MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

4 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

You see any other MLB teams on this map? Aight then. 

It has NorCal on it, but like...imagine the :censored:ing absurdity of the Giants or A's wearing "PNW" on their jersey to "rep the Pacific Northwest they call home" 🤣

4 hours ago, adsarebad said:

You basically just wrote what the problem is yourself.

City Connect Jersey =  City of Seattle ....... Pacific Northwest =

-

spacer.png 

lol Idaho is barely PNW 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Not to be the jersey czar or anything, but can we please get over the whole "City Connect vs Region Connect" thing. Yes guys, we get it. The CITY jersey reflected the REGION or STATE that it belongs to. Get over it. It still pertains to locals, so who cares. We have known for a long while now that Nike has taken some liberties in what is a "City" jersey. It's nothing new in the NBA, and we literally saw this on the 2nd City Connect jersey (Marlins Havana inspiration). It's not doing anyone better to complain about this every single time Nike releases their CC jerseys.

In short, it needs to be understood that these jerseys are not going to be strictly city-inspired, and that it's ok. They are just jerseys that showcase local/regional culture in ways that haven't been seen in the usual identity. Nike isn't going to change the series name to "region/state/culture connect", so let's accept that there are going to be City Connects that don't connect solely to one city.

I hate to rant, but I'd rather express this now in an effort to stop any future posts that criticize city jerseys for the reasons mentioned above. Just seems semantics and lacks genuine criticism towards design aspects present on the uniform.

• Like 10

These are weird. 

They look super cohesive and I love a lot of the elements, but I need to see how they look on the field before I judge the addition of black too harshly. I do think the set would look better with white pants, but the black might not be as bad when watching the team in action. 

But if this leads to a full rebrand, I'm all for embracing this new script and trident. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

I feel like the trident “M” should be italicized to fit with the rest of the theme… be differentiate it from all the retro caps many of us already have. 

I said it before but this is less of a city connect and more of a reverse retro concept. The Kraken did so well with their RR I feel the Mariners wanted to get in on the trend as well. The black pants are a big Yikes, hope they mix and match someday with the white pants or get matching blue ones. 

• Like 2

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

9 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

I feel like the trident “M” should be italicized to fit with the rest of the theme

I dunno if it would fit in with the jersey lettering, but an italicized trident could look pretty cool on a cap.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

22 hours ago, fortunat1 said:

Not to be the jersey czar or anything, but can we please get over the whole "City Connect vs Region Connect" thing. Yes guys, we get it. The CITY jersey reflected the REGION or STATE that it belongs to. Get over it. It still pertains to locals, so who cares. We have known for a long while now that Nike has taken some liberties in what is a "City" jersey. It's nothing new in the NBA, and we literally saw this on the 2nd City Connect jersey (Marlins Havana inspiration). It's not doing anyone better to complain about this every single time Nike releases their CC jerseys.

In short, it needs to be understood that these jerseys are not going to be strictly city-inspired, and that it's ok. They are just jerseys that showcase local/regional culture in ways that haven't been seen in the usual identity. Nike isn't going to change the series name to "region/state/culture connect", so let's accept that there are going to be City Connects that don't connect solely to one city.

I hate to rant, but I'd rather express this now in an effort to stop any future posts that criticize city jerseys for the reasons mentioned above. Just seems semantics and lacks genuine criticism towards design aspects present on the uniform.

I think one guy suggested it, we all dunked on him, and then people got sidetracked on the definition of Pacific Northwest.  Although I might have missed some discussion last year.  Either way, you're absolutely right.  The league just chose to go for the repeated consonant.

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 4/29/2023 at 5:43 PM, fortunat1 said:

My “issue” so far this year is not that some of the jerseys are region-inspired as opposed to city-inspired, but rather that all three designs so far are inspired by their respective baseball histories rather than representing the city at large. 

I probably shouldn’t be complaining, as that approach at least keeps the designs closer in proximity to the teams’ regular branding, but it just feels like a bit of a cop-out from the whole “City” idea.

It makes me think my “Cooperstown Collection” idea might have been a better approach, with each club taking inspiration from their baseball history rather than the city they play in, which was a cheap copy of the NBA to begin with.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

My “issue” so far this year is not that some of the jerseys are region-inspired as opposed to city-inspired, but rather that all three designs so far are inspired by their respective baseball histories rather than representing the city at large. 

I probably shouldn’t be complaining, as that approach at least keeps the designs closer in proximity to the teams’ regular branding, but it just feels like a bit of a cop-out from the whole “City” idea.

It makes me think my “Cooperstown Collection” idea might have been a better approach, with each club taking inspiration from their baseball history rather than the city they play in, which was a cheap copy of the NBA to begin with.

This is a completely valid criticism. In my eyes, they still fit the city motif, but I understand why others disagree. Major US cities and regions are far too diverse to fully represent in one uniform, so teams tend to focus on one (or a few aspects) of one particular piece of local culture to base the jersey on. The Red Sox chose  the Boston Marathon, the Nationals chose cherry blossoms, and the Rangers chose baseball. Each one takes a unique aspect of their region that has been relevant/significant at one point or another, and represents that on their uniform.

I totally get why others may view this as a cop-out though, because a baseball-inspired baseball jersey isn't exactly the first thing one might imagine for a "City Connect" jersey. I think that local baseball teams (as with any sports team) are inherently an aspect of local culture, making them fair game for the City Connect series, but I think that your perspective is valid as well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fortunat1 said:

This is a completely valid criticism. In my eyes, they still fit the city motif, but I understand why others disagree. Major US cities and regions are far too diverse to fully represent in one uniform, so teams tend to focus on one (or a few aspects) of one particular piece of local culture to base the jersey on. The Red Sox chose  the Boston Marathon, the Nationals chose cherry blossoms, and the Rangers chose baseball. Each one takes a unique aspect of their region that has been relevant/significant at one point or another, and represents that on their uniform.

I totally get why others may view this as a cop-out though, because a baseball-inspired baseball jersey isn't exactly the first thing one might imagine for a "City Connect" jersey. I think that local baseball teams (as with any sports team) are inherently an aspect of local culture, making them fair game for the City Connect series, but I think that your perspective is valid as well.

This is a great analysis, you even might have changed my mind a bit. I guess I'm just a bit disappointed that we didn't see other aspects of those cities highlighted, as at the very least I would have liked to maybe learn more about the city itself. My thinking is that, if you're gonna do the City program (which I prefer they never did), you might as well go all-in. But I can see why some teams might be hesitant to do that given their tradition & brand.

Interestingly, I think some of the more storied franchises in baseball could have afforded to make their City Connects more baseball-inspired, I'm thinking of the Red Sox in particular. Although I don't hate the Marathon-inspired jersey, my concept for them focused on the Green Monster, which I think would've fit better with their existing brand:

I imagine the Yankees will take a similar route once they're forced to get a City Connect, going with something inspired by themselves as opposed to the city of New York. It also makes sense that the Cubs went the Wrigley Field route, as that's about as inherently tied to Chicago as anything. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I like your cooperstown idea and my mind immediately thought of the nats flipping that Montréal expo M upside down and creating an expo uniform (racing stripes of course) in Nats colors

• Dislike 1
KISSwall09.jpg

Honestly, I have always expected these at any moment to be an abomination (which I did feel many were before finding out the deeper meaning or how much they hit for the locals) or a Brandiose-style MiLB local dish one-off level of cheese.  So every time the team instead goes for the throwback look (which also often has the added bonus of making the team look like the team), I rejoice.

The Brewers got close to the latter, but it looked enough in the spirit of the team's history.

spacer.png

spacer.png