MLB Regular Season 22: The Thread

Gary

37 minutes ago, Crabcake said:

Brewers experience the nadir of their season on April 11, as they got shut out by the Orioles. 

The Orioles have somehow won like 7 of the last 10 games I've been in attendance for, including today. It was also weird seeing, you know, people actually in the stands today. 

Also, it was great to have a beer and a hot dog and watch a baseball game. 

• Like 2

The Reds front office continue to alienate their fans and continue not to take the blame themselves. On the day of the Reds home opener Phil Castellini (Reds COO and son of owner Bob Castellini) talked about the fans frustrations with the team for trading away fan favorites, dumping payroll for minor league prospects, years of promises not kept, years of dismal seasons, not winning any postseason series and more. Fans have been calling for Bob to sell the team. This is what Phil said today to piss the fans off even more.

"You had my faith but you lost it, why should that fan maintain trust in them?  Where you gonna go? Sell the team to who? You wanna have this debate? If you wanna look at what would you do with this team to have it more profitable, make more money, compete more in the current economic system that this game exists. It would be to pick it up and move it somewhere else. Be careful what you ask for."

His response to that radio clip is just as bad

The lies that this family tells.  The fans are still gonna cheer for the Reds. The fans are still gonna be loyal to the players. What the fans are done with are the inept ownership for failure to maintain promises, lying to the fanbase, and refusing to take the blame for their own actions.

Heres the other thing. The Reds have a big ownership group of multiple people and companies. Bob Castellini is not the majority owner but he is the principal owner and he even isnt the richest owner of the current Reds ownership group. Bob is also 30th in the league when it comes to owners net worths. LAST IN THE LEAGUE. His produce company recently cut 150 jobs to restructure.  He spends thousands of dollars donating to political causes, yet cant afford to keep fan favorites or bring in big names. He just cant afford to run the team. Fans have lost interest in baseball and new fans are hard to come by these days. The amount of season ticket holders has nose dived in Cincinnati (several jumped ship for FC Cincinnati and the Bengals). The only time they can get decent attendance is for Opening Day, a bobblehead giveaway or anything Big Red Machine and Pete Rose.  If he wants to keep the fans who have remained he needs to sell the team. Sadly, he wont sell and when he croaks will likely pass the team down to Phil to dig the teams grave even further.

Signature intentionally left blank

I mean, I semi-respect the audacity to come right out and say publicly what every Big 4 exec in a non major market says in private.

On the other hand, I hope the consequences are unrelenting and vicious from Reds fans.  What a slap in the face.

• Like 6
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

*Kershaw misses playoffs due to injury

*Kershaw doesn’t even pick up a baseball until a couple months ago to avoid TJ

*Kershaw unable to build up due to lockout shortened Spring Training

*Kershaw fully happy being pulled from perfect game bid to avoid possible injury

*Hot take artists commence whining

• Like 5

VmWIn6B.png

19 minutes ago, LMU said:

*Kershaw fully happy being pulled from perfect game bid to avoid possible injury

I mean, don't get me wrong, I actually understand the decision. It's early and being in a cold, outdoor stadium doesn't help either and I did not think he would have finished the game. But I also would thought he had another 5 to 10 pitches in him. 

I saw, I came, I left.

30 minutes ago, LMU said:

I don't think it's a hot take to say what a shame it is he didn't give the 8th a shot.  An 80-pitch perfect game going into the final two innings doesn't exactly occur with regularity.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I don't chew tobacco, but I'm going to start chewing tobacco just to spit it out in disgust with pulling a starting pitcher after seven perfect innings. bleep bloop he could have gotten injured bleep bloop baseball players injure themselves schlepping groceries, sneezing, and jacking off, I'll take my chances with the thing they do for a living, Jesus Christ, this bloodless game

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I don't chew tobacco, but I'm going to start chewing tobacco just to spit it out in disgust with pulling a starting pitcher after seven perfect innings.

You can get the same effect with Big League Chew and it tastes a whole lot better.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

I get that having umps announce challenge reviews sounded like a good idea. But if all they are saying is 'the call stands' or 'the call is overturned', it really isn't useful.

Has anyone heard any more than that in a game you've watched?

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I get that having umps announce challenge reviews sounded like a good idea. But if all they are saying is 'the call stands' or 'the call is overturned', it really isn't useful.

Has anyone heard any more than that in a game you've watched?

I haven’t watched a single pitch of baseball this year, so I can’t honestly answer your question, but I’m gonna assume the answer is a big fat “no.” Which is exactly what everyone should have expected. It’s like the baseball media and fans all collectively misread MLB’s statement and thought that umps would be mic’d up during the actual review process or something, and not just vocalize what they already were communicating nonverbally. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

Since Phil Castellini (Reds President, COO, and son of owner Bob Castellini) opened his mouth and told fans " Where you gonna go? Sell the team to who? and to cheer the team and have faith", the Reds have now lost 7 straight games by a combined score of 47-16, have had a lead for just 9 pitches, and have the worst record in baseball.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 12:54 AM, Dilbert said:

Since Phil Castellini (Reds President, COO, and son of owner Bob Castellini) opened his mouth and told fans " Where you gonna go? Sell the team to who? and to cheer the team and have faith", the Reds have now lost 7 straight games by a combined score of 47-16, have had a lead for just 9 pitches, and have the worst record in baseball.

Update:  Its now 9 straight losses and 59-18, by a combined score of 59-18. Hard to tell if they really are that bad or if they are tanking. Either way the Reds are off on Thursday and return home Friday with the Cardinals.  It will be interesting to see if the Reds can outdo Oaklands laughable crowd of 3,748