College Football 2023

Rixaroo

6 minutes ago, cajunaggie08 said:

Did their Under Armour deal reach the end of the contract or did Under Armour terminate this one early too?

IIRC they terminated their contract alongside UCLA's but there's not a lot of articles I'm finding about Cal's situation with UA. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/under-armour-lawsuit-ucla-675m-settlement/snzvz8nnyecu89pbf2tdbpip

UCLA settled for 67.5 mil. 

• Like 2

AmPJ0Ty.png 

1 minute ago, WestCoastBias said:

Their 10 year deal started in 2017 so it ended early but I haven't seen anything regarding if Under Armour was able to terminate it or if they reached a settlement with Cal, similar to UCLA.

I wonder if the bit in the press release about BSN Sports means that their apparel deal isn't directly with Nike but rather BSN Sports agreeing to supply them Nike equipment. If so, I wouldn't expect too many custom designs and Cal just going with catalogue uniforms

• Sad 1

Florida's adding a black alternate. No idea when they'll be revealed, or what they'll look like (it could follow the same template as the rest of football, look more similar to the ones basketball wears, or be something new entirely) but Napier said it'll be worn in the game closest to Veterans Day. This year, that'd be @ LSU, but I'm guessing it'll actually be the week prior at home against Arkansas so they can show it off to the home fans.

• Applause 1
  • Dislike 3
  • Hate 1

ExJworW.png

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

Again I don’t have confirmation, but from what I’ve heard I’m not totally convinced it won’t just be the ‘94/95 throwbacks again. 

If pleasing the fans is the main goal then this is really the only right jersey to throw it back to. Wouldn't mind seeing an away version too...

• Like 2

20 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

florida state football uniforms

If they updated the template and took the pattern off the collar, it would go a long way with these uniforms. 

Is it an unpopular opinion to say these are vastly better than the “classic” set? I also think they should create a pants stripe with the sleeve pattern. It’d really complete the uniform. 

• Like 1

I think you’d find that it is an unpopular opinion. FSU has a good idea with their current unis, but they need to strip it back and go simpler. White numbers were a step in the right direction. Leave the pattern on the collar, maybe add it to the cuff, and take it off the sleeves. Tweak the shades a bit to make the gold richer.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

Cal is going back to Nike, starting July 1st. 

Adding onto this. 

9 of the 12 teams in the Pac-12 will be wearing Nike or Jordan in 2023. Washington and Arizona State are both Adidas while Utah is the lone remaining Under Armour team. 

2 hours ago, BigDmo said:

If pleasing the fans is the main goal then this is really the only right jersey to throw it back to. Wouldn't mind seeing an away version too...

I would love to see a road version. In an ideal world they’d rock both like Cal did with their home and away Joe Roth throwbacks this year.

• Like 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

4 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

Cal is going back to Nike, starting July 1st. 

I've returned to the forum to just say FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting any type of new gear for the past few years has been a serious PITA due to this deal being in flux. I was very surprised to see the special Big Game jerseys as well as the road version of the Joe Roth throwback since there had been no updates on the status or end date of the current partnership. 

Cal doesn't need any type of flashy uniform as long as they stick to the same options as this past season: blue/gold/white options for uniforms/pants (throwback alternates) and blue/throwback yellow/yellow options for helmets 

• Like 4

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

28 minutes ago, djam2410 said:

I've returned to the forum to just say FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting any type of new gear for the past few years has been a serious PITA due to this deal being in flux. I was very surprised to see the special Big Game jerseys as well as the road version of the Joe Roth throwback since there had been no updates on the status or end date of the current partnership. 

Cal doesn't need any type of flashy uniform as long as they stick to the same options as this past season: blue/gold/white options for uniforms/pants (throwback alternates) and blue/throwback yellow/yellow options for helmets 

24 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

I really liked the California stripe uniforms Under Armour rolled out for them. PRAYING Nike actually does something unique with them instead of just putting yellow numbers on a navy jersey. 

I thought the Sather Stripe was incredibly boring and got old really quick, it forced every uniform in their entire athletic department into a dull corner. A couple teams were able to get away from it towards the end, notably baseball which looked great last season. The best uniforms during Under Armor's run were mostly throwbacks though. However, Under Armour did do an amazing job with the bear inside the block C logo and with the wordmarks/fonts. 

I really hope they go back to glossy helmets too.

• Like 5

I'm very glad that Cal is finally free of UA's BS, but I will mourn the visual package that UA and Cal cooked up together. The walking bear inside the block C and script California blew away Nike's front-facing bear and pointy font. Gray was eliminated from the color scheme (why was it ever there in the first place, Nike??) and white accents were minimized, leading to uniforms that were entirely focused on beautiful blue and gold. Sure, the Sather stripe got a little stale, but it remains way better than Nike's paneled nonsense. The Joe Roth uniforms were obviously amazing. I hope the logos and scripts can transfer over and the preference for simplified and traditional looks survives.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

Adding onto this. 

9 of the 12 teams in the Pac-12 will be wearing Nike or Jordan in 2023. Washington and Arizona State are both Adidas while Utah is the lone remaining Under Armour team. 

Thats pretty much true for all college conferences except the SWAC.

SEC

Nike/Jordan - 10

Adidas - 2

Under Armour - 2

Big 12

Nike/Jordan - 8 11

Adidas - 1

Under Armour - 1 2

Big Ten

Nike/Jordan - 9

Adidas - 3

Under Armour - 1

ACC

Nike/Jordan - 9

Adidas - 4*

Under Armour - 1**

New Balance - 1*

* Boston College wears Adidas for football and New Balance for all other sports

**Notre Dame

• Like 2

1 hour ago, radchad said:

I'm very glad that Cal is finally free of UA's BS, but I will mourn the visual package that UA and Cal cooked up together. The walking bear inside the block C and script California blew away Nike's front-facing bear and pointy font. Gray was eliminated from the color scheme (why was it ever there in the first place, Nike??) and white accents were minimized, leading to uniforms that were entirely focused on beautiful blue and gold. Sure, the Sather stripe got a little stale, but it remains way better than Nike's paneled nonsense. The Joe Roth uniforms were obviously amazing. I hope the logos and scripts can transfer over and the preference for simplified and traditional looks survives.

I would like to see the Block C and Bear on the helmet 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TreyEight said:

I believe Hawaii is getting new uniforms. They always bring out heat 

Their last set with Under Armour were fantastic and great updates to the Colt Brennan era uniforms. Adidas went super basic when they took over, hopefully they can get back to something similar to the last Under Armour ones. 

Under Armour:

69177293_2524760950949180_58217295186241

ap20348201507203.jpg

Adidas:

1242769309.jpg

USATSI_17244032-2.jpg

• Like 2

Kansas is strongly rumored to be changing things up. Rumors are dropping the trajan font and adopting the 1941 Jayhawk "Warhawk."

I don't know if they are moving more toward a look similar to this or not but their coach does like to mix up uniform combinations.

spacer.png

On 1/11/2023 at 3:22 PM, WestCoastBias said:

Their 10 year deal started in 2017 so it ended early but I haven't seen anything regarding if Under Armour was able to terminate it or if they reached a settlement with Cal, similar to UCLA.

Cal wore the gear without covering up the UA logos, so I'm guessing they just  ended the deal. I'm sure this means new football uniforms, but the ones they have now are pretty good. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png