MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

12 hours ago, tBBP said:

$5,201.36.

Especially since these came out about three years back (& I've seen quite a few on fans at the Twins games I've gone to):

twins-prince-night.jpg

I mean we obviously love Prince here, but I would be really disappointed if the city connect jersey was just a Prince jersey. There’s so much more to the Twin Cities and to Minnesota that they could work with.

And like @simtek34 said, that’s pretty much what I would want as a Twins fan as well. Ditch the gold, clean up the wordmarks, and never touch the TC. 

However, having powder blue become a primary color could be cool. 

I hope this update is much like the Padres, where it’s more of a solidifying of the permanent look, rather than trying to tweak and update some random things…

• Like 3

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

I have to admit I have never noticed that word mark that they use in social media. It is probably a pretty good guess that they will go with that. It looks pretty decent.

I hadn't noticed that either. Really great observation @simtek34

It's not uncommon for professional sports teams to road test logo tweaks on social media channels. The Cardinals did this a few years ago with a modest update to their STL cap logo. They started using it unannounced in 2019 in social media posts and incorporated it into promotional gameday giveaways before announcing its full adoption the next season.  It was sort-of a soft launch. 

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what the Twins are doing here, even with those brighter colors. 

I'm also a lifelong Twins fan. I tend to favor the "M" cap, but purely out of nostalgia for the World Series years. I think the club could reasonably fashion a similar M cap but fitting the style of that modernized cursive script. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

I mean we obviously love Prince here, but I would be really disappointed if the city connect jersey was just a Prince jersey. There’s so much more to the Twin Cities and to Minnesota that they could work with.

Make a  jersey out of this album art:

The Replacements – Pleased to Meet Me – Classic Music Review – altrockchick

Or better yet, don't, because this promotion is stuuuupiiiiid

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I love these jersey concepts and would buy one of each. I'd love to know what your thoughts as far as matching hats with these. As a life long Twins fan, I love the memories from of the M and the World Series memories of them, but I like the TC as well. I am hoping they incorporate both for the updates.

• Love 1

13 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Here's a shameless plug of my prediction/hope for how the Twins' redesign will turn out:

I love these jersey concepts and would buy one of each. I'd love to know what your thoughts as far as matching hats with these. As a life long Twins fan, I love the memories from of the M and the World Series memories of them, but I like the TC as well. I am hoping they incorporate both for the updates.

• Love 1

On 9/27/2022 at 10:07 PM, simtek34 said:

I've come out of hibernation thanks to the news of the Twins updating their uniforms. I'm excited, yet nervous. What I would like to see, as others have mentioned, is a refresh of the past, akin to the Blue Jays or Padres. I hope to god the Kasota Gold is gone. I didn't like it in 2015, don't like it now.

I believe that they will use the updated cursive wordmark that they've been using on Social Media for the past two years. It really looks good and would be a fine basis for the refresh. Here's some tweets showcasing it.

The Social Media posts since 2020 have primarily used this wordmark, along with brighter shades of Blue and Red as seen in the tweets. Of course, the TC logo is used heavily too, but the 1987-2012 "M" logo  has been used quite heavily as well, being featured in every starting lineup post this year for Away games. This is just speculation, but it could be hinting towards a return of an M logo. Whether it's the same one or a different one remains to be seen. From what I can tell, living in MN and being in Twins circles online, while the TC logo is the most popular and a superior logo (imo,) the M logo is popular amongst hardcore circles. Lots of people wear it, but not anywhere near as much as the TC though.

Here's what I want to see, as a lifelong fan of the team:

• Primaries
    • Home White (Cream)
      • Social Media "Twins" wordmark, Navy outlined in Red.
      • Pinstripes.
      • Minnie & Paul State patch on the sleeve.
      • Standard Navy TC cap.
    • Away Grey
      • Red/Navy/Red piping on the neckline/sleeve cuffs/pants, similar to the 2010-2022 Away uniform
      • Hypothetical "Minnesota" word mark similar to the Social Media "Twins" wordmark, Navy outlined in Red.
      • Standard Navy TC cap.
  • Alternates
    • Navy Jersey.
      • Red/White/Red piping on the neckline/sleeve cuffs.
      • Social Media "Twins" wordmark, White outlined in Red.
      • Standard Navy TC cap. Optional Red TC cap also available ONLY for Alternate.
    • Throwback

I tried to limit the amount of logos, patches, and jerseys compared to what we currently have. We have five different logos, three different wordmarks, three caps, and SIX different jerseys at the moment. No more inconsistencies from Uniform to Uniform, just a straightforward design. Only two wordmarks, "Twins" and "Minnesota," and two logos, the iconic TC and a updated Minnie & Paul logo with an updated Wordmark. Besides the World Series era throwback, my idea has one sleeve patch for all the uniforms, primarily wearing just one cap, and more consistent piping/wordmark coloring, with all of them following a Red/Other Color/Red pattern. 

Thank you for this summary.

I think your uniform strategy is perfect.

I'm most jazzed to see if they can make a 21st century "handshake logo" to restore the team's unique personality. All the logos with script marks and stitched baseballs and pinstripes and roundels are just so boringly TRYHARD. Bring back the handshake!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rwaters1221 said:
I love these jersey concepts and would buy one of each. I'd love to know what your thoughts as far as matching hats with these. As a life long Twins fan, I love the memories from of the M and the World Series memories of them, but I like the TC as well. I am hoping they incorporate both for the updates.

