College Football 2023

Rixaroo

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2023 at 4:14 PM, 4_tattoos said:

Another off season hoping Maryland finally changes their helmets. 

I would be up for that.

The rest of the uniform is actually fairly subdued.  It's the helmets that push it into "overly garish" territory.

In practices and the spring game they usually(?) wear white helmets with numbers on the side and a Maryland flag stripe.  I would be more than happy with this.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

3 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

Notre Dame announced they're wearing green Sept 23rd against Ohio State

Too bad it's still the crappy blue-numbered green jerseys. I really hate Under Armour and their stupid insistence that all green uniforms across all sports have to have blue numbers/script outlined in gold. It sure would be nice if ND were the next team to announce their departure from UA.

• Like 2

spacer.png

25 minutes ago, burgundy said:

Too bad it's still the crappy blue-numbered green jerseys. I really hate Under Armour and their stupid insistence that all green uniforms across all sports have to have blue numbers/script outlined in gold. It sure would be nice if ND were the next team to announce their departure from UA.

Totally agree, the blue ruins any green uniform they have. The Under Armour deal does end in 2024, I would love to see ND switch to Nike.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, leopard88 said:

I would be up for that.

The rest of the uniform is actually fairly subdued.  It's the helmets that push it into "overly garish" territory.

In practices and the spring game they usually(?) wear white helmets with numbers on the side and a Maryland flag stripe.  I would be more than happy with this.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think I’d be fine with that. Or they pull out the pennat style ones again on a black or white helmet and call it a day

spacer.png

• Like 7

16 hours ago, WBeltz said:

I think I’d be fine with that. Or they pull out the pennat style ones again on a black or white helmet and call it a day

spacer.png

i came here to mention those or

Maryland - HELMET HISTORY

modernize these 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

AmPJ0Ty.png 

9 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Maryland needs get away from the flag heavy stuff and lean in to the turtle. 

Short of Under Armour completely collapsing and getting out of uniforms entirely, I don't see that happening. As long as Kevin Plank still has a flag fetish, Maryland will plaster it all over.

spacer.png

11 hours ago, burgundy said:

Short of Under Armour completely collapsing and getting out of uniforms entirely, I don't see that happening. As long as Kevin Plank still has a flag fetish, Maryland will plaster it all over.

The state flag branding isn't exactly a recent trend for UMD.

Maryland Terrapins Alternate Logo | SPORTS LOGO HISTORY

The use of the flag/banner on uniforms should definitely be toned down, but not completely scrapped. Like mentioned before the football team's uniforms are pretty tame from the neck down. The flag design needs to stop covering the entire helmet. It's never been a good look.

• Like 3

Hotter Than July > Thriller

On 3/17/2023 at 5:07 PM, WestCoastBias said:

Totally agree, the blue ruins any green uniform they have. The Under Armour deal does end in 2024, I would love to see ND switch to Nike.

Nike would treat them like a big school, much like they do with OSU and Bama.

i wouldn’t be against seeing adidas again, since they’ve done better recently, but they still got some fixing up to do.

Other than those two, there’s not too many others who could take them. Maybe New Balance but that seems like a stretch

Seems like it would make sense for Maryland to wear black helmets, the current red M outlined in yellow on either side, and the current flag strip as the center helmet stripe. Red or black facemask would work. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

36 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

The state flag branding isn't exactly a recent trend for UMD.

Maryland Terrapins Alternate Logo | SPORTS LOGO HISTORY

The use of the flag/banner on uniforms should definitely be toned down, but not completely scrapped. Like mentioned before the football team's uniforms are pretty tame from the neck down. The flag design needs to stop covering the entire helmet. It's never been a good look.

At least that logo has Testudo holding the flag. They haven't used a logo with Testudo since 2012, and the turtle shell helmets were back in 2011. A whole decade of nothing but flag imagery across all their sports. They may as well be the Maryland Marylanders at this point. They've been so focused on the state's unique flag that they've forgotten about the school mascot that is also incredibly unique.

• Like 1

spacer.png

On 2/25/2023 at 4:14 PM, 4_tattoos said:

Another off season hoping Maryland finally changes their helmets. 

I hope not. That *is* Maryland to me. The only change I'd hope to see is for the flag to cover the entire helmet. The back of it looks odd after they stopped painting MARYLAND across the back.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, burgundy said:

At least that logo has Testudo holding the flag. They haven't used a logo with Testudo since 2012, and the turtle shell helmets were back in 2011. A whole decade of nothing but flag imagery across all their sports. They may as well be the Maryland Marylanders at this point. They've been so focused on the state's unique flag that they've forgotten about the school mascot that is also incredibly unique.

By virtue of being from Maryland I've blindly supported their athletic programs my entire life because, homer. With that being said, Testudo is a lame mascot in every form. And this is coming from a guy the was a Ninja Turtles fan growing up. Give me state flags, banners and the letter M any time over the Terrapin.

SN: The turtle shell helmets were nothing special. Just made they look like they were wearing gray helmets.

1 hour ago, AndrewMLind said:

I hope not. That *is* Maryland to me. The only change I'd hope to see is for the flag to cover the entire helmet. The back of it looks odd after they stopped painting MARYLAND across the back.

Did you only become aware of their football program in the 2010s? Because they've had other (IMO superior) helmets prior to that.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

If they have to cover their entire helmet with a flag design (and let's be clear, they don't have to... despite how it looks when you channel surf on Saturday afternoons on the fall, ugly design is not some sort of CFB mandate) the current wavy flag design is the worst. Like a cross between a cheesy stoner van and a back-up hockey goalie. The best of the full-helmet flag designs was the first one... much more graphic and clean.

spacer.png

The uniform that went with it was terrible, but the helmets beats the current nightmare. Of course, that's not saying much. If you insist on using the flag in some form, but are willing to get away from the full covering, this is your best option;

spacer.png

Or the black version;

spacer.png

But, check out this beaut from 1970...

spacer.png

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

But, check out this beaut from 1970...

spacer.png

I applaud Maryland for going through so many iterations of their uniforms combining red, white, black, and gold. And I am generally on the side of using the flag motif, as they are the flagship state university (so why not) and Maryland's flag is memorable and popular. But the helmet design shown above highlights something that I think Maryland has done fairly well when they've employed it: using two pairs of colors somewhat separately and in parallel.

spacer.png

This is the ideal example of this concept: black and gold elements on the helmet and pants, red and white on the jersey (and if they had socks, red and white could carry to the socks as well). I really like this tandem approach. It employs all four colors without becoming overly busy (e.g. multiple outlines on the numbers just to fit three of the four colors in, etc.).

My ideal Maryland uniform would employ the state flag imagery, the general idea of running these color pairs in tandem, and the Terps script. (Typing all that makes me realize how dumb the idea sounds, but I think execution works):

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

16 minutes ago, ssj_homeslice said:

I think I'm in the minority when it comes to the terps using the flag motif on the helmets. I really love it actually, it's uniquely theirs and i think they own the look. 

I don't like the texture or the Maryland across the back. I agree with the various superior ways presented in this thread for owning the flag motif.

And that's all well and good but also...

FBTerpsScript_1920_Left1-750x422.jpeg&f=

• Like 7