2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

6 hours ago, Nordiks_19 said:

Fans have been calling for the Ducks to return to those colors for like 15 years now. There is only 3 explanations as to why it never happened :

1 : The Samuellis are too stubborn to consider it

2 : The marketing team are complete morons to acknowledge the money value in those jerseys

3 : The Samuellis don't give an F of what the fans want.

As a Ducks fan, it's a big no to all three of those things, especially because they have been permanently selling plenty of retro merchandize for at least the last decade. It also hasn't been 15 years either, it's a much more recent phenomenon.

The real answer is that the Mighty Ducks brand and colours are so tied into an ownership group in a way that has never been seen before in sports that made it very understandable the new owners would want to separate from said previous owners. Then after the switch was made, the team immediately won the Stanley Cup and shortly there after entered the best period in team history.  The Anaheim Ducks have way more success and years (18 to 13, lockout included) than the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.

• Like 4
  • Yawn 1

IbjBaeE.png

16 hours ago, monkeypower said:

As a Ducks fan, it's a big no to all three of those things, especially because they have been permanently selling plenty of retro merchandize for at least the last decade. It also hasn't been 15 years either, it's a much more recent phenomenon.

The real answer is that the Mighty Ducks brand and colours are so tied into an ownership group in a way that has never been seen before in sports that made it very understandable the new owners would want to separate from said previous owners. Then after the switch was made, the team immediately won the Stanley Cup and shortly there after entered the best period in team history.  The Anaheim Ducks have way more success and years (18 to 13, lockout included) than the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.

Plus, as you said...they make a killing on throwback merch without having to switch at all. Why remove an easy source of free revenue?

The only way I think they rebrand back to looking more like the Mighty Ducks is if they include orange instead of one of the other colors (probably silver, given how otherwise superfluous it is on the jerseys) and change the jersey design a bit so that they can still hock throwback merch.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Canucks unveil chrome blue helmets

https://x.com/Canucks/status/1749886533484826976?s=20

That trend needs to die yesterday. Any design that draws all the attention to the helmet (I'd argue the chrome even draws it away from the game) is simply not a good design. Especially when one of the main complaints from new fans is how it's hard for them to follow plays and follow the puck.

• Like 9

I'll have to wait and see how the Canucks chrome helmets looks with the actual uniforms, but they might not be the complete cluster:censored: I thought they might be.  It should look better than Vegas and LA since it's at least the same colour as the uniforms.  Still think it's a trend that needs to go away.

• Like 1

Chrome helmets seem to be in the same category as color helmets on the road and monochrome uniforms in the NFL where it's the cool new fad, and if you don't like it then your an old head who doesn't like fun. The fans of chrome helmets seem to relish in the fact that people hate how it looks.

• Like 3

I think that the only chrome helmet setup that even kinda works is LA, and those would still look 100x better if they were simply a metallic sliver finish.

I'd much prefer more teams to try a matte finish like what the Coyotes opted into with their third jerseys. Would fit most teams' jerseys better and still adds a really nice elevated touch to the uniform

GAZCYjgbcAArJnf.jpg

• Like 13

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, henburg said:

I think that the only chrome helmet setup that even kinda works is LA, and those would still look 100x better if they were simply a metallic sliver finish.

I'd much prefer more teams to try a matte finish like what the Coyotes opted into with their third jerseys. Would fit most teams' jerseys better and still adds a really nice elevated touch to the uniform

GAZCYjgbcAArJnf.jpg

Yeah - to echo this, I’m gonna guess that a metallic blue helmet for the Canucks (like NY Giants metallic blue) would look better than chrome. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Getting really tired of gimmicky design elements that do nothing to improve the quality of uniforms.  Things like...

- Hollowed out numbers
Looks tacky.  Like something you'd find on a cheap fashion jersey.

- Stealth Striping

Why would you go out of your way to make one of the most important aspects of a uniform invisible on the ice.  Asinine.

- Hanger effects
Why is so much time and energy dedicated to something you'll never see on the ice. 

-Metallic Helmets
Not a single instance of  them has looked passable let alone good.  This trend needs to die yesterday.

-Oversized Sleeve Numbers

Maybe you could justify them for Stadium Series uniforms but they should not be on uniforms in regular rotation.  Looking at you Philly.

-Sublimated Sleeve Patterns

They contribute nothing to the quality of the design.  Both Calgary and Vancouver's alternates would look cleaner without them.

-Reversible Jerseys

Easily the stupidest gimmick yet.  If there was ever a uniform to sum up everything wrong with NHL jersey design today, it's Toronto's alt. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

2 hours ago, henburg said:

GAZCYjgbcAArJnf.jpg

This might be a weird personal taste, but I dislike the matte finish much more than a chrome finish.  Still prefer the standard glossy.  In hockey the helmet shouldn't be a design element. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, infernoqueso said:

This might be a weird personal taste, but I dislike the matte finish much more than a chrome finish.  Still prefer the standard glossy.  In hockey the helmet shouldn't be a design element. 

At least matte doesn't distract your eyes from everything else going on in the hockey game

• Like 3

4 hours ago, henburg said:

GAZCYjgbcAArJnf.jpg

Their sponsor is Goodwill? Dear Lord the perfect sponsor for a team who takes everyone's unwanted crap. 

• LOL 7

20 hours ago, ruttep said:

That trend needs to die yesterday. Any design that draws all the attention to the helmet (I'd argue the chrome even draws it away from the game) is simply not a good design. Especially when one of the main complaints from new fans is how it's hard for them to follow plays and follow the puck.

they needed to die when the x-ray helmets came out