MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

5 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Hmm...  Is this a common format on Twitter or used by the team?  Or can something be gleaned from this?  Any chance they're tapping into their old days as the Capital's team by leaning into a military aeronautics theme?  Are there other aeronautics links in Maryland?  Or are they just being silly?

I haven't seen anything like that on Twitter, but I think they're just being silly.

Glenn L. Martin/Martin Marietta/Lockheed Martin is/was a huge aircraft manufacturer located just east of the city.  However, I wouldn't expect that to be part of the City Connect series.  It would be more likely that some sort of maritime theme would be incorporated.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

4 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I haven't seen anything like that on Twitter, but I think they're just being silly.

Glenn L. Martin/Martin Marietta/Lockheed Martin is/was a huge aircraft manufacturer located just east of the city.  However, I wouldn't expect that to be part of the City Connect series.  It would be more likely that some sort of maritime theme would be incorporated.

Huh.  I didn't even think there was that strong a relationship as I just grasped at straws.

It does make sense to go nautical, but...  If there's one thing we've learned looking at this whole project it's that we have absolutely no idea what teams will pick as the theme they use to rep their city.

spacer.png

spacer.png

48 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Huh.  I didn't even think there was that strong a relationship as I just grasped at straws.

It does make sense to go nautical, but...  If there's one thing we've learned looking at this whole project it's that we have absolutely no idea what teams will pick as the theme they use to rep their city.

That connection almost came into play with NFL expansion.

In their proposal, the potential owners of the team had settled on the "Baltimore Bombers" as the team's nickname in honor of the B-26 Marauder, a World War II bomber designed by the Glenn L. Martin Company, and produced in Baltimore from 1941 to 1945

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Bombers_(proposed_NFL_team)

The factory is just east of the city, but close enough.

. . . and you're absolutely right about having NO IDEA.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

9 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Buzzkills!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Wow.  I always thought that was just alliteration and a fairly generic name.  Neat.

In less neat news, New Era shut down the Braves' big hat home run celebration.

Hey New Era, instead of shutting the celly down, why not make them a big hat so they're following the rules and get to keep the celebration going? SMH. 

• Like 10

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

11 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Hey New Era, instead of shutting the celly down, why not make them a big hat so they're following the rules and get to keep the celebration going? SMH. 

Probably a patent preventing them from copying it

• Like 5

somehow the mariners made it worse than you could have imagined by doing dark blue pants, or are they black? Can't even tell in the reveal video, either way bad.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Here’s the Mariners’ full City Connect uniform:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I cannot believe they went with black pants. I hadn’t even considered that possibility because it frankly seemed too dumb to be a realistic option. Can’t believe I’m saying this but I would’ve much rather seen blue pants. I do like the beveled trident on the cap, and I guess I’m fine with the black bill. Really though, these would’ve been close to a home run with a yellow brimmed hat and white pants. They got the jerseys right IMO but fell flat after that.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

16 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Here’s the Mariners’ full City Connect uniform:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I cannot believe they went with black pants. I hadn’t even considered that possibility because it frankly seemed too dumb to be a realistic option. Can’t believe I’m saying this but I would’ve much rather seen blue pants. I do like the beveled trident on the cap, and I guess I’m fine with the black bill. Really though, these would’ve been close to a home run with a yellow brimmed hat and white pants. They got the jerseys right IMO but fell flat after that.

the black pants are a head scratcher, but the rest of it is gorgeous.

time to go see what the damage to my wallet is gonna be

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Normally I haaaate medium-to-dark shades of blue and black used together but it mostly works well here. Not with the black pants (ick) but with the rest of the design it's not bad. I guess that combo works better when black stays tertiary and the yellow is secondary.

This isn't what they were going for but the color scheme and the PNW mountain logo are giving me big turn-of-the-millennium skiing/snowboarding aesthetic vibes, which is kinda fun.

• Like 6

I... can't... believe that it's black.  Not that I'm shocked they made the choice.  There's a lot of black accents in the set.  I'm literally looking at those pants and only the fact that you guys are saying it's black causes me to believe it's black.  It looks 1,000% more navy than the Rangers' pants.  And even the rest of the accents (such as the sleeve patch) look navy in the detail pictures.  They must have been shining some kinda blue light on them because this does not look black at all to my eyes and it's tripping me out.

Objectively, I think these look beautiful.  I'm not sure if most of that is due to the fact that the pants look navy to me, so they seem less out of place and the two-tone blue look looks really good.  Given how dark royal is, the pants look less weird than the Rangers' did.  But I also think the way they're being worn and the striping go a long way to them looking like a baseball uniform.  The Rangers' pics never showed the socks, so we were left to assume the rest, and the piping was a single line, so they really did look like they could be workout pants.  These are being worn right.

spacer.png

spacer.png