NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

2 hours ago, Cujo said:

Nine, Congrats on getting the digit font incorrect!

mens-nike-dk-metcalf-royal-seattle-seaha

They did drop the serif 1 in ‘94. I guess that font is technically correct?

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I'm expecting to see the Colts bring back their blue throwback helmets that they wore in the late aughts, paired with the 3-stripe set they've worn each of the last few years. The only difference between the 1956 throwbacks they've worn and a 1955 throwback is swapping out the white helmets for blue. Seems a bit more likely than a new black alt as they've worn them in years past and already have an alternate uniform to pair a blue helmet with. Would be the easiest throwback in the world.

Of course, a mono black monstrosity on a team that doesn't even need black in their color palette is never off the table nowadays, but one can be optimistic. 

• Like 1

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

10 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

Probably doesn't mean anything in regard to what the Jets wear this year, but this tweet gives me some hope that they're stick to traditional combos with Rodgers there now.

If the Jets just wore G/G/W/G, G/W/G/W, and G/W/W/G, I think it's a pretty nice-looking set. 

I don't know if that truly does mean anything because  G/G/W/G is still technically the primary set so it make sense to be for media day-esque photos. They only wore the green jerseys once(!) last season and the jersey combo they wore the most, G/W/B/B, was something that came up on a whim the season prior to last, so I don't know if there's much to be read into with the Rodgers photo for the Jets of recent years.

7 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

Very interesting. I do maybe wish they went with the greens though.

IbjBaeE.png

Catching up,

Bucs: Great, but that's not to be unexpected with that set

Browns: Meh, whatever

Vikings: Meh. They are throwbacks that really feel like throwbacks. I do like their current set, minus the numbers, so I'm not getting all hot and bothered over Northwestern stripes.

Seahawks: Great. I do prefer the new logo but I would not be against Seattle going back to those colours full time

Colts: Going to be all black right? That Twitter video is not one you put out if you are going with throwbacks.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

If the Colts do go for this "night mode" fad, that would be 10 teams in the league with an all-black option (and the only reason it wouldn't be 11 is the Saints' especially bad black helmet can't be worn with their especially bad leotard home uniform). 

The only teams where I like the all-black look is the Ravens. For some reason thinking back to night games with them in those, it hits different. 

Literally nobody else should wear black from head to toe. It just reeks of attention-grabbing for a Tuesday or Thursday night MAC game on ESPN2, or an overnight order for a high school team that has a big rivalry game and needs some extra fuel or whatever the hell. 

Just doesn't look right for the NFL

• Like 4

9 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I think of all of the modernized team looks from the 2000s and 2010s, the Seahawks pulled it off the best (including the 2002 redesign as well).

The Nike set is a nice iteration of the Reebok set, that goes all-in on navy monochrome in a way that looks intentional, the number font is unique in a way that has aged well, the wide helmet stripe fits the look, and overall, it's a cohesive aesthetic across multiple color combinations (though I personally hate blue over white and white over white).

The color looks especially drab compared to their new alternates, and I could definitely see a call to lighten the Hawks up a little bit.

Comparing the Seahawks' retro outfits to their modern ones is like comparing the two blue liveries of the Gresley A4 (LNER Garter Blue and BR Express Passenger Blue):

9040224587_a7bcb029d7_b.jpg

3340743635_3371b2e1f4_b.jpg

Both are good liveries, but one has brighter colors and an overall more "cheerful" appearance. The other, more modern take, has a darker and busier look that still feels right. It's totally reasonable to prefer one over the other - and to seek a proper hybrid of the two (brighter blue for the Seahawks and less detailing overall, the later blue A4 with a brighter base and valences restored, etc.).

Besides, both the Seahawks and the A4 have worn outfits/liveries very inappropriate for them:

630033100.jpg.jpg60009-union-of-south-africa-at-bury-on-the-east-lancashire-railway-october-2014-1.jpg

9 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

But for a franchise that went all-in on modernity, I feel like Seattle did it the best since Denver way back in 1996.

Absolutely - but Denver returning to that faded-y orange screwed up the look. Seattle thankfully hasn't messed up their colors like that.

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
  • WOAH 1

23 minutes ago, _RH_ said:

It's a shame we can't throwback to the pants that better match the finish on the helmet:

yCIOf2W.jpg

640px-Seattle_Seahawks_2000.jpg

Ahh - "progress"!

“The new Throwback uniforms merge the past with the present, paying tribute to the original color scheme and design elements while using the latest materials and technology for the modern game. 

https://throwback.seahawks.com/home

EZI3ABKVAAAiiOW?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Their pants were matte gray for at least the first several years of their existence.  

Helmet materials change.  Glove materials changes.  Cleat materials change.  Uniform materials change.

I suppose we could go back to the fabric shown on Jim Zorn above though, for historical accuracy’s sake…performance be damned.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 2

47 minutes ago, _RH_ said:

It's a shame we can't throwback to the pants that better match the finish on the helmet:

yCIOf2W.jpg

640px-Seattle_Seahawks_2000.jpg

Ahh - "progress"!

The blue is much more vibrant and overall the throwback uniform looks better.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jimmy! said:

If you want to get THAT technical, the collar and NOB font is wrong too. It's still a beautiful jersey.

Looking at the notched serif on the 1, that does match what they wore from about 1983-93, per Gridiron.

As for the name font, I thought that could be an effort to mimic the old Champion name font. But I don't know if the Seahawks ever wore Champion on-field.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

6 minutes ago, BigEd76 said:

Anyone know what the holdup is with the Eagles throwback reveal?

They need to grease the poles first.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 9
  • WOAH 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.