2022-23 NHL Season

BrySmalls

Toews has long covid, Kane needs a hip replacement, Marian Hossa had a skin-eating disease, Ed Olczyk had cancer, if you want the universe to punish everyone from the 2010 team, it looks like the universe has done just about everything short of pulling the Hawks' 2023 draft pick so that a team you're less sick of can get it instead

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Toews has long covid, Kane needs a hip replacement, Marian Hossa had a skin-eating disease, Ed Olczyk had cancer, if you want the universe to punish everyone from the 2010 team, it looks like the universe has done just about everything short of pulling the Hawks' 2023 draft pick so that a team you're less sick of can get it instead

Not sure who this is directed at, but I don’t think anyone is talking about punishing the 2010 team or players. I think we are saying it is silly to cry about your team having a bad 6 year stretch right after they win 3 Stanley Cups. 

• Like 4

T1oYViW.png

21 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I just don't get the ruling consistency; why the hell is skirting the combine rules an infinitely worse crime than an organization actively covering for a rapist for a solid decade? You'd think the team with the much more severe infraction would be the one getting the much more severe punishment here, not getting off with nothing and receiving a generational talent.

One team lost two picks for skirting draft combine rules, one team lost no picks and got a generational talent after covering up rape for a decade. I would think the latter deserves the far more severe punishment here, since it's the far more severe crime.

It's pretty consistent really. What Arizona did was against the established rules that are set in place in the CBA related to the actual on-ice playing of games and they were punished per those rules. What Chicago did was not. There weren't any punishments in writing/place for what they did (and what they did didn't really impact the actual on-ice playing of games) so it's different situations.

--

I'm so disappointed the Ducks aren't getting Bedard.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

Did the Maple Leafs lose draft picks for having a pedophile ring operating out of their arena that Harold Ballard probably knew about?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

10 hours ago, Glover said:

Not sure who this is directed at, but I don’t think anyone is talking about punishing the 2010 team or players. I think we are saying it is silly to cry about your team having a bad 6 year stretch right after they win 3 Stanley Cups. 

Yeah, pretty much. I don't wish sickness on Bedard, Kane, Toews, or any player or organisation. I can separate the game from personal lives. Even though recent seasons have not been great for the Blackhawks, they are still fortunate enough to have had 3 Stanley Cups and multiple deep playoff runs.

The draft lottery is the luck of the draw. But if Montreal wasn't going to get Bedard, I would much rather see him go to a team like Columbus, San Jose, Vancover, or even Anaheim, to let someone else have their oppurtunity in the spotlight.

7 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

Did the Maple Leafs lose draft picks for having a pedophile ring operating out of their arena that Harold Ballard probably knew about?

Arizona and New Jersey were also punished by losing a first rounder for much less than covering up SA.

But Bettman wants Bedard in Chicago.

• Like 1

Again, Arizona broke rules directly related to the draft and disadvantaged the other teams. The Devils didn't, not really, but I guess you could argue the blatant cap circumvention disadvantaged the other teams. It wouldn't be a great argument, which is maybe why they ultimately got the pick back. What the Blackhawks did was more about McDonough managing perception of the team than any sort of competitive imbalance. You could argue that "video coach made a player let him blow him*" would have let the Sharks back into the series, but that's even more of a reach than the Kovalchuk deal. If you're arguing that forfeiture of draft picks should be an all-purpose punishment for conduct detrimental to the league, you're opening a can of worms you don't want to open.

Spoiler

*When you draw it up like this, it's OITGDNHL in the darkest possible sense. This would not have happened in other leagues. Some little dude goes up to an 11th overall pick in the NBA draft, says "you have to let me blow you or I'm gonna get you in big trouble," laughed off at best, instantly hate-crimed at worst. Can you imagine Sebastian Telfair like "welp, it's a living"? You're the one, then.

• Like 2

Ad reps in Chicago are already drawing up marketing for Bedard, but he's too young to shill for Binny's, so in a noble attempt to mend fences, they've signed Kyle Beach to be their 2023/24 Binny's Blackhawks ambassador for the 2023 holiday promotion run.  Insiders say Beach will be himself while Jay Zawaski comically portrays a caricature of Brad Aldrich named "Heywood Jablowme."

A Santa Claus-hat wearing Beach will pantomime giving fellatio to "Heywood" and turn to look at the camera, saying "this holiday season, it's better to give than to receive, right Heywood?"  Zawaski, feigning tears of shame, replies "the 2023 Binny's Beverage Lineup is *unf* assaulting store shelves all throughout *oh god, oh* Chicagoland!"

Beach then pulls a Binny's gift card out of his mouth and places it on "Heywood's" sweating, bare chest, telling him and the camera, "shhhh, don't tell!" as cheerful Christmas bells and reindeer frame the graphic with all the local Binny's addresses.

• Huh? 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Gary Bettman posting the world's longest 15-minute video of himself in a Marriott business center holding up the day's Wall Street Journal, reading all the lottery rules, and watching someone draw the lottery balls

FKxAxNyWYAUa2T_.jpg

11 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Maybe it's just me -- but TNT's hockey coverage compared to ESPN's are night and day. TNT blows away ESPN in almost every aspect, in-game and in studio.

With the exception of Mike Breen, that's true for basketball too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I absolutely did not expect we would make it to the ECF after we were limping to the finish line to end the regular season. But I’ll take it! 

Still don’t expect to win the Cup this year, but I’m glad I get to watch another series of stressful playoff hockey. Nothing more exciting! 

• Applause 1

T1oYViW.png

2 hours ago, Glover said:

I absolutely did not expect we would make it to the ECF after we were limping to the finish line to end the regular season. But I’ll take it! 

Still don’t expect to win the Cup this year, but I’m glad I get to watch another series of stressful playoff hockey. Nothing more exciting! 

Honestly, with Florida up 3-1 and Hurricanes winning the likelihood of Carolina-Florida in the ECF feels like a Bettman fever dream.

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

With the exception of Mike Breen, that's true for basketball too.

I might be swayed some if ESPN kicked the tired on a Gary Thorne return. But still, who knows if he even brings value now. He probably hasn't called a hockey game in two decade.

6uXNWAo.png

3 hours ago, Glover said:

They've tripled their road playoff wins from last year

7 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Honestly, with Florida up 3-1 and Hurricanes winning the likelihood of Carolina-Florida in the ECF feels like a Bettman fever dream.

Bettman's wet dream is having all the Sunbelt teams in the Conference Finals.