MLB Regular Season 22: The Thread

Gary

4 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

As if the world needed another reason to hate the Yankees. 

2 guys in scoring position, with miggy at the plate, 0-1 game, you have to walk him in that situation. It wasn’t a slight by them, it was just strategy. I’m a Red Sox fan and I see no issue with this.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Since Phil Castellini asked fans " where you gonna go?" and  “sell the team to who?” on Opening Day, the Reds have lost 10 straight games by a combined score of 63-20, they’ve had a lead for 18 pitches, and the team owns the worst record in baseball at 2-12.

Prior to last nights game former Red Nick Castellanos (now with the Phillies) told Chris Rose that the Reds didnt even call him. He said he feels sorry for the fans. The Reds meanwhile desperate to keep fans announced a couple of Bengals to throw the first pitch, and Hunter Greene (making his home debut) begged fans on social media to come to the game, only to receive replys of "sorry. we support you but we cant support Bob and Phil." and "You'll see a sea of red, its just gonna be empty seats."

Last night was only the third home game of the season. Attendance was listed as 20,470 but that was likely paid attendance as the ballpark was actually about half of that. Fans wearing bags over their heads were told by stadium officials that they had to remove the bags.

• Like 4

Signature intentionally left blank

12 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Prior to last nights game former Red Nick Castellanos (now with the Phillies) told Chris Rose that the Reds didnt even call him. He said he feels sorry for the fans. The Reds meanwhile desperate to keep fans announced a couple of Bengals to throw the first pitch, and Hunter Greene (making his home debut) begged fans on social media to come to the game, only to receive replys of "sorry. we support you but we cant support Bob and Phil." and "You'll see a sea of red, its just gonna be empty seats."

I like Hunter Greene and think he has the potential to be a great player in this league. But let's be real, Cincy is going to get him ready for his prime, just so they'll eventually trade him to a larger market. I'm trying not to get attached to him because I know what's gonna happen.

1 hour ago, DoctorWhom said:

It's the Yankees, what do you expect? 

Hide contents

Totally not biased at all. 

I mean, people from the northeast are notorious a**holes, from Boston to Washington.

Source: I currently live in the northeast (and might subconsciously be one of them 🙍‍♂️)

12 hours ago, Dynasty said:

I like Hunter Greene and think he has the potential to be a great player in this league. But let's be real, Cincy is going to get him ready for his prime, just so they'll eventually trade him to a larger market. I'm trying not to get attached to him because I know what's gonna happen.

Bingo! The Reds are just MLBs minor league system

It's interesting listening to Karl Ravech call the SNF game between Milwaukee and Philadelphia tonight. He is sort of going after the crappy strike zone of Angel Hernandez. Justifiably, but I'm not sure I have heard it delivered out of a national broadcast like this.

He's flat out said 'that was off the plate' with a tone of disgust or unbelief at how off it is.

FWIW - Perez and Cone aren't arguing with his presentation, either.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

The Reds snapped their 11 game losing skid. Also coming to an end was a 99 inning streak without leading after an inning.

On Friday, a local news crew was interview fans in their seats with bags over their heads. An usher interrupted that interview telling the fans to take off the bags. That made its rounds on social media pissing off fans. Yesterday, a fan in the diamond seats (behind home plate) was threatened with ejection if he didnt remove his bag. That video made its rounds on social media pissing off fans even more. I havent heard of any bag trouble today but I did see that supposedly ushers have now been told not to tell fans to remove their bags.

Maybe while negotiating  the new CBA, the players should have stipulated that Angel Hernandez gets his bum ass thrown out of the league?

Seriously, I don't recall there being an umpire as famous (or rather infamous) as Hernandez just for how awful they are.   

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DoctorWhom said:

Maybe while negotiating  the new CBA, the players should have stipulated that Angel Hernandez gets his bum ass thrown out of the league?

Seriously, I don't recall there being an umpire as famous (or rather infamous) as Hernandez just for how awful they are.   

Things to notice:

Hader's facial expression as he walks off the mound following the call

Schwarber accurately pointing out how he was speaking for both dugout

The Brewer dugout sort watching like 'Yeah, he's got a point'

Of note, ESPN really hammered Hernandez in coverage post game AND on the later Sportscenter.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

7 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Things to notice:

Hader's facial expression as he walks off the mound following the call

Schwarber accurately pointing out how he was speaking for both dugout

The Brewer dugout sort watching like 'Yeah, he's got a point'

Of note, ESPN really hammered Hernandez in coverage post game AND on the later Sportscenter.