Thank you!

Personally, I’ve always been partial to the “TC” cap, as it feels more iconic, & I’ve never really liked the “M” logo. Recently I’ve opened up to how much nostalgic factor the M hat has, though. 

So, in essence, I’d like to see the TC be the full-time cap, with the M reserved to a throwback at most.

On 9/28/2022 at 9:56 PM, MJD7 said:

Here's a shameless plug of my prediction/hope for how the Twins' redesign will turn out:

I LOVE that concept! It's also pretty much exactly what I described wanting from a Twins redesign. Cream pinstripes, Navy alt, it's wonderful. I could give or take on piping on the home jersey. Wasn't a huge fan of it for the Padres when they unveiled their uniforms, (but got used to it,) but it's not a bad look.

In my description on the last page, I was having trouble deciding between Powder Blue or the World Series look for a Throwback. I decided on the WS look due to the M cap, which I've always liked, if nobody could tell based on my Forum Avatar.

• Love 1

da0Lbhs.png

On 9/28/2022 at 6:17 AM, OnWis97 said:

I have to admit I have never noticed that word mark that they use in social media. It is probably a pretty good guess that they will go with that. It looks pretty decent.

I was just checking the Twins schedule and this is the logo they’re using on the banner at the top of the page, along with brighter  blue and red as mentioned above. I’m not sure how long they’ve been using it here but it caught my eye and may add to the hunch that this could be the logo to come. 

TERFtnq.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gobbi said:

I was just checking the Twins schedule and this is the logo they’re using on the banner at the top of the page, along with brighter  blue and red as mentioned above. I’m not sure how long they’ve been using it here but it caught my eye and may add to the hunch that this could be the logo to come. 

TERFtnq.png

I'm pretty sure that's just a stylized version of the current TC logo. It somewhat fits in with our horrible graphics package as of late. I doubt it's a sign of changes to come

• Like 4

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

On 9/30/2022 at 4:39 PM, simtek34 said:

I LOVE that concept! It's also pretty much exactly what I described wanting from a Twins redesign. Cream pinstripes, Navy alt, it's wonderful. I could give or take on piping on the home jersey. Wasn't a huge fan of it for the Padres when they unveiled their uniforms, (but got used to it,) but it's not a bad look.

In my description on the last page, I was having trouble deciding between Powder Blue or the World Series look for a Throwback. I decided on the WS look due to the M cap, which I've always liked, if nobody could tell based on my Forum Avatar.

Thank you! I also added a World Series era fauxback if you wanna check the thread.

I think the biggest mistake the Twins made in adding gold, which was inspired by the limestone at Target Field, was that they had the cream throwback jersey right there already. The shade of that jersey already matches the limestone significantly better than “Kasota gold” does. Considering it would have been significantly easier to integrate that into the main identity rather than to fit another new color into the color scheme, I’m retroactively very surprised they didn’t just make cream their main home uniform.

15 hours ago, Gobbi said:

TERFtnq.png

13 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

I'm pretty sure that's just a stylized version of the current TC logo. It somewhat fits in with our horrible graphics package as of late. I doubt it's a sign of changes to come

Yea, this is just a version of the TC logo that they’ve been using on their social media the past couple years. I don’t imagine we’ll see it integrated into the actual branding, but we’ll see. Here’s to hoping this social media branding package gets dropped along with the logos & uniforms.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Yea, this is just a version of the TC logo that they’ve been using on their social media the past couple years. I don’t imagine we’ll see it integrated into the actual branding, but we’ll see. Here’s to hoping this social media branding package gets dropped along with the logos & uniforms.

My screenshot was from MLB.com though, not the Twins’  social media. I haven’t really seen any other instances where a team’s social media branding has bled into what MLB puts out. That’s what made me think it had more legs to it. I could be completely out to lunch though 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gobbi said:

My screenshot was from MLB.com though, not the Twins’  social media. I haven’t really seen any other instances where a team’s social media branding has bled into what MLB puts out. That’s what made me think it had more legs to it. I could be completely out to lunch though 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah, I meant that it's been a part of their graphics package as a whole the past few years, including social media.

It is a very strange choice to extend that ugly bright blue all the way to the team's website, I'll admit. But beyond the wordmark we've seen in a few images, I doubt we'll see anything from that branding package transfer over. But who knows.

• Like 1

This was addressed earlier in the year. The Rays will be doing away with road greys next season and recently they have been featuring meander pattern on the FB profile. As part of part of the future design elements I wonder if this is just a design currently being used on their FB page for the remainder of the 2022 season or something that will be featured moving forward? 

309667113_10159729455708429_868571395571310014551_10159729328233429_571150754539

8 hours ago, selgy said:

This was addressed earlier in the year. The Rays will be doing away with road greys next season and recently they have been featuring meander pattern on the FB profile. As part of part of the future design elements I wonder if this is just a design currently being used on their FB page for the remainder of the 2022 season or something that will be featured moving forward? 

309667113_10159729455708429_868571395571310014551_10159729328233429_571150754539

If so, it's sort of an unusual choice, and kind of a whole different direction for the team's branding. 

Is that pattern meant to be an "R"? 

I had initially thought it might have something to do with Hispanic Heritage Month, but the change only happened once the clinching game was met.

I'm not reading anything into it, as from whats been reported its not supposed to be an identity change, just dropping the gray road unis.