College Football 2023

Rixaroo

9 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

I’m sure they’ll have a white uniform, but it’s interesting that it wasn’t included in the release. Almost makes it seem like the red jersey will be worn exclusively for all games.

They have worn the white version recently.  The question to me is whether they'll mix and match the pants.

They also wore a black version of that jersey at least once back in the 80s (against Clemson or Penn State, if memory serves me),  so I wouldn't be surprised to see a black jersey too.

4 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

Unpopular opinion: the script Terps uniforms suck and going back to them is a severe over-correction. 

In a vacuum, maybe.  It's certainly not perfect and the sleeve stripes are from a bygone era.

That said, the script Terps logo harkens back to Maryland's too most recent periods of sustained success, the Bobby Ross and Ralph Friedgen eras.  It is a good PR move on Maryland's part to tap into the positive feelings that most alumni and fans have for those uniforms.

I am 55, so I was 15-20 during the Bobby Ross era (i.e., right in the heart of one of the target demographic groups) . . . and I am glad to see they pulled the trigger.

• Like 3

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

20 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

Unpopular opinion: the script Terps uniforms suck and going back to them is a severe over-correction. 

I prefer the flag helmet over the Terps script, but overall they're going with the superior look. Plus, it makes life easier for people photoshopping Maryland players into NFL uniforms. 

Seven Terps invited to the 2023 NFL Combine | DC News Now

That helmet was a pain if you simply wanted to repaint the lids instead of searching for another helmet in as close to the pose used as possible. 

Terps Top Three: Popular script 'Terps' helmets, uniforms return for  Michigan State game - Washington Times

This is much easier to work with, and overall the entire layout looks better. The previous regular font is better than the ones used for the fauxbacks, but that's about it uniform wise. I do think they should change one of those black pant stripes to yellow as well.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

From instantly-recognizable, Maryland flag-bearers to generic mix-and-match jersey and pants. Maybe I'd feel different if the helmet and pants had any yellow representation.

Why go towards anonymity? I just don't get it. 

• Like 6

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

I’m happy they’re dumping the over done flag stuff, but I wouldn’t have just gone back to the throwback uniform. It looks more like a tribute uniform than a regular look.  

They should used that uniform as the basis for something new, something that closely references that uniform but has a better color distribution and updates the clunky elements. 

• Like 14

13 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I’m happy they’re dumping the over done flag stuff, but I wouldn’t have just gone back to the throwback uniform. It looks more like a tribute uniform than a regular look.  

They should used that uniform as the basis for something new, something that closely references that uniform but has a better color distribution and updates the clunky elements. 

As glad as I am that they pulled the trigger, I don't disagree with this.

EDIT --

After further thought, I also get the case for going full throwback.  The risk with using the throwback as a starting point is getting backlash from people who complaint that you've just created a fauxback and wondering why you didn't go all the way.  There is enough nostalgia for these at Maryland to justify taking the easy route of just replicating the original.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

57 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

14 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I agree with these takes. While I hated a lot about Maryland’s modern branding (flag overkill, how gaudy it was, etc), I liked a lot of other things such as the wordmark and number font, as well as some of the color schemes. Simply going back to the old look feels outdated and makes them look cheap. If Maryland is ready to move past the “in your face” designs and simplify things a bit, they should use the old look as inspiration but start fresh to bring it into the modern era with the new fonts and other touches. With these new throwbacks turned full time uniforms, Maryland looks stuck around 1985 and not in a good way. When they were throwbacks, they were “cool” because they reminded us of a bygone era. They don’t work as well when used in 2023.

• Like 4

I'm in favor of the Terps using the Maryland flag, but strongly opposed to the now former helmets.

If you're going to use the flag, you have to use it as the lacrosse team does: as a graphic pattern more than an actual flag:

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

It does not work when the pattern is split or too large and it looks like two different teams:

390833997.0.png

And it does not work with an airbrush effect (which makes it look like a cheap motorcycle helmet owned by your least favorite neighbor):

c2fd244f706a477070b3ac572be4841f.jpg

rebal_helmet_by_chrisfurguson.jpg?token=

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

7 minutes ago, GFB said:

I'm in favor of the Terps using the Maryland flag, but strongly opposed to the now former helmets.

If you're going to use the flag, you have to use it as the lacrosse team does: as a graphic pattern more than an actual flag:

Or just go back to the [pennant helmets. 

Ranking every Maryland football helmet over the last 20 years - NBC Sports  RSN

That stripe with the M/ribbon on the sides would be a good option too.

Maryland Terrapins Logo, symbol, meaning, history, PNG, brand

• Like 13

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 minute ago, MJWalker45 said:

That stripe with the M/ribbon would be a good option too.

Came here to post the exact same thing. That helmet stripe was perfect to get the flag elements in there but in a subtle way that doesn’t feel gaudy.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Or just go back to the [pennant helmets. 

That stripe with the M/ribbon on the sides would be a good option too.

Maryland Terrapins Logo, symbol, meaning, history, PNG, brand

That should have been what they went for along with a modernish uniform instead of going all the way to a fauxback look.

@MJWalker45 @aawagner011

Exactly right... Even the previous uniforms were pretty fine in my eyes, but they're simply completely overpowered by the monstrosity that is the current helmet.

I will say that the new throwback look has a certain "Rainbow Warriors" quality to them that appeals to the 90s kid in me.

MNK_0904_82.jpg

Screen_Shot_2015-09-10_at_4.48.12_p.m.0.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

they aren't bad uniforms, but I agree with them being an over-correction. 

MJWalker used this image already, but below the neck, this is a good look. If they sorted out the helmet, or used the pennant design again or the banner from the M logo, it would have been a good modern uniform. 

Seven Terps invited to the 2023 NFL Combine | DC News Now

• Like 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

spacer.png

The lack of Yellow, and how it’s only on the sleeve stripe, really makes these “meh”.

The flag was really a big part of the identity.  This is an over correction.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, GFB said:

@MJWalker45 @aawagner011

Exactly right... Even the previous uniforms were pretty fine in my eyes, but they're simply completely overpowered by the monstrosity that is the current helmet.

I will say that the new throwback look has a certain "Rainbow Warriors" quality to them that appeals to the 90s kid in me.

MNK_0904_82.jpg

Screen_Shot_2015-09-10_at_4.48.12_p.m.0.

Rumors ive been hearing is UH going back to the Colt Brenna Era unis. Black/Green at home and Silver/White on the road 

The biggest problem I have with going directly to what UA made is the mesh pattern on the numbers, which don't need to be there. The single gold stripe on the sleeve is actually a fun touch to me, it's a nod to the flag without it being overbearing like it has been previously. As others have said, below the helmet MD had a solid set but I'm tired of the flag everywhere (especially given that half of the flag has connections to Maryland Confederates) and the script look is just a cleaner set.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt