College Football 2023

Rixaroo

1 hour ago, Ringneck75 said:

Kansas is strongly rumored to be changing things up. Rumors are dropping the trajan font and adopting the 1941 Jayhawk "Warhawk."

I don't know if they are moving more toward a look similar to this or not but their coach does like to mix up uniform combinations.

spacer.png

Setting aside the fact that I always wanted KU to adopt the basketball program's old circus font across the rest of their sports...if they were to thin up those block numbers a bit & hold on to that striping pattern (and add it to a set of white pants while keeping their blue pants as is), they'd really be onto something there. There's only so many ways to do royal blue and cherry red--I think that arrangement in that photo does a great job of distinguishing the colors in a way that LA Tech used to perfect.

Now, with all that said: can someone explain to me why those jerseys say "Jayhawk" minus the s? Throwback of some sort??

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

15 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Setting aside the fact that I always wanted KU to adopt the basketball program's old circus font across the rest of their sports...if they were to thin up those block numbers a bit & hold on to that striping pattern (and add it to a set of white pants while keeping their blue pants as is), they'd really be onto something there. There's only so many ways to do royal blue and cherry red--I think that arrangement in that photo does a great job of distinguishing the colors in a way that LA Tech used to perfect.

Now, with all that said: can someone explain to me why those jerseys say "Jayhawk" minus the s? Throwback of some sort??

People always think it's an error but I believe it's a reference to this WWII plane as the uniform was a WWII tribute that was only meant to be worn once.

spacer.png

• Like 3

On 1/10/2023 at 9:37 PM, tBBP said:

The announcement I saw was that they may debut a pre-2014 alternate uniform, not a full-scale change--although I SHO' wouldn't mind if they did bring those back as primaries. (But if they do, they'll have to get back to the former shade of garnet, as well--and we all know Nike prefers its teams in whatever stock textile colors they have on hand, so...)

The comparison I heard was actually Oklahoma State, which...I guess suggests that the tribal pattern stays on the collar? I kind of expect that they're doing what several folks have suggested, and doing a template update and losing the shoulder caps. Would like to see the numbers return to the sleeves, honestly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, radchad said:

Wow. Basically everything Nike did with Cal was bad and/or a garish example of the trends of the times. (Though I was reading through various tweets and saw that someone said the Denver/WVU/swooshy design in 03 was actually Nike's take on Adidas's version from 02? So perhaps characterizing at least the first part of Nike's designs to be as much about trends would be better than just saying they were flat bad on their own.)

That brings me to a related but much broader, general point: I think my least favorite era of uniforms, generally, is the 2000s. There were a lot of designs that I feel like came about simply because the technology existed to execute them. That, coupled with a trend toward adding navy or black to every color palette (or just generally darkening existing colors) and the equipment itself (pads, helmets) being clunky and still overly big, but not in a sturdy, classic 70s/80s kind of way really made football aesthetics in the 2000s bad.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, seasaltvanilla said:

It won't happen because it doesn't stroke PJ Fleck's ego but I would love for the Gophers to go back to this set. Modern classics.

1UFOT0121gal.jpg

As an Iowa fan these are the perfect Minnesota uniforms. While there are a couple of things in their current set I like/don’t mind, these were basically perfect.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, seasaltvanilla said:

It won't happen because it doesn't stroke PJ Fleck's ego but I would love for the Gophers to go back to this set. Modern classics.

1UFOT0121gal.jpg

The way the helmet was maroon fading to black was odd…just regular maroon helmets would be nice. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Not a fan of this, the roughness worked for an old-school style limited capacity logo. 

From a design aspect, yeah sure it's an improve for social media and stuff like that, but as a Husker myself, there really wasn't a need to update or change it this much. And I agree with the sentiment that the older/rougher style fits the vibe a lot better. It may have needed an update, but maybe not this drastic. The new one also feels kinda cliparty, like the helmet doesn't fit the skull that well.

At the end of the day though, I guess I'm just used to the classics. I have a feeling that this one may grow on me a bit.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

19 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The way the helmet was maroon fading to black was odd…just regular maroon helmets would be nice. 

Yeah, the minor changes I would make are having a maroon facemask and cleats and match the sock color to the jersey color. Basically take out all the black. 

greatness-this-close.gif

• Like 2

On 1/11/2023 at 5:54 PM, BJ Sands said:

Is it an unpopular opinion to say these are vastly better than the “classic” set? I also think they should create a pants stripe with the sleeve pattern. It’d really complete the uniform. 

100% agree. I never realized it until I saw an old picture of their last National Title season, and wow I don't even think it is close that the current set is miles better

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 9:41 PM, seasaltvanilla said:

1UFOT0121gal.jpg

Ah, what the Commanders uniforms could have been. I’ll never not dream of a happy medium between this Minnesota set and the current Michigan set.

So simple yet so incredibly magnificent.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2023 at 9:50 PM, WBeltz said:

As an Iowa fan these are the perfect Minnesota uniforms. While there are a couple of things in their current set I like/don’t mind, these were basically perfect.

Wisconsin fan. Same, other than anything referring to PJ himself (aka anything to do with Rowing the effing Boat) should be gone.

• Like 4

It's where I sit.

Well according to the mothership, my Huskers' annual alternate uniform will commemorate the centennial of The Best Place on Earth (aka Memorial Stadium), but this wasn't what I was expecting exactly:

Nebraska To Celebrate 100th Anniversary Of Memorial Stadium With Throwback Uniforms – SportsLogos.Net News

s-l160021.png

2-750x422.png

Now as far as I know, wearing blue isn't necessarily sacrilege (but it is a bit unusual), and there seems a good reason behind its inclusion, but this uniform, or at least the snippets of it, seem pretty safe for the most part. A shame because we had a really nice Memorial tribute set only a few years ago:

University of Nebraska and adidas reveal new 'Memorial Tribute' alternate  uniforms

Not pushing it off yet, I just want to see what the full product looks like. Overall, it seems Adidas is going to be a bit unimaginative across the board next year.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)