NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

8 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

Yes they did! But anyone clamoring for them to go back to these full time is nuts. They may look real cute now, but just try to imagine these on the back end of four consecutive ten loss seasons (something this franchise is very capable of at any point) where they wear nothing but the creamsicle throwbacks. It quickly goes from a fun little thing to a pirate with a dagger in its mouth winking at you in baby puke orange and a slightly darker shade of orange. For years. People really can’t quite grasp just how much that look was HATED by the time they changed it. Those old orange unis had such a putrid stench of failure caked into them by 1996. They had to go. 

These are fun strictly because they so rarely make an appearance. They’re a fun little treat on special occasions. Once a year is enough, and like I’ve said before, I’d like to see it even more infrequently than that, even. Once every five years, give or take, and only for really special occasions. 

The Creamsicles might be the only entry in a rare category of uniforms that are a thing of beauty but also don't belong on a football field. 

I'm never one for the macho notion that uniforms need to look tough, but I was reading a news story from 1996 in which Trent Dilfer said something to the effect of his linemen looking and feeling inferior in wearing those uniforms playing such a tough and aggressive game. From that perspective, I can kinda see it. It makes you wonder whether the uniforms didn't contribute to those years of being a laughingstock. 

1 minute ago, gosioux76 said:

The Creamsicles might be the only entry in a rare category of uniforms that are a thing of beauty but also don't belong on a football field. 

I'm never one for the macho notion that uniforms need to look tough, but I was reading a news story from 1996 in which Trent Dilfer said something to the effect of his linemen looking and feeling inferior in wearing those uniforms playing such a tough and aggressive game. From that perspective, I can kinda see it. It makes you wonder whether the uniforms didn't contribute to those years of being a laughingstock. 

No.

If that were the case, they wouldn't have made the Conference Championship game with one heckuva defense in 1979

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

10 hours ago, Ark said:

The Giants new helmets look great

USATSI_21659528.jpg?resize=1536,1116

1738216864.jpg?resize=1536,1024

They look cool.

Deep navy helmets over royal blue jerseys.. Hard pass.

It's nice to show homage to those Tuna teams. But I will flip out if they ever go back to this look on a full-time basis.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 2

6uXNWAo.png

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

The Broncos had royal blue helmets for almost 30 years at the same time that they supposedly couldn't be done for other teams.

Those Bronco helmets weren't royal blue and would've been just as big of a mismatch with the Giants' jerseys as the navy blue was.  Maybe more.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

9 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

Yes they did! But anyone clamoring for them to go back to these full time is nuts. They may look real cute now, but just try to imagine these on the back end of four consecutive ten loss seasons (something this franchise is very capable of at any point) where they wear nothing but the creamsicle throwbacks. It quickly goes from a fun little thing to a pirate with a dagger in its mouth winking at you in baby puke orange and a slightly darker shade of orange. For years. People really can’t quite grasp just how much that look was HATED by the time they changed it. Those old orange unis had such a putrid stench of failure caked into them by 1996. They had to go. 

These are fun strictly because they so rarely make an appearance. They’re a fun little treat on special occasions. Once a year is enough, and like I’ve said before, I’d like to see it even more infrequently than that, even. Once every five years, give or take, and only for really special occasions. 

THANK YOU!!!!!! As much as I love them, they went to Pewter Power for a reason. The Pewter/Red dominant made a difference in their attitude. Just listen to Warren Sapp as he grew up with them down the road from his home in Orlando. The Yucks! If they make an appearance a couple times a year I'm happy. But it's obvious that after the Alarm Clock number uniform mistake, they went back to a winning uniform. AND won a Super Bowl in them twice (yes there are slight differences, but the same concept.)

• Like 2
PersonDivided-2-1.png

57 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Nothing from the lips of Trent Dilfer requires serious consideration.

• Like 1

I guess I'm the only person who believes in creamsicle orange full-time for the Buccaneers. Vivid colors are back in style, everyone loves wearing magenta suits on postgame shows, so wearing a garish football jersey should be no issue. The logo can use some Cardinals/Panthers fine-tuning, of course, and there's no reason to commit to all the other details of the '76 uniform, but it's a better team color to build a brand around than dark red and warm grey.

• Like 5
  • Dislike 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just now, the admiral said:

I guess I'm the only person who believes in creamsicle orange full-time for the Buccaneers. Vivid colors are back in style, everyone loves wearing magenta suits on postgame shows, so wearing a garish football jersey should be no issue. The logo can use some Cardinals/Panthers fine-tuning, of course, and there's no reason to commit to all the other details of the '76 uniform, but it's a better team color to build a brand around than dark red and warm grey.

They could use it for a while, but if fans don't like it, they would need a change from it ASAP.

I understand why Bucs fans might not be crazy about the idea of  full time return to the bright orange, but am I the only one that has kind of soured on the current version of the pewter/red uniform?  I dunno, back in the early 2000's Tampa's original go-round  with this look was IMO about as perfect as an NFL uniform gets, but the new version is just kind... meh. I'm not entirely sure why, but Nike's absolutely terrible version of the pewter pants has a lot to do with it, I think.  The dark charcoal looks bad with the red jersey, but red over white is just bland. And the terminator skull will always be vastly inferior to the original pirate scrawled version of the logo.

Like the rest of us, when they dumped the alarm clock numbers and the mess that went with them for this "return" uniform, I was pretty pumped, but as time as gone by with it, I'm getting pretty underwhelmed. Nike's inability to get certain colors right can definitely cause issues.

• Like 8

Just now, oldschoolvikings said:

I understand why Bucs fans might not be crazy about the idea of  full time return to the bright orange, but am I the only one that has kind of soured on the current version of the pewter/red uniform?  I dunno, back in the early 2000's Tampa's original go-round  with this look was IMO about as perfect as an NFL uniform gets, but the new version is just kind... meh. I'm not entirely sure why, but Nike's absolutely terrible version of the pewter pants has a lot to do with it, I think.  The dark charcoal looks bad with the red jersey, but red over white is just bland. And the terminator skull will always be vastly inferior to the original pirate scrawled version of the logo.

Like the rest of us, when they dumped the alarm clock numbers and the mess that went with them for this "return" uniform, I was pretty pumped, but as time as gone by with it, I'm getting pretty underwhelmed. Nike's inability to get certain colors right can definitely cause issues.

Fair.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Nope, I'm right there with you. I never liked the seasonal affective disorder 49ers to begin with, but the fact that Nike refuses to replicate metallic pewter pants and leaves them instead with warm grey makes it irredeemable. 

Another problem: what is their home uniform? Is it:

pewter/red/grey/black,

pewter/red/white/black,

pewter/white/grey/black,

pewter/white/white/black?

And that's not even mentioning the ill-conceived warm grey jersey or the tendency to wear snowflake-emoji white socks. You have a good chance of seeing any of these combinations in Tampa. I know every team's identity is a complete mess right now, but that's been a problem with this set going back to the days when the whole league didn't have that problem. A creamsicle set would be comparatively idiotproofed.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1
  • Eyeroll 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There's a member that was in the equipment business and explained the whole blue-colored helmet thing in great detail at some point.  Can't recall the username.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Those Bronco helmets weren't royal blue and would've been just as big of a mismatch with the Giants' jerseys as the navy blue was.  Maybe more.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I don't know... how much of a mismatch Denver's helmets were often had to do with lighting, while those Giants helmets always looked like crap regardless of conditions. It's difficult to get an exact match with different materials, but I think it looks worse when a team doesn't even try (see also: Cowboys).

• Like 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12