NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

3 minutes ago, jerrylawless3 said:

They didn't seem to hint at a color-change, which is odd. I would count that as a "major change".

Agreed. But what a 'major change' is to the board may not be a major change to the casual fan. If the beak changes from yellow to copper, is that truly a major change? Not saying that's happening but something to consider.

A good point that was made in the video that I left out is the sheer volume of bird logos at the stadium that would require updating if there were a major change. Not that's a good enough reason to not update but if they leave the logo relatively untouched they forego the need to make all those additional 'minor' updates.

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

3 minutes ago, MiK said:

Agreed. But what a 'major change' is to the board may not be a major change to the casual fan. If the beak changes from yellow to copper, is that truly a major change? Not saying that's happening but something to consider.

A good point that was made in the video that I left out is the sheer volume of bird logos at the stadium that would require updating if there were a major change. Not that's a good enough reason to not update but if they leave the logo relatively untouched they forego the need to make all those additional 'minor' updates.

I'd imagine changing from red/black/yellow to maroon/gray/orange would force them to change out stadium graphics. It'd be odd if they didn't, but like someone said earlier – the whole stadium is cardinal red and light gray.

This is a bit more high level thought, but what scares me the most is seeing a red-to-black gradient and/or a "chrome" facemask. 

And it would not be out of the question. Something Nike has proven with its last designs where it had liberty is that it is incapable of not recycling elements that were a part of a uniform design that most of the public scoffed at. And you can actually use the elements in the Falcons redesign in 2020 as an example. All of these design elements I am listing below were incorporated into the Falcons uniform despite them being part of uniforms so bad that the teams ditched them after 5 seasons. 

Chrome facemask - Used by the Buccaneers, later rejected as they went back to black. 

Gradient - Used by the Jaguars in their helmet, later rejected as they went back to gloss black // Used in Rams redesign in multiple places

Giant wordmark and numbers - Used by the Browns, later rejected as they went back to standard home/away uniforms // Also used by the Jets

"Triangle" inserts - Used by the Jets & earlier by Buccaneers and Jaguars (though, in smaller scale, it's still the same, boring, easy to implement detail), rejected by two of these three teams. 

Drop shadows - Used by the Browns, rejected as they went back to standard home/away

Basically, what I am getting at is that when Nike has been given the keys to take control, they're pushing out the same stuff. What's highly concerning is that many of these elements were the makeup of uniforms so bad that these teams INSTANTLY began working on reverting back to something else. And it would not shock me if the Falcons, Jets and Rams did not let their uniforms live past the 5 year lifecycle. 

It will be interesting to come back to this check list and see how many of these elements have been re-treaded with Arizona, or if Nike actually, finally, did something thoughtful. Other teams like Detroit, Minnesota, New England, and the LA Chargers seemed like they were more in control of the design process than the above mentioned teams. Arizona went one way or the other...

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Oh god, I'll be on a 3-hour flight when the unveiling happens. Looking forward to seeing 10+ pages added when I land 😂

• LOL 7

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I know we’re all just spit balling here, but I’m gonna guess white helmets with silver flecks (for pizazz). It would match the rumored silver facemasks while still having a similar treatment to the black helmet.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

1 hour ago, jerrylawless3 said:

Is it actually a true white or are they abandoning that for a white-adjacent color, one that would necessitate a nike-fied name? I could see them following the Rams route and having a not-quite-white road uniform and helmet.

Most teams give their white color a cheesy name, like the Texans call it liberty white for example

3 minutes ago, Chawls said:

I know we’re all just spit balling here, but I’m gonna guess white helmets with silver flecks (for pizazz). It would match the rumored silver facemasks while still having a similar treatment to the black helmet.

I don’t see silver, I’m thinking copper mixed in with red/white with stripes on the sleeves. I think they go the traditional route but with a modern number set 

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Who had a sparkly white helmet in the NFL recently?

I want to say it was the Chargers in the Rivers era.

Cardinals could be going for something like that. The black helmet doesn’t really show

much beyond a flecked finish and airbrushed logo.

Hard for me to think of that as outside the box thinking unless the box is from 1956. 

What do you mean when you say “sparkly white helmet” most teams add a slight silver flake to their white shells because it looks more white and doesn’t end up looking yellow on camera

15 minutes ago, dont care said:

What do you mean when you say “sparkly white helmet” most teams add a slight silver flake to their white shells because it looks more white and doesn’t end up looking yellow on camera

This is somewhat true...the Dolphins have used sparkly paint for at least the last 20 years. 

It seems like whatever will be unveiled will be completely different than what 98% of this board wants/thinks/convinced themselves will happen.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.