What really shows off the size of this guy's misplaced ego is how he never even attempts to improve. I actually think he may know how bad he is, but rather than getting better, he looks at it as his chance at fame. But that may be giving his intelligence level too much credit. Either way, something has to be done.

• Like 1

Angel Hernandez is the most famous umpire in baseball, which means he's the worst umpire in baseball. 

Funny enough the umpire in the Reds-Cardinals game got something in his eye and had to be attended to by the trainers. I said, "An umpire that can't see? WHAT ELSE IS NEW?????"

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

44 minutes ago, Sport said:

Angel Hernandez is the most famous umpire in baseball, which means he's the worst umpire in baseball. 

Funny enough the umpire in the Reds-Cardinals game got something in his eye and had to be attended to by the trainers. I said, "An umpire that can't see? WHAT ELSE IS NEW?????"

The umpire behind the plate on Friday's game was damn near perfect. I was watching it on Apple TV+, and I don't think I saw one ball not called correctly based on the box they had up. Never saw anyone complain or anything. And I think he was a rather younger, newer-to-MLB umpire. Then you have Angel Hernandez, who's never actually even bothered to learn the strike zone in his 30+ years as a major league umpire, no matter how infamous he's become for being bad.

6 minutes ago, McCall said:

The umpire behind the plate on Friday's game was damn near perfect. I was watching it on Apple TV+, and I don't think I saw one ball not called correctly based on the box they had up. Never saw anyone complain or anything. And I think he was a rather younger, newer-to-MLB umpire. Then you have Angel Hernandez, who's never actually even bothered to learn the strike zone in his 30+ years as a major league umpire, no matter how infamous he's become for being bad.

He was pretty good. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Reds are reversing course .  After a weekend of games that saw several fans be threatened with ejection for wearing paper bags, Sell the team Bob signs, the team says it was a mistake on their part and will now allow fans to wear bags and bring signs expressing their displeasure with the team/ownership.  Phil Castellini apparently has also apologized to team employees via a letter for his remarks made on opening day.

2 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

The Reds are reversing course .  After a weekend of games that saw several fans be threatened with ejection for wearing paper bags, Sell the team Bob signs, the team says it was a mistake on their part and will now allow fans to wear bags and bring signs expressing their displeasure with the team/ownership.  Phil Castellini apparently has also apologized to team employees via a letter for his remarks made on opening day.

I've invented a term for this particular type of situation: "damage control".

I'm an innovator.

2 minutes ago, McCall said:

I've invented a term for this particular type of situation: "damage control".

I'm an innovator.

(channels inner Morgan Freeman voice) But it was too late. The damage had already been done.

49 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

David Roth organized my thoughts on this better than I could 

https://defector.com/where-is-the-window-for-the-cincinnati-reds/

"There’s something terribly grim and pre-defeated about the extent to which the idea of a “window of contention”—that bright period, however long, that happens between the years in which a team is not trying to win—has been accepted by fans across sports as a Powerful Business Fact. To accept that is not just to accept the primacy of ownership’s prerogative and profit, although it is absolutely also that; it is very literally taking a rich man or a consortium of rich men at their word when they tell you that they want what you want. But also, and more urgently, it is a capitulation. It’s opting out of the present entirely, and so consigning a big-league season or two or three (or more) to insignificance, in favor of a heavily abstracted and ultra-contingent future that, in many cases, tends to stay stuck at the same distance.

An important part of the reason Reds fans are currently refusing to accept this is that the team, which believed they were entering just such a period of contention in 2020 and 2021 and acted accordingly, decided to shut that window on principle before this season. In a mostly dreary National League Central, and with two new postseason spots to pursue, Reds ownership simply opted out of contention and into something else, turning away from one window in search of another, which either is or is not located down some dark hallway of varying length. Ownership’s reasons for this are not terribly hard to guess, although it’s unlikely that anyone with the last name Castellini will ever again be entrusted to defend them in public.

But at this point in the sport, the argument barely even needs to be made. The jargon and justification is familiar, and the calculation behind it is plain in a way it once wasn’t. Fans once were happy to think and talk about how efficient, optimized team-building practices might serve their teams—Moneyball, like all good business writing, makes executive calculation seem not just smart, but fun. But the triumph of that efficiency and optimization has by now created a landscape in which these practices mostly just serve to perpetuate themselves, and everything else just exists to serve them."

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png