2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

17 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

The WHA jersey is their official third jersey, fairly sure. This is just a specialty design they're wearing this season.

Yeah, they're only wearing "the 48" 3 times this season. Whereas the WHA heritage jersey will be worn closer to 10 times.

I don't mind "the 48" but it's one of those jerseys that will be on a clearance rack next season. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

On 9/23/2023 at 1:43 PM, lordsketor said:

I was surprised to see how negative the reaction to these has been on the mainstream channels. I’ve even seen a few comments claiming it’s the worst jersey of all time. 

It’s not perfect, but it’s a solid fauxback. I think it’d be better if the silver outline around the logo was white instead. 

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I was surprised to see how negative the reaction to these has been on the mainstream channels. I’ve even seen a few comments claiming it’s the worst jersey of all time. 

It’s not perfect, but it’s a solid fauxback. I think it’d be better if the silver outline around the logo was white instead of silver. 

It's probably because of how obsessed a lot of people on said mainstream channels are these days about how "clean" or "fresh" a uniform is or whatever. It leads to a lot of uniforms that tend to blend together because teams keep chasing whatever's considered "clean" or "fresh" at the moment.

Given the occasion (the RCAF centennial), I think the Jets doing this is actually really smart. Their logo is literally just a modified RCAF roundel, after all; they've always had a tie to the military, so they're really the only Canadian team suited for this kind of homage.

And Ottawa wasn't going to do it anyways, considering it doesn't fit their brand at all and Sens fans would've rioted if they brought out their first non-RR alternate since the rebrand and it wasn't either a laurel alt jersey revival or some variant of the O design.

9 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

I'm surprised it took this long for the Jets to use the RCAF jersey with their logo on it. The Manitoba Moose wore that powder blue heritage jersey a while back.

This was the 2008 Moose tribute to the 1948 RCAF team that was cited as the inspiration for what was unveiled on Saturday:

spacer.png

Then more recently the Moose used this tribute:

spacer.png

So overall this look is pretty familiar to hockey fans in Winnipeg.

• Like 4

The Ducks can use 90s "fad colours" because they're a 90s team. 90s fads are part of their history. They should look like a team that was founded in the early 90s. Just like how the Sharks should use a brighter teal and the Panthers should go back to athletic gold instead of the flat vegas.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2

Neither/nor, it's time to forget about jade and eggplant, forget about black and beige, and go with the dark green and orange that they should have gone with in 2006. I normally don't advocate for team color changes but this Ducks situation is really bad!

• Like 1
  • Hurl 2
  • Dislike 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Neither/nor, it's time to forget about jade and eggplant, forget about black and beige, and go with the dark green and orange that they should have gone with in 2006. I normally don't advocate for team color changes but this Ducks situation is really bad!

Just throw a third identity on the pile? That'll make no one happy. 

• Like 7

IbjBaeE.png

Got our first look at the Bruins centennial jerseys on the ice on Sunday, and it went exactly as I expected it would. In still images, these uniforms look really good. The gold pops nicely, and it clearly looks like the Bruins despite the differences. On TV, though, the gold gets super washed out and it looks more like a franchise whose colors are black and silver than black and yellow. This is one of the issues unique to hockey, too. Football, baseball, and basketball are played on a backdrop with a more neutral brightness, while hockey is on a white background that washes out colors on TV. So, when you swap out yellow for metallic gold on small stripes, it really makes a difference. 

The new logo at center ice does look awesome, though. But why is the centennial logo only on one of the shoulders? 

Bruins notebook: What we learned in first preseason game of 2023 season

Brandon Bussi sits on the ice in his crease as he watches a puck spin away from the net as Reilly Walsh looks on.Matthew Poitras shouts as he hugs Reilly Walsh after scoring a power-play goal in the preseason opener vs. the Rangers.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

The Bruins' centennial uniforms reinforce how important the yellow shoulder yolk is to the regular look

I don't think yellow shoulders are necessarily the make or break factor, there just needs to be yellow somewhere. It could be in the socks -- this is my favorite Bruins look:

spacer.png

• Like 8
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, ruttep said:

I don't think yellow shoulders are necessarily the make or break factor, there just needs to be yellow somewhere. It could be in the socks -- this is my favorite Bruins look:

spacer.png

This uniform, with shoulder yoke and current primary logos, with last years shoulder crests...  PERFECTION!!!  Oh, and all in a dark brown, not black!  PERFECTION!!!

• Like 1

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

9 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

Got our first look at the Bruins centennial jerseys on the ice on Sunday, and it went exactly as I expected it would. In still images, these uniforms look really good. The gold pops nicely, and it clearly looks like the Bruins despite the differences. On TV, though, the gold gets super washed out and it looks more like a franchise whose colors are black and silver than black and yellow. This is one of the issues unique to hockey, too. Football, baseball, and basketball are played on a backdrop with a more neutral brightness, while hockey is on a white background that washes out colors on TV. So, when you swap out yellow for metallic gold on small stripes, it really makes a difference. 

The new logo at center ice does look awesome, though. But why is the centennial logo only on one of the shoulders? 

Bruins notebook: What we learned in first preseason game of 2023 season

Brandon Bussi sits on the ice in his crease as he watches a puck spin away from the net as Reilly Walsh looks on.Matthew Poitras shouts as he hugs Reilly Walsh after scoring a power-play goal in the preseason opener vs. the Rangers.

It's a fine uniform and I love the new logo, but that gold being somewhere between flat and metallic just throws the whole thing off for me. I get why they thought a metallic touch to the gold would be a cool tie-in for the Centennial Anniversary, but it's not right for the Bruins.

spacer.png

The Bruins here look more like what I thought the Penguins should look like (black and white with some yellow as opposed to Boston's black and yellow with some white). The yellow yokes and socks do indeed matter a lot.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

34 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

The Oilers and Flames have unveiled their Heritage Classic uniforms.

Honestly really like both. People are dunking on the Oilers sweater, but it's perfectly in-line with the Mercurys jersey it's based on, as are the Flames with theirs. It's an incredibly fun throwback that lets the Oilers put a very vintage spin on their own identity instead of, say, just mildly changing a jersey they already have or something lame.

Like, maybe the tan pants are a little weird...but it's a Heritage Classic, it fits the general vintage motif they're aiming for. Besides, it's a look the Oilers have never done before.

And like, I legit do not know what else people expected; we knew this was what we were getting as soon as the logos leaked. It's not a surprise that the team clearly using the Mercurys logo as inspiration...would use a Mercurys-based jersey design.

On 9/23/2023 at 4:13 PM, ruttep said:

Anyone know if the new Winnipeg jersey is a special jersey or the official alternate? Is the current throwback alternate sticking around?

They are a special jersey and will only be worn 3 times during the season. 

Dec. 4th vs. Carolina for Military Appreciation night

Jan. 27th vs. Toronto

Apr. 1st vs. Los Angeles for the RCAF's official 100th Anniversary

Their Heritage Blue jersey will be worn 11 times this season.