MLB Regular Season 22: The Thread

Gary

I had thought they might reduce the divisional games down to 13/opponent, but then I read that it would be 14 and the league opponent games would all be 6 instead of 8 at 6 and 1 from each division at 7. Now it turns out it is in fact 13 and 6/7. I would've taken those 2 extra league games and applied them to the interleague rival, so it would be 6 games, 3 at each home park instead of just 2. I'd have imagined they'd prefer the Yankees-Mets, Dodgers-Angels, Cardinals-Roy... Cubs-White Sox for 6 games instead of 4. Doesn't really make sense.

EDIT: Looking through the schedule, I hate the Yankees, but wouldn't MLB rather have them and the Mets play 3 games at Yankee Stadium AND 3 games at Citi Field as opposed to just 2 at each place? Instead, they're playing an extra game at Texas and at Detroit.

On 8/24/2022 at 11:43 AM, TrueYankee26 said:

Leave it to the Reds farm system to be so barren they had to sign a dead dictator😅 *ducks tomatoes*

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The Mariners have a rare national TV appearance, so I'm watching them on FS1.

There was just a lengthy conversation about a player confronting the umpire after watching their at-bat, and seeing all three called strikes against him were incorrect.

All of the TV stations have a live strike zone box. Why aren't balls and strikes automated at this point? I don't mind some variance, but there are way too many stories of umpires dramatically affecting games with whatever strike zone they have that night.

Can it just be automated?

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

9 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The Mariners have a rare national TV appearance, so I'm watching them on FS1.

There was just a lengthy conversation about a player confronting the umpire after watching their at-bat, and seeing all three called strikes against him were incorrect.

All of the TV stations have a live strike zone box. Why aren't balls and strikes automated at this point? I don't mind some variance, but there are way too many stories of umpires dramatically affecting games with whatever strike zone they have that night.

Can it just be automated?

They're testing it in the minors. There have been some inconsistencies and inaccuracies I believe. Probably will see it in MLB in the next couple or years.

• Like 2

I hate this current White Sox. The first time in team history that they get to the postseason in consecutive seasons and this team with supposed WS aspirations can't beat the lowly Diamondbacks. The only way I see the American League counterpart getting out of this mess is if the Reinsdorf family has been found to be paying hush money for years or did some other unspeakable inhuman thing.

Oh who am I kidding? This team would still be screwed in some inconceivable way. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

5 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

The reason they haven't introduced the pitch clock to the majors is because it would have immediately solved the pace of play problem and Manfred & co. would lose their boogeyman that they say is the reason for all of their other braindead stupid rule changes.

I don't like the idea of a timer as yet another chyron on a baseball telecast, and I don't like changes to the rules of baseball. I think we should have been treating the rules of baseball with the same reverence that the rest of the world has for the Laws of the Game. But the numbers don't lie. Stop pitchers from pondering the meaning of life between pitches and time of game goes back to pre-Red Sox levels with nothing else changing. It has to be done.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 8/24/2022 at 4:55 PM, McCall said:

I had thought they might reduce the divisional games down to 13/opponent, but then I read that it would be 14 and the league opponent games would all be 6 instead of 8 at 6 and 1 from each division at 7. Now it turns out it is in fact 13 and 6/7. I would've taken those 2 extra league games and applied them to the interleague rival, so it would be 6 games, 3 at each home park instead of just 2. I'd have imagined they'd prefer the Yankees-Mets, Dodgers-Angels, Cardinals-Roy... Cubs-White Sox for 6 games instead of 4. Doesn't really make sense.

EDIT: Looking through the schedule, I hate the Yankees, but wouldn't MLB rather have them and the Mets play 3 games at Yankee Stadium AND 3 games at Citi Field as opposed to just 2 at each place? Instead, they're playing an extra game at Texas and at Detroit.

I would assume the setup is for scheduling purposes — if you went to a plan of 13/division, 6/league and 3/interleague (6/interleague rival), you'd only be set up for four 4-game series / eight 2-game series the entire season, with everything else being 3-game series. Doing it this way allows them to have a healthy mix of 2-, 3- and 4-game sets inside the division, plus the flexibility for a pair of 2-game sets in interleague and some additional 2- and 4-game sets against league opponents. I'd guess there's scheduling advantages to that.

6fQjS3M.png

On 8/28/2022 at 4:47 PM, Alex Houston said:

I hate this current White Sox. The first time in team history that they get to the postseason in consecutive seasons

so, they've never made the postseason in consecutive legitimate season, then.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/866084345727287316/1014028916337418240/unknown.png

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

53Ocz8U.png

18 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

so, they've never made the postseason in consecutive legitimate season, then.

I'm not going to argue over legitimate seasons. My point about lamenting their ineptitude still stands. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday."