that's been blocked from watching the Cardinals here in St. Louis because the RSN isn't available on the service I use. The Apple broadcast was one of the few televised Cardinals games this year that I was able to watch. 

I do, however, feel bad for the Cardinals' local commentators. Dan McLaughlin had, from what I've been told, been doing a fantastic game of calling the run up to 700. It was a shame he wasn't at the mic during the big moment. 

• Like 1