NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

On 5/26/2023 at 1:57 PM, MCM0313 said:

Nike has relegated striped socks to the “uncool” bin, where they reside alongside dazzle fabric and full sleeves. 

I'll agree on the "dazzle" fabric and I get why we don't have the full sleeves anymore.  But there's no excuse to rejecting stripes.

This classic is a perfect example.  This uniform is beautiful: nice, traditional design, no wild-ass gradients, piping, panels, stripes etc, no crazy different-for-different's-sake numeral font and the those socks really help no only top off the set but make them unique. 

I hate most of what Nike has done to the NFL.  Sometimes they've delivered but more often than not there crap is an eyesore.

(Mod Edit: Photo removed for Deceptive Host. )

• Like 1

I think the issue is that a majority of players have switched over to wearing compression sleeves instead of real socks. That causes problems with consistency and stripes. Take these two photos that were posted earlier:

spacer.png

#41 of the Rams and #88 (80?) of the Lions are both wearing compression leggings. You can tell by the seams running up the sides of the legging. Those are not socks.

spacer.png

Same for all the Commanders above, as well as #45 of the Bears.

Perhaps the league could go to Nike and ask if they could develop a compression legging that includes stripes sublimated into the fabric. That could solve the issues and make it enforceable and consistent from player to player. I get why the players prefer the leggings. I’m sure they are much more comfortable. But as of now, it’s a free for all and nothing is enforced.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

These images contain three of the redesigns Nike has entered over the last 5 years:

1433919342.0.jpg

1163261658.jpg.0.jpg

I don't think Nike can take any credit for the Browns. They were just reverting to the classic stripes from before Nike's previous disaster. The brown alternates however, are stripeless turd pajamas.

spacer.png

• Like 5

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

I think the issue is that a majority of players have switched over to wearing compression sleeves instead of real socks. That causes problems with consistency and stripes. Take these two photos that were posted earlier:

spacer.png

#41 of the Rams and #88 (80?) of the Lions are both wearing compression leggings. You can tell by the seams running up the sides of the legging. Those are not socks.

spacer.png

Same for all the Commanders above, as well as #45 of the Bears.

Perhaps the league could go to Nike and ask if they could develop a compression legging that includes stripes sublimated into the fabric. That could solve the issues and make it enforceable and consistent from player to player. I get why the players prefer the leggings. I’m sure they are much more comfortable. But as of now, it’s a free for all and nothing is enforced.

Adidas did this with some of the leggings MLS goalkeepers are wearing this year, except the stripes are vertical instead of horizontal. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

The NFL also seems to have stopped enforcing any kind of rules around socks. That's why I think I'm ready to live in a post-sock world where players just show their legs like in college. 

Spare me from seeing all of this:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

You would still see all this except some guys would just have no socks. You'd just be adding another variable

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CS85 said:

Leave the bare legs to the NCAA.  The NFL would look stupid as hell without socks.

They’ll look like they forgot a 1/3 of their uniform.

No bare legs in the NFL.  

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, JustABallCoach said:

I like pant stripes, but the ravens are bad example to me. This black pants with stripes were awful. I’m sure you could do a better version, those aren’t it. 

The Ravens should retire the Black pants permanently if they haven’t already.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 3

2 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

With the exception of the original helmet and sleeve logos, the Ravens' first uniforms sucked in a major way.

Baltimore Ravens Photo - National Football League (NFL) - Chris Creamer's  Sports Logos Page - SportsLogos.Net

It’s one of my favorites lol. I liked the black-purple-black look with the serifed numbers. The white stripe was weird. 

• Like 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

18 hours ago, dont care said:

Why? And have only white pants?

White pants with the Purple jersey and Purple pants with the White jersey, with the occasional swap of White/White and Purple/Purple to make the players/young fans happy.  That's what they should wear, and only what they should wear, until they do a redesign:

c1x9spuntcomzjhsgorb.jpg

se9kidqadnhm1prl3edx.jpgh7yohpnpl3hm3natpruo.jpg

ywmayzb3m24knx8kq1rv.jpg

That means no more of this:

xw6yjaroxb4vcrqthffw.jpg

qtfemnhnhmob4f3qqbh5.jpg

lmjhfavjagelyobxzpjp.jpgzyi8ijn68grggylavvjq.jpg

In most ways, I don't hate the Black over Purple, but with no coordinating helmet/pant stripe, it looks off.  It's one of those rare instances where a solid, stripeless pant would work better.  Or, if they kept it, but updated the helmet to get rid of the 90's pointed shards and gave themselves a traditional 3-stripe, it could be their best look.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2