College Football 2023

Rixaroo

12 hours ago, radchad said:

New field for Cal:

https://twitter.com/avinashkunnath/status/1624523543273943040?s=20

Gold endzones will take some getting used to, but looks like the fonts and scripts from the UA logo package will be staying, which is incredible news.

I'm hoping the whole set just transfers over, but I'm sure Nike will change up something.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I missed this, but apparently Kentucky ran a Super Bowl commercial in local markets that teased new uniforms. If you watch the last 10-20 seconds you’ll see them here.

Of note: much simpler design on the new Nike template with the Kentucky chest wordmark, wildcat design on the sleeves, gray outline on numbers, simple double stripe on pants, standard helmets with contrasting facemasks, tonal checkerboard on the collar. No signs of black, anthracite, or chrome at this point.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

I missed this, but apparently Kentucky ran a Super Bowl commercial in local markets that teased new uniforms. If you watch the last 10-20 seconds you’ll see them here.

Of note: much simpler design on the new Nike template with the Kentucky chest wordmark, wildcat design on the sleeves, gray outline on numbers, simple double stripe on pants, standard helmets with contrasting facemasks, tonal checkerboard on the collar. No signs of black, anthracite, or chrome at this point.

Sounds good. Too bad we know anthracite will probably still be in the rotation, but getting rid of the Secretariat sleeves is the best part of that move. I saw some mockups of the leaks on Instagram so if they go by what I saw, they should be in good shape uniform wise. 

• Like 8

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Really like that look for Kentucky. The subtle checker pattern in the collar seems like it works really well. Super glad to see simpler pants striping and no gimmicky shoehorned colors. Not a huge fan of their Wildcat logo, but it works fine on the sleeve caps. Interesting to see Kentucky of all schools being among the first to switch to the Vapor Fusion template.

• Like 2

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

1 hour ago, PERRIN said:

Really like that look for Kentucky. The subtle checker pattern in the collar seems like it works really well. Super glad to see simpler pants striping and no gimmicky shoehorned colors. Not a huge fan of their Wildcat logo, but it works fine on the sleeve caps. Interesting to see Kentucky of all schools being among the first to switch to the Vapor Fusion template.

I think you'll see most of the big Nike schools switching over this year. The only reason TCU didn't switch over is the amount of time required to apply the yoke patterns on their uniforms. Ohio State, Georgia and Michigan don't have those issues. Tennessee has been wanting to jump on these for years. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The three blue horizontal stripes in the video almost seemed like a change/homage to the Hal Mumme days...but glad they went with fewer stripes. The helmets with contrasting facemasks are a good look. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Kentucky looks to be consolidating their looks.  They dumped the checkerboard on the basketball uniforms this year and looks to be doing the same with the football uniforms.  The striping pattern on the pants looks reminiscent of the stripes on the new basketball as well.  With that said, the basketball team has done two things this year that makes me wonder if we'll see similar:

1.  They've leaned heavily into some retro uniforms.  Could UK bring back the Power K throw backs to, say, the Tim Couch era?

2.  They also brought out black uniforms.  Expect the football team to do the same.

As a UK fan, I also expect a chrome dome somewhere.  I don't like it (I hate them) but they've got a lot of "lore" around them being worn in the Citrus Bowl twice in 5 years, and being apart of some of the bigger wins so I cannot imagine they'll dump them fully.  They're the "big game look"...I doubt they'll be gone.  At the very least I hope they go away from the gray chrome to a blue chrome; it's not a great look still, but it'll beat the silver/white combo they have been keen on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pokecat12 said:

On the UK subject, If they would bring back for one game, the 82-89 UK uniforms, with the Power K helmet, i would buy that in a heartbeat. That is what a lot of us old UK fans would die for.

I know you'd love that! When I first seen the double stripe on the pants, I immediately thought about those uniforms.  To be honest, I am stoked the pants have stripes...I was scared if they ever changed they would've went plain. 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

spacer.png

10 hours ago, Lights Out said:

If I didn't know better, I'd wonder why BYU was wearing the letter K on their helmets.

I know the checkerboard era has been divisive for Kentucky fans, but it's been a net positive for their football program, which finally has a look to call their own.

That's actually funny. I swear when I was younger and was watching BYU my dad would always ask me why I'm watching Yale. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Lights Out said:

If I didn't know better, I'd wonder why BYU was wearing the letter K on their helmets.

I know the checkerboard era has been divisive for Kentucky fans, but it's been a net positive for their football program, which finally has a look to call their own.

they just needed to tone it back or make it much more subtle

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I never hated the checkerboard look, but I think it's gone from the UK aesthetic for a while (maybe for good).  I think on it's own it's a good look, but I understand the idea that the checkerboard is also a UT thing, who happens to be one of the larger UK rivals making it wonky.  The Power K definitely looks like BYU-East now that you mention it, though.  

I won't be mad with a little more simple look coming out of this rebrand though.  I think the basketball team looks better without the racing stripe checkerboards and I think the football team can put forth a really classy look, especially if they dump the chrome. In theory the black set might be acceptable if left to a single game, and paired with an all black look for a "special" night game (I won't love it, but there's no fighting it's coming, either), but sadly I know they'll go something bad like Black-Blue-Blue once or twice a year, too.

13 hours ago, mjarvie said:

That's actually funny. I swear when I was younger and was watching BYU my dad would always ask me why I'm watching Yale. 

I noticed when Coach Claiborne took over in 82 that the colors were lightened and the unis resembled the BYU unis. Before that it was a darker royal blue. The stripes on the jerseys matched up. BYU was pretty good back then, maybe he was changing to mojo of the Cats.

PersonDivided-2-1.png