MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

24 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Does this mean that the one-offs for various holidays are gone? Big if true. How about infrequently worn Negro League tributes/throwbacks - do they count in that total?

My assumption would be that the 4+1 rule is only for uniforms in their regular rotation and not applied to one-off uniforms/throwbacks.

BUT, if id did mean the end of "holiday" uniforms, it could just be the jersey/pants themselves, but not the caps, as Nike has no control over that, really, since they're New Era.

• Like 5

I wonder how much of this is due to the streamlining of what players wear OR Nike/Fanatics having to making way too many different replicas, selling too few, and ending up having to sell them at a big discount? If a team has 5 or 6 uniforms, they’re going to make replicas to sell and if they don’t sell? Ouch.

Seems like a lot of jerseys were on sale for a bit less than usual this holiday season. 

So long as this doesn’t impact throwback games, it seems like the right move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Apparent leak of the Braves and Mariners City Connect designs:

EXCLUSIVE: Leaks Appear to Show New MLB City Connect Designs (uni-watch.com)

Mariners going Seattle Pilots route and Braves using "The A" (can't wait for the reactions for that) and Henry Aaron 715 scoreboard graphic. Interesting

9 hours ago, TBGKon said:

I read it the same  as @coco1997.  It's never said that teams will have to have 4+1, just sounds like that would be the maximum.

Now thinking about it, there are a few teams that will have to potentially unload a jersey.

- Mariners (home, road, cream, navy, teal)

- Red Sox (home, road, red, blue, Patriots Day?)

- Rangers (home, road, light blue, royal, red)

- D-Backs (home, road, home w/aqua, black, red)

- Phillies (home, road, red, cream, blue throwback)

- Pirates (home, road, white military, Pirates black, Pittsburgh black)

- Blue Jays (home, road, royal, light blue, red?)

Boston:  Since this one is really only worn for one game, I could see an exception being made.
Toronto:  I'd be fine if the red went bye bye
Arizona:  I'm partial to all of them but if any go, it'd probably be the black alternate
Texas:  The red I think is gone
Philadelphia:  Red one I think is gone
Pittsburgh:  That camo one can go
Seattle:  I think the Cream goes but since the cap with that jersey has the 2023 ASG patch on it, I think that one stays.  If anything, that navy one needs to be fixed.  BADLY

23 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Now thinking about it, there are a few teams that will have to potentially unload a jersey.

- Mariners (home, road, cream, navy, teal)

- Red Sox (home, road, red, blue, Patriots Day?)

- Rangers (home, road, light blue, royal, red)

- D-Backs (home, road, home w/aqua, black, red)

- Phillies (home, road, red, cream, blue throwback)

- Pirates (home, road, white military, Pirates black, Pittsburgh black)

- Blue Jays (home, road, royal, light blue, red?)

I'm wondering if the Jays would get away with the red jerseys being their +1 (I haven't heard any rumblings of them releasing a CC uniform anytime soon). They really should only be worn for the Canada Day game though. Last season guys started getting superstitious, which led to them being worn on random days.

The royal & powder blue jerseys are incredibly popular with the fans, so I'd be surprised to see either one dropped.

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

I'm wondering if the Jays would get away with the red jerseys being their +1 (I haven't heard any rumblings of them releasing a CC uniform anytime soon). They really should only be worn for the Canada Day game though. Last season guys started getting superstitious, which led to them being worn on random days.

The royal & powder blue jerseys are incredibly popular with the fans, so I'd be surprised to see either one dropped.

The Blue Jays would probably have WHITE/GRAY/ROYAL/POWDER as their 4 with the red jerseys as Canada Day only until they unveil their CC, which will probably be red and white, be Canada-themed and debut ON Canada Day.

My guess, anyway.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, McCall said:

My guess, anyway.

mine too.

As much as I just want the powder to go away

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

14 hours ago, dannykraft said:

Would love if a few teams dropped grey and started using light blue as their road option.

A few of them, yeah. Royals, Blue Jays and Brewers come to mind. But that's probably it. Case in point, the Rangers' powder blue alts suck. 

• Like 4

On 1/17/2023 at 10:16 AM, McCall said:

My assumption would be that the 4+1 rule is only for uniforms in their regular rotation and not applied to one-off uniforms/throwbacks.

BUT, if id did mean the end of "holiday" uniforms, it could just be the jersey/pants themselves, but not the caps, as Nike has no control over that, really, since they're New Era.

i have said to people at work that the MLB should do from July 1st to the Sunday before the all-star game every team wears a throwback jersey (for the newer teams,  something with the history of the city or area).      

• Like 1

so long and thanks for all the fish.

1 hour ago, goalieboy82 said:

i have said to people at work that the MLB should do from July 1st to the Sunday before the all-star game every team wears a throwback jersey (for the newer teams,  something with the history of the city or area).      

What were the responses from the people at work? 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

added all the leagues should do this.

so long and thanks for all the fish.

2 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

I like the thought, because I dig throwback uniforms.  But I think that having all teams wear them at once would make each uniform harder to appreciate.  

Throwbacks are best when they are worn for a specific occasion, like an anniversary, as the Nationals and Royals did in 2019, when the Nationals wore their Expos throwbacks and the Royals wore 1969 uniforms to celebrate the teams' 50th anniversaries.

HBKUMDFAHII6TA7DIX663DUNFY.jpg

Another example comes from 2001, when the A's and Twins each wore 1901 uniforms (with the Twins wearing uniforms from their days as the Washington Senators) to mark the 100th anniversary of the American League.

Twins-Senator-s-throwback.jpg

Throwback uniforms are wonderful.  But the wearing should be decided by each team, for its specific purposes.

Also, it's better that these events be spread out over the season, so that each event can get the attention it deserves.

• Like 6

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Not sure if y'all caught this on the mothership article, but user Ro left some pictures of City Connect leaks that haven't made their rounds yet. One of the pics was accompanied with a comment saying that these Stance Socks have been news since May 2022. Their comment also made reference to all of these teams being "them for 2023", which is pretty unclear when it comes to determining if there are additional teams expecting their City Connects this season.

6Omqh72.png

mkERA57.png

• Like 7
  • WOAH 1