NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

Just now, MCM0313 said:

Let’s be honest…the Patriots would benefit from less navy in general. Blue should still be their primary color (they’re not the Redcoats), but they need better balance in their colors. Less blue, more red, more silver. 

Which is my point. The Patriots focus on navy as their identity at the cost of all their other colors. They've had silver pants this whole time, and have worn them a total of three times, all in the last two years. They went from terrible uniforms that stuck around due to success to terrible uniforms that just seem to be NFNS (navy for navy's sake, they even wear navy leggings every time they wear the white jersey). I'd actually consider the jersey itself to be an upgrade from the Brady era, but the rest of the uniform drags it way down.

On 11/1/2023 at 9:24 PM, BBTV said:

Disagree there.  I grew up watching Seth Joyner, Jerome Brown, Reggie White, Eric Allen, Clyde Simmons, Andre Watters, Randall, Heath goddam Sherman, Keith Byers / Jackson, Jimmy freaking Giles, Arkansas Fred, and so on and so forth.  So those were the uniforms of my youth and I originally hated the switch to midnight green.  Not that they're perfect by any measure, but I think the 2003 update fixed all of the major issues, and I now find them superior, with one exception:  The helmet wings.

The current wings are too cartoony, and would look better either being solid silver inside the black, and going back to the angled style.  The white and silver combo inside the rounded wing outlined in black is just too much.

I'm fine with them going back to kelly green (though their older shade, not the oversaturated version they wore last week) but with a different look.  Simple... but different.  Minimal black, just silver, green, and white.  Something like the Chargers, but with silver and white numbers (or green and silver on the white jersey) and no lightning bolt (duh.)

This helmet is better than both the current and the 80s.  There's a second photo which is the same helmet (mini version) but the lighting is different so it looks like it would if they put those awesome wings on a midnight green helmet.

Silver-only wings on a midnight-green helmet would look great.  Either way, just get me the same deep green as before.

I wholeheartedly agree with the first bolded part.  I think the current wings look terrible.

I disagree with the second bolded part.  The white outline on the 70s-80s helmet looks much better than the plain silver, IMHO.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 11/5/2023 at 10:15 PM, ruttep said:

Which is my point. The Patriots focus on navy as their identity at the cost of all their other colors. They've had silver pants this whole time, and have worn them a total of three times, all in the last two years. They went from terrible uniforms that stuck around due to success to terrible uniforms that just seem to be NFNS (navy for navy's sake, they even wear navy leggings every time they wear the white jersey). I'd actually consider the jersey itself to be an upgrade from the Brady era, but the rest of the uniform drags it way down.

You can’t call something NFNS when they have had navy for over 2 decades

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont care said:

You can’t call something NFNS when they have had navy for over 2 decades

I can when for two full seasons the ONLY uniforms they wore were all navy and white jersey with navy leggings (Even now, the only games over the last couple of seasons that didn't feature an overload of navy were three silver pants games and three throwback games). Other teams that occasionally wear all navy (Seahawks, Texans, Bears) have other pant and sock combos that they can mix in (and do). I'm still not convinced that the Patriots are going to do the right thing and make their silver pants their primary, especially since Robert Kraft is apparently fond of all navy.

• Yawn 1

10 minutes ago, ruttep said:

I can when for two full seasons the ONLY uniforms they wore were all navy and white jersey with navy leggings (Even now, the only games over the last couple of seasons that didn't feature an overload of navy were three silver pants games and three throwback games). Other teams that occasionally wear all navy (Seahawks, Texans, Bears) have other pant and sock combos that they can mix in (and do). I'm still not convinced that the Patriots are going to do the right thing and make their silver pants their primary, especially since Robert Kraft is apparently fond of all navy.

BFBS exists when you have a black uniform in a color scheme without black. It is not NFNS if their primary color is navy, it's just overusing navy. If the Vikings added a navy jersey, that would be NFNS

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

1 minute ago, MNtwins3 said:

BFBS exists when you have a black uniform in a color scheme without black. It is not NFNS if their primary color is navy, it's just overusing navy. If the Vikings added a navy jersey, that would be turrible

FTFY

• LOL 2

2 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

FTFY

That was kind of the point.

5 minutes ago, MNtwins3 said:

BFBS exists when you have a black uniform in a color scheme without black. It is not NFNS if their primary color is navy, it's just overusing navy. If the Vikings added a navy jersey, that would be NFNS

Fair. The Patriots are just completely embarrassing themselves with their current uniforms.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ruttep said:

It’s still not NFNS. It’s just an overuse of navy

• Like 5

It's darker colors in general which was the fad exiting the 90's. Heck, when the Texans entered the league, we were navy team number nine adding to the always navy Bears, the then newly-changed Bills, Patriots, Rams (from Royal), Cowboys, Chargers (both from dark Royal since the 1980's), Broncos (orange) and the Titans (Columbia).

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MrAstrodome said:

It's darker colors in general which was the fad exiting the 90's. Heck, when the Texans entered the league, we were navy team number nine adding to the always navy Bears, the then newly-changed Bills, Patriots, Rams (from Royal), Cowboys, Chargers (both from dark Royal since the 1980's), Broncos (orange) and the Titans (Columbia).

Ahhh yes, the period I like to call The  Toughening, which saw ‘wimpy’ colors like royal blue and Kelly green get kicked to the curb in favor of darker, less inspired hues (see also: Buccaneers, Seahawks, introduction of Ravens, permanent Saints black pants, et al.). Someday, I’ll finish my essay on this…

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, timjameskohler said:

Ahhh yes, the period I like to call The  Toughening, which saw ‘wimpy’ colors like royal blue and Kelly green get kicked to the curb in favor of darker, less inspired hues (see also: Buccaneers, Seahawks, introduction of Ravens, permanent Saints black pants, et al.). Someday, I’ll finish my essay on this…

Oh no, you gon' finish this essay now...I wanna see this! 😄

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

They're just as bad as the Brady uniforms. They're the kind of uniforms you'd expect from Robert Morris or Samford, not the #2 NFL team on the Forbes list.

Whatever floats your boat. Saying this set that actually looks like a very traditional uniform is just as bad as the piping train wreck of the Brady-era duds is absolutely egregious.

• Like 4
  • Dislike 2

These current Patriots uniforms are a nice mix of the historic uniforms with the modern brand in terms of style. You've got the striping pattern from the 60s on the jerseys with the block font combined with the coloring of the Brady years.

84836609.0.jpg

logan-mankins.jpg

ZMQ6KB3X6NTOMGMAZDORBDYPSU.jpg

If the goal was to incorporate the modern colors into a traditional Patriots uniform, you couldn't do a better job of it than this IMO. 

• Like 6

This Patriots set is nice when paired with the silver pants. Without those pants, nothing matches the helmet base color. But there is no reason to dog the uniform. It has the same problem that over half the league has every week. It just isn't paired right. 

• Like 13

It also has the unfortunate context of being adopted the season after Tom Brady left. They’ll always be the “regression to the mean” set, tainted by their association with the team falling apart.

This is the same issue as the Cavs’ early 2010s uniform set, after Lebron left for the first time. It looked good, but it was tainted by that association with the “austerity” years in between Lebron’s two tenures.

• Like 6