MLS kits 2023

gosioux76

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

This word-less mark has become increasingly popular with the team. It's all over the building, including on the seats, and is popping up more in merchandise. It's becoming clear that this symbol is now instantly recognizable, making the words unnecessary. 

If I didn't know this was St. Louis I'd think it was for Atlanta. That's why you need the wording.

• Like 4
  • Meh 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Have heard from one person that the Timbers’ new primary kit will include plaid. Can’t confirm that, but wouldn’t surprise me one bit if it ends up being accurate. Their 2017/18 primaries had an embossed plaid pattern, so if true I’d expect more of a bolder approach this time.

• Like 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

8 minutes ago, harney said:

Would be a hell of a lot better without the SC at the bottom however. Just clutters it up.

it also feels like the wrong piece of the team name to highlight. Though, easy mistake to make when your acronym is so many letters.

making that piece STL would be better I think.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

If I didn't know this was St. Louis I'd think it was for Atlanta. That's why you need the wording.

A better solution would be a better/more memorable and distinctive logo, one that clearly conveys the hometown. (Easier said than done, I know.)

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think the solution would be putting the Arch in white.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

But you DO know that it's St. Louis. That's the point. 

Do you need the word "Portland" on the Timbers crest to know that it's the Portland Timbers? Maybe to someone who's completely unfamiliar to the league, but to its fanbase and fans of the league, the symbol is enough. 

17 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Do you need the word "Portland" on the Timbers crest to know that it's the Portland Timbers? Maybe to someone who's completely unfamiliar to the league, but to its fanbase and fans of the league, the symbol is enough. 

Now all I see is a capital A.

Epic fail, St. Louis.

• Like 4
  • Meh 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

24 minutes ago, harney said:

A better solution would be a better/more memorable and distinctive logo, one that clearly conveys the hometown. (Easier said than done, I know.)

Yeah, it’s as if St. Louis needs to erect a big arch-shaped monument that can act as a universal symbol. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Yeah, it’s as if St. Louis needs to erect a big arch-shaped monument that can act as a universal symbol. 

But when there's no distinction in color between the Arch shape and the abstract lines that are supposed to represent rivers, it signals to the viewer that all of those same-colored lines are part of the same object.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

26 minutes ago, CDCLT said:

But when there's no distinction in color between the Arch shape and the abstract lines that are supposed to represent rivers, it signals to the viewer that all of those same-colored lines are part of the same object.

I can see your point, but an abstraction doesn’t need to be literal. You can see the symbol, learn what it represents, and clear up any confusion.

That said, I wouldn’t disagree with the thought that some color distinction separating the arch from the rivers would help. 

But back to the original point, I don’t think the wordless versions of these logos need to be the team’s ONLY logo.  The St. Louis one in particular works as a complement to the primary. 

I would just prefer the simplified version on the jersey. Because at that point, and in that use, what the symbol represents would be clear as day, especially to the team’s supporters.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I do. But people tuning in for the first time will be asking why St. Louis has an A instead of StL for their logo. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 12/24/2022 at 9:48 PM, BC985 said:

On the topic of simpler logos, this logo is already being used at CITYPARK. Hopefully this is the uniform badge in 2-3 years. 

spacer.png

Somebody swap the navy for black and tell me it doesn't look like an alternate ATL logo. I mean for peats sake, it even has our 5 stripes in it with that simple color swap. Or white and it'll look like the ATL Airport logo

I think the shapes are strong, but they've got to do something to distinguish the arch from the T, or the rivers, or whatever the other lines are suppose to represent. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

I stopped in at the new City SC stadium this afternoon because they had hats with the wordless logo in stock at their team stores. Just to give you a sense of how pervasive the wordless secondary mark has become, they're even using it on retail store packaging. If you're in the vicinity of the stadium, that secondary mark is more common than the primary. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

13 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I stopped in at the new City SC stadium this afternoon because they had hats with the wordless logo in stock at their team stores. Just to give you a sense of how pervasive the wordless secondary mark has become, they're even using it on retail store packaging. If you're in the vicinity of the stadium, that secondary mark is more common than the primary. 

spacer.png

That was/is the case over at the shop adjacent to the stadium, as well. They REALLY seem to favor that mark. On its own, it's a really good one, too--but at a glance, it just doesn't read "St. Louis" due to the straightened sides of the arch. But that's what can happen when one gets a little too cute with the linework.

That said, had they gone with "Athletic", as someone mentioned uptrend, the shape of that arch might have made more sense. (That said, they've really taken this ALLCAPS thing and ran with it...kinda clever on their part.)

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

10 hours ago, Digby said:

Woulda been one slick piece of design if the team was called Athletic St Louis.

As it should have been all along. Can’t wait for the next team to be something like Cleveland United City ScFC

• Like 1

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

42 minutes ago, tBBP said:

That was/is the case over at the shop adjacent to the stadium, as well. They REALLY seem to favor that mark. On its own, it's a really good one, too--but at a glance, it just doesn't read "St. Louis" due to the straightened sides of the arch. But that's what can happen when one gets a little too cute with the linework.

That said, had they gone with "Athletic", as someone mentioned uptrend, the shape of that arch might have made more sense. (That said, they've really taken this ALLCAPS thing and ran with it...kinda clever on their part.)

No argument from me on Athletic perhaps working better with this logo. I presume one of their objectives in choosing names was to avoid anything that harkened back to one of the various minor league clubs that immediately preceded getting the MLS team. In the case of St. Louis, AC St. Louis lasted one year in the USSF D2 Pro League and had a really strong following before folding in 2011. 

That might seem insignificant, but even for one year I'm told AC St. Louis still carries some affection with the supporters group. This new ownership group seems to have had no interest in tapping into what used to be. 

spacer.png

• Like 2