MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

I guess it matches the W in their first logo, but it clashes with the wordmark. It would look better if the sides were straight.

It would look even better if it didn't even exist and they just went with the DC - or maybe even just a D.  But definitely DC.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, Sport said:

The Reds field of dreams uniforms. Always wanted to see what a batting helmet would look like if they tried to match the pinstripes of the hats. Good effort, but not quite right. 

i think that helmet looks awesome. i think you just have to award the A for effort and overlook some pretty minor quibbles, since they're working in different profiles/materials.

• Like 1

sig2024.png

3 hours ago, Sport said:

The Reds field of dreams uniforms. Always wanted to see what a batting helmet would look like if they tried to match the pinstripes of the hats. Good effort, but not quite right. 

They're missing the front pair of pintripes that go behind the sides of the C. The have the middle one on it's own from the brim of the hat, but then the ones to either side of hit are missing on the helmet.

FZo99k2WYAAMS38?format=jpg&name=4096x409

If you look close, it looks like all the stripes are hand painted, with the navy (or black?) ones being painted first, then the red band on top (you can see the stripes through the red band.)

Given what that takes (especially considering all the ridges in the helmet, which you can kinda see in the back, I'm more than willing to give them a pass for omitting the stripes that would go behind the C.  You'd be able to see them bleed through, which would be no good.  They could have done the brim ones - not sure why they'd go so far only to skip those, unless they thought that since they wouldn't have crown stripes to connect to, they weren't needed?

Overall, great job with this.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just realized these were posted in the 2023 thread.  Maybe a mod could merge them into the 2022 one.

21 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Baseball is usually city-centric, but this is like saying the Wisconsin Badgers should wear a M on their helmets because they’re only the University of Wisconsin-Madison and don’t represent the other colleges in the state. 

I don’t see a problem with the Texas Rangers wearing a T. 

College sports is a different aesthetic with different expectations.

Still, SMU introduced a D logo and Dallas jerseys which seem to have gone over well with their fanbase. 

21 minutes ago, NicDB said:

College sports is a different aesthetic with different expectations.

Still, SMU introduced a D logo and Dallas jerseys which seem to have gone over well with their fanbase. 

SMU's D-Dallas logo is still just an alternate look, much like a DFW hat for the Rangers could be with City Connect or something. SMU doesn't have a state in its name so it's still not quite apples-to-apples to the Texas Rangers. 

There's no rule in baseball that everything HAS to be about the city. We've seen it with Colorado, Florida, and Texas that non-city names work just fine. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

SMU's D-Dallas logo is still just an alternate look, much like a DFW hat for the Rangers could be with City Connect or something. 

There's no rule in baseball that everything HAS to be about the city. We've seen it with Colorado, Florida, and Texas that non-city names work just fine. 

I never said there was a rule per se. Just that such things are more in line with baseball traditions... a sport that leans on tradition probably more than any other sport.

FWIW, I would prefer we had the California Angels back. It was just a serendipitous coincidence that the city had the same initial as the nickname.

• Like 2

I would love a DFW hat for the Rangers, but then I would think of a know-it-all with bad grammar who stalks posters.

Radom's Nationals script looked much better in navy than in red. It used to be on the mothership until it wasn't. I'm convinced it was the original plan until Selig forced them to use the old Senators hat.

• Applause 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

I would love a DFW hat for the Rangers, but then I would think of a know-it-all with bad grammar who stalks posters.

Radom's Nationals script looked much better in navy than in red. It used to be on the mothership until it wasn't. I'm convinced it was the original plan until Selig forced them to use the old Senators hat.

Your assumption is correct. They were originally suppose to have a beveled W on the hats and it doesn't look very good in my opinion. The Curly W was the right move.

RvdEhJe.jpg

DvcNWc9.jpg

• Like 6

bSLCtu2.png

3 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Your assumption is correct. They were originally suppose to have a beveled W on the hats and it doesn't look very good in my opinion. The Curly W was the right move.

RvdEhJe.jpg

DvcNWc9.jpg

I'm surprised by how much I like these. I think it's because it sort-of makes me think about the caps the original Senators wore before relocating to Minnesota. (The curly W came into being with the expansion Senators in 1961.) 

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2022-08-08 at 9:00 PM, WSU151 said:

SMU's D-Dallas logo is still just an alternate look, much like a DFW hat for the Rangers could be with City Connect or something. SMU doesn't have a state in its name so it's still not quite apples-to-apples to the Texas Rangers. 

Colorado does work better than Florida and Texas IMO, considering that Denver is by far the largest city in the state and the majority of the states population lives in the Denver area.

And if I recall correctly, wasn't most of the fanbase of the Marlins in favour of Miami as the identifier instead of Florida?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThunderCeltic said:

No word on any new uniforms or wholesale changes. Would be amazing if the Marlins brought out their 1993-2002 Teal Top as it's the 30th Anniversary of the Club next season. (SDS refuses to add that uniform among others in MLB The Show).

The teal top was only a batting practice jersey, I think, which is likely why it’s not in The Show. The Show isn’t really big on including historical batting practice jerseys. 

And there were two versions of the teal jersey, with silver lettering in 1993 and black lettering in 1994 I think. 

2 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

And if I recall correctly, wasn't most of the fanbase of the Marlins in favour of Miami as the identifier instead of Florida?

Probably, I just know changing the name was a request from the city for the stadium deal. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, WSU151 said:

And there were two versions of the teal jersey, with silver lettering in 1993 and black lettering in 1994 I think. 

You are correct, silver numbers was 93 only, then black numbers/script afterwards (with a black version with teal numbers added a few years later IIRC)

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

21 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The teal top was only a batting practice jersey, I think, which is likely why it’s not in The Show. The Show isn’t really big on including historical batting practice jerseys. 

That is true that it was only worn for Spring Training BP until 2002. Ironically enough several baseball games (All Star Baseball/MLB 2k5/MVP Baseball) had it listed as a throwback. Ironically enough MLB The Show 09-10 had the Teal Top as a throwback but names on the back were missing. There are several missing alternates/away uniforms in The Show that it's a joke but I digress.