2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

To get back on thread,

I could see the Ducks coming out with a new anniversary jersey as an alternate for this year. The 25th anniversary one was pretty well received and the write up for the jersey ad says

introducing the addition of the Western National Property Management patch on the Ducks' black home and alternate jerseys.

Is it supposed to read as "black" being applied to both the home and alternate jerseys or is it two separate statements "black home" and "alternate"? If the latter is the case, why specify the colour of the home jersey and not the alternate? All it could end up being is just a grammatical issue but it's still interesting wording.

I saw some comments online that STH's got an email saying some more 30th anniversary announcements are going to be made at the draft party.

IbjBaeE.png

2 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I saw some comments online that STH's got an email saying some more 30th anniversary announcements are going to be made at the draft party.

It'd probably be best to wait until then - I just hope the anniversary jersey sticks with a more "cohesive" aesthetic than the previous one.

9 hours ago, BuckDancer said:

Heterosexuality is adaptive. It is our evolutionary match. Homosexuality is not, It is a marker of civilizational declension. Read John Glubbs essay The Fate of Empires where he explains that all empires/civilizations follow almost the exact same blueprint when they enter the period of decline in their civilizational cycle. These same markers almost always become prominent with few exceptions. 

Just saw two women holding hands. It’s over. The west has fallen.

B2DwB2Y_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

• Like 5
  • LOL 10
  • Yawn 3

12 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Is it supposed to read as "black" being applied to both the home and alternate jerseys or is it two separate statements "black home" and "alternate"? If the latter is the case, why specify the colour of the home jersey and not the alternate? All it could end up being is just a grammatical issue but it's still interesting wording.

The 25th anniversary jersey had a black base, so I doubt it means the alt unless they're just recycling the exact jersey they used last anniversary. Most likely, it's just referring to the home jersey.

And if said anniversary alternate is an eggplant purple throwback like they did for the 20th, then specifying the color of the home jersey might make more sense.

19 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

Ok. I mean, you can say that, but sexuality is literally the only thing that makes the LGBTQ community a community. Just because you spin it into  "acknowledging a group that’s historically been vilified" doesn't mean it isn't about sexuality. It's literally 100000% about sexuality. If it wasn't, there would be no group to acknowledge 😂

Just like if there weren't different races, there would be no reason to celebrate the great Jackie Robinson. That celebration is 100% about race. 

Race issues - a good lesson for children

People's sexual activities - your free to do what you want, but doesn't really need to be a topic at a Blue Jackets and Red Wings game

This is kinda backwards though. The fact that certain sexualities have been villified is what led to the various movements for sexual liberation. Hence heterosexuals having no community beyond those that choose to villify homosexuals, etc. as an out group. If not for the vilification, the way we label sexuality and the art & culture that have derived from it would be entirely different. There would be no need for "pride."

Race is only a "good lesson for children" because they should be aware of the history of racism. Given that, I'm not sure what separates it from Pride nights, as the history of homophobia & transphobia is also a good lesson for children. Especially given that sexuality is directly related to families and it makes no sense to keep children away from concepts like "two daddies" and "two mommies." 

We can debate the merits of honoring the military at sporting events, but I don't think it would hold any water to ban them on the basis that war is innappropriate for children.

• Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Yawn 1

On 6/16/2023 at 5:07 AM, Cujo said:

Not even close!

Capitals rode power-play success, shot blocking to Stanley Cup

I don't find these ugly. Not my favs, but they're far from ugly. I think the script is decent. Yes I'd rather they had a 'logo', but the Rangers don't, so it's not unprecedented. I think they've been using this for long enough that it has a fair amount of equity, along with the original wordmark version. It'll probably go pretty soon, but it was a period in time that I think it was a legitimate design.

• Like 2

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

The Caps are one in which I think the logo is far worse than the uniform itself; that’s not to say the uniform is great by any means, as it’s still an outdated Edge product. But if the Weagle or the recolored 90’s eagle were on the chest instead, I think it’d be at least passable. 

The “capiLals” logo and the original that inspired it are both really bad. Bad enough to sink any uniform they’d adorn, really.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

The Caps are one in which I think the logo is far worse than the uniform itself; that’s not to say the uniform is great by any means, as it’s still an outdated Edge product. But if the Weagle or the recolored 90’s eagle were on the chest instead, I think it’d be at least passable. 

The “capiLals” logo and the original that inspired it are both really bad. Bad enough to sink any uniform they’d adorn, really.

Disagree,  the script combined with the stars are great.

The waste stripes, the shoulders........... this is a good hockey uniform, and very unique as well!

-

spacer.png-

-

spacer.png

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, adsarebad said:

20 years ago.... the NHL went to dark jerseys for the home team, white for the visitor.  😢

A date which will live in infamy ..

No need to be hyperbolic. Some teams have better white jerseys than dark jerseys and vice versa.  I could live with a switch up sure, but it doesn't bother me all that much.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

nice to see different colors every home game. For example if your team is hosting the Maple Leafs and then the Red Wings, it’s a visually different experience to see blue in one game and red in the next. As it is, you’re always seeing the same colors at home.😴

• Like 2
  • Yawn 3

The post even shakes up the monotony by being in grey italic on black. That doesn't come to town every day!

I'm still in favor of white at home as well: the color white generally symbolizes good, and a dark base for the road team makes them look like even more of a foreign body on the rink with the white and team colors coming together at home. The road team was in even sharper relief in NBA games: picture the Bulls in white with some red and black on a court with some red and black and fans wearing some red and black, and then the visiting Boston Celtics wearing kelly green.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The NHL will never go back to white at home unless they completely drop alternate jerseys, because teams wanting to wear dark alts at home literally caused the switch back to begin with. Plus it just makes things easier on equipment managers to only need to track one set of equipment on road games and road trips.

And historically, color at home is the norm for the NHL, not white. They only switched to white at home in 1970, after having worn color at home since 1955.

• Like 7

Yeah, but no one cares. The NHL in 1955 was less a league than it was Jim Norris's traveling ice show. The post-expansion, post-merger NHL that actually meant anything to anyone was white at home, so of course people are attached to that.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, adsarebad said:

Disagree,  the script combined with the stars are great.

The waste stripes, the shoulders........... this is a good hockey uniform, and very unique as well!

spacer.png

I like the multi-coloured stars and the striping is passable but that logo is even worse than the current version.  Hockey is the only major sport where teams put their logo on the front of their uniforms and that's what makes them special.  I don't want to read your jersey.  This is why the Screagle wins the honor of best Capitals (primary) logo by default.