MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

1 hour ago, ptay said:

Can't tell what Pittsburgh and Baltimore are going for here....

Almost looks like a YB for Yinzburgh but I’m hoping that’s not it

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'm liking that horseshoe wrapped around Texas logo for the Rangers. I'm curious what the inspiration behind the black and red color scheme is. 

I'm also wondering if the Braves set will actually use both royal AND navy blue with red,  or if one of the blues is just for the sock design. I'm hoping it's the former. Notice there's a hint of the feather on the sock so I imagine Atlanta's look will be very '70s Hank Aaron-era influenced. 

And I know it's way too early to tell, but I'm really liking what I'm seeing for Seattle so far. Like the Angels' CC set, it looks to have the building blocks of a solid identity refresh for the Mariners; basically a streamlining of their current scripts and logos. I'm not necessarily advocating for the M's to drop the Northwest green and navy, but I always liked them in blue and gold. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Throwbacks are best when they are worn for a specific occasion, like an anniversary, as the Nationals and Royals did in 2019, when the Nationals wore their Expos throwbacks and the Royals wore 1969 uniforms to celebrate the teams' 50th anniversaries.

I get what you mean, but I've always liked the idea of a retro weekend. Pick an era -- say, the '80s -- and have every team in throwbacks/fauxbacks from that period. Work it into the stadium experience, with throwback video displays, vendor uniforms (and prices?), and do the same (to a degree) with the TV broadcast and commercials. 

Then do it again each year but with a different era. I bet you'd get a lot of sellouts. I'd watch a whole weekend of games just to get that experience. 

• Like 5

Are the Spring Training/Batting Practice caps staying the same this year? I know there are new logos for the Cactus and Grapefruit Leagues but are there any changes to the overall style. There were lots of complaints last year about wearing the trucker style, any word of the material will change?

On 1/18/2023 at 9:30 PM, ptay said:

Can't tell what Pittsburgh and Baltimore are going for here....

My guy says something with a camo design OR the state flag pattern for the O's, though as you said, it's hard to tell from the socks alone. Based off the multi-color pattern on the foot, I might say something city-related, but it's a stretch for me.

• Like 1

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

On 1/16/2023 at 6:11 PM, simtek34 said:

Good on Nike for once. They're now limiting MLB teams to only four Jerseys, Home, Road, and two alternates. (Besides City Connect.) Things were starting to get out of hand, with teams having so many alternates. For instance, my Twins, before their rebrand this year, had their Home and Road jerseys, two Home Alternates, a Road Alternate, and a Throwback. AKA we had 6 different Jerseys in the rotation. It's rare when I say "Good Job Nike," but Good Job Nike! 

https://news.sportslogos.net/2023/01/16/nikes-four-one-plan-for-mlb-uniforms-cards-city-connect-coming-in-2024/baseball/

Marlins be like: "Two alternates?  We don't need that." 🙄 

• LOL 1

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

17 hours ago, TheBigFiz21 said:

My guy says something with a camo design OR the state flag pattern for the O's, though as you said, it's hard to tell from the socks alone. Based off the multi-color pattern on the foot, I might say something city-related, but it's a stretch for me.

The splotches of the multi-color pattern could be referred to as camo.  It seems like it would be some kind of local reference, but it's a part of Baltimore culture I've absolutely no idea about.  Anyone have any idea what this pattern could be referring to?

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 1/11/2023 at 1:40 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Colors that fit the imagery of the name! What a concept! </sarcasm>

On 1/21/2023 at 11:10 AM, rwaters1221 said:

Are the Spring Training/Batting Practice caps staying the same this year? I know there are new logos for the Cactus and Grapefruit Leagues but are there any changes to the overall style. There were lots of complaints last year about wearing the trucker style, any word of the material will change?

I have to tell you, I HATED the trucker cap designs when I first saw them, and cringed some more when I saw that style was being used for the All-Star Game, too.  I could not believe New Era did that.

Then, I saw one for my team on sale and bought it. Damn, if it is not the most comfortable cap ever. I ended up getting  some of the All-Star Game caps when they were on sale -- and they got really cheap, too, like $14 for the 39 Thirty versions on the MLB page. I'm wearing a Brewers version as I type.

I don't want this style to replace the regular season game caps. But I begrudgingly grew to like them for PB. And I loved that the White Sox used the way-old-school logo.

I can’t figure out the pirates socks and I’ve lived here my whole life. I’m not into the city uniforms, personal preference about team colors/nicknames taking a back seat, but it’s almost a no brainer to do something gold for the golden triangle or (hold your excitement Nike) to do something anthracite for “steel town” (even though the mills are generations gone).

KISSwall09.jpg

20 hours ago, Metsguyinmichigan said:

I have to tell you, I HATED the trucker cap designs when I first saw them, and cringed some more when I saw that style was being used for the All-Star Game, too.  I could not believe New Era did that.

Then, I saw one for my team on sale and bought it. Damn, if it is not the most comfortable cap ever. I ended up getting  some of the All-Star Game caps when they were on sale -- and they got really cheap, too, like $14 for the 39 Thirty versions on the MLB page. I'm wearing a Brewers version as I type.

I don't want this style to replace the regular season game caps. But I begrudgingly grew to like them for PB. And I loved that the White Sox used the way-old-school logo.

This is interesting. I really liked the idea of the mesh-styled hats for BP and Spring Training, but mostly out of nostalgia. I remember as a kid finding it interesting how some teams used the cheap mesh snapback models of their hats during spring training before switching to the wool fitted caps for the regular season. The switch last year to a higher-quality version of mesh cap brought back those memories. 

spacer.png

On 1/21/2023 at 11:10 AM, rwaters1221 said:

It seems that usually the caps are on a 2 year cycle, so in that case they'll remain unchanged.  I would think they could change the mesh option, but if theres a change we'll probably see in February.

1 hour ago, TBGKon said:

It seems that usually the caps are on a 2 year cycle, so in that case they'll remain unchanged.  I would think they could change the mesh option, but if theres a change we'll probably see in February.

That's what I figured too. As a Twins fan I'm curious if they change to the new M logo or stick with the vintage one from last year. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hormone said:

I can’t figure out the pirates socks and I’ve lived here my whole life. I’m not into the city uniforms, personal preference about team colors/nicknames taking a back seat, but it’s almost a no brainer to do something gold for the golden triangle...

I was thinking the same thing...maybe something Three Sisters-related (since the outfield view of the park looks dead at them, after all). 

19 hours ago, hormone said:

...Or (hold your excitement Nike) to do something anthracite for “steel town” (even though the mills are generations gone).

Well there is still that one down there in Clairton, but...yeah. 😄

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Batting practice hats all look to be white-panel trucker hats with secondary color under-brim: 

https://www.mlbshop.com/?pageSize=72&sortOption=NewestArrivals&query=batting practice

Men's Los Angeles Dodgers New Era White 2023 On-Field Batting Practice Low Profile Trucker 59FIFTY Fitted Hat

Men's Los Angeles Angels New Era White/Red 2023 On-Field Batting Practice Trucker 59FIFTY Fitted Hat

(the Angels underbrim looks to be black, which is probably a mistake)

Men's San Diego Padres New Era White/Brown 2023 On-Field Batting Practice Trucker 59FIFTY Fitted Hat

edit: It looks like Spring Training hats are the same as 2022, but with 2023 logos on the right side:

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.