College Football 2023

Rixaroo

4 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

By virtue of being from Maryland I've blindly supported their athletic programs my entire life because, homer. With that being said, Testudo is a lame mascot in every form. And this is coming from a guy the was a Ninja Turtles fan growing up. Give me state flags, banners and the letter M any time over the Terrapin.

I think I have a solution.

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • LOL 22

spacer.png

18 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

I wonder if this means UNC will have an updated design. They are selling 700+ football game jerseys. It could just be a template change, but possibly something to monitor.

Probably getting ready for more new gear, but if they make a change I hope they stay with the Ronald Curry uniforms and add some argyle to them. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

19 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Did you only become aware of their football program in the 2010s? Because they've had other (IMO superior) helmets prior to that.

It is possible to be aware of (or even be knowledgeable about) the program before 2010 and still have the opinion that the flag is the superior brand. The only helmet that I think someone could possibly argue is superior is the 1997-2000 helmet, though the logo on the 1970 helmet is amazing by itself. The Terps Script is overrated, so please don't go there, though I do like it as a throwback uniform for the same reason I like other throwback uniforms that aren't superior to a team's current look. There's nothing wrong with tying their identity to the flag, as we've seen what can go wrong when they lean to far into a turtle shell and there's nothing uniquely Maryland in their history beyond what I've already mentioned (and the obvious one-time Fort McHenry helmet).

• Like 3

On 3/18/2023 at 10:30 AM, colinturner95 said:

i came here to mention those or

Maryland - HELMET HISTORY

modernize these 

These updated with the UnderArmour M would look really good.

On 3/19/2023 at 10:46 AM, burgundy said:

At least that logo has Testudo holding the flag. They haven't used a logo with Testudo since 2012, and the turtle shell helmets were back in 2011. A whole decade of nothing but flag imagery across all their sports. They may as well be the Maryland Marylanders at this point. They've been so focused on the state's unique flag that they've forgotten about the school mascot that is also incredibly unique.

This logo still gets used a lot*, though not on uniforms that I can recall.  My assumption has always been that it doesn't show up on the uniforms because it uses the old Aachen Bold M instead of the UnderArmour M.

* -- My son (junior at Maryland) and I (Maryland fan since the 70s) have plenty of swag to prove it.

spacer.png

That said, I've always been a bigger fan of the logo on the 1970 helmet or this one if we're talking about logos using a terrapin.

spacer.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 3/19/2023 at 5:25 PM, Ted Cunningham said:

I applaud Maryland for going through so many iterations of their uniforms combining red, white, black, and gold. And I am generally on the side of using the flag motif, as they are the flagship state university (so why not) and Maryland's flag is memorable and popular. But the helmet design shown above highlights something that I think Maryland has done fairly well when they've employed it: using two pairs of colors somewhat separately and in parallel.

spacer.png

This is the ideal example of this concept: black and gold elements on the helmet and pants, red and white on the jersey (and if they had socks, red and white could carry to the socks as well). I really like this tandem approach. It employs all four colors without becoming overly busy (e.g. multiple outlines on the numbers just to fit three of the four colors in, etc.).

My ideal Maryland uniform would employ the state flag imagery, the general idea of running these color pairs in tandem, and the Terps script. (Typing all that makes me realize how dumb the idea sounds, but I think execution works):

spacer.png

Forgot to include this in my multi-quote (which may be a good thing because it would have made for a reallllllllyyyyy long reply.

If I can tell on myself, in the mid-late 70s, being a wee lass of around 10, I always thought of Maryland as a red and white team.  I always thought the helmet logo on this uniform was just a sort of washed out red.  Instead, it is actually a good example of the parallel use of the colors, like the throwback posted by @Ted Cunningham.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

18 minutes ago, NH4 said:

Shameless plug but I combined these in my college football concepts topic

83ogNvb.png

That bottom right is the way [for them] to go...

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I wish Maryland would swap the placement black and yellow on the white M against red backgrounds. Black should be in between the two light colors.

• Like 3

Hotter Than July > Thriller

13 hours ago, Hambone792 said:

Anybody know the details for UNLV and Nike?

I believe their contract was supposed to end in 2022, but I never saw/heard about an extension

Do they actually have a Nike “contract” or do they just get their uniforms from Nike. 

4 hours ago, dont care said:

Do they actually have a Nike “contract” or do they just get their uniforms from Nike. 

They have an actual contract. It was a three-year, $9 million deal that expires in May. The last time their contract expired in May 2019, they announced the new contract two months later after taking it to market. I anticipate something similar will happen again this year because they've been with Nike for decades.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

They have an actual contract. It was a three-year, $9 million deal that expires in May. The last time their contract expired in May 2019, they announced the new contract two months later after taking it to market. I anticipate something similar will happen again this year because they've been with Nike for decades.

May 2019-May 2023 would be four years. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Deion Sanders posted a gold chrome Buffs helmet on his Instagram story. It was only a mini helmet, but I think the intention was clear. Chrome helmets probably likely this season. I much prefer the finish they've used the last few years, and I think chrome is too flashy for most teams to pull off, but if CU goes with the right uniform route, they may work.

I just hope they don't use them for the Husker game. That needs to be classic Gold/Black/Gold vs White/White/Red.

Also seems to be a teaser for new uniforms on his Instagram as well, using his "Look Good, Feel Good" moniker.

@COACHPRIME on Instagram: “If you look good, you feel good #CoachPrime @cubuffsfootball”

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

3 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

I much prefer the finish they've used the last few years, and I think chrome is too flashy for most teams to pull off, but if CU goes with the right uniform route, they may work.

The finish they've use the last few years (which I think is a gold satin) is better than chrome, but I wish they went back to glossy metallic paint they had for so many years. The satin gives it more of a tan vibe...likely to better match what CU has in the jersey and pants, but it's just blah. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.