2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

1 hour ago, DJT said:

is this supposed to be black on black for the jazz? Kinda looks like a weird blue for the font. 

Yeah it’s black on black. Every draft hat has the wordmark in thread that matches the hat color. Other black hats (Heat, Blazers, Magic) have the same black outlines. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

Was originally posted on reddit then they QRTd it. But this would be cool if rebrand or City. @Conrad. Can you confirm if full rebrand or one off (city)??

https://twitter.com/PacersUniTrackr/status/1666894898191114240?t=zGsUlu0kvvgVYuOoUCyIWg&s=19

Tweet says black, but tag says charcoal. Gotta be a city edition or just the shirt color not the jersey. Departing from navy with their main look would be mighty wild.

7 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

Was originally posted on reddit but saw it on PACERS Uniform Tracker twitter.

New Pacers City tshirt jersey!

Still trying to figure the font for numbers and wordmark. 

spacer.png

thats a '47 Brand template shirt. not related to on-court merch at all. carry on.

• Like 13

On 6/8/2023 at 7:25 AM, WSU151 said:

purple or black

My fortune's not GETTING any bigger, it's just THAT amount of money that gets smaller till I die

• LOL 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 6/8/2023 at 7:50 AM, projectjohn said:

The Pistons posted this on their social media yesterday. I'm presuming it might be a hint at their City Edition for next season being Motown themed.

Seems a bit early for an unveiling what with the Finals still in progress and the fact the Pistons have never unveiled a City Edition until the league-wide drop by Nike which usually takes place in early November.

Looks like it's just a merch line on their Team Store for now, similar to the "Martin" stuff they put out a year or two ago.

• Like 1

questionable move to wear those jerseys on the greatest day for their franchise. i mean it’s a good looking jersey that could even pass as a rotational jersey.

with that being said though, they created this new uniform set just a couple years ago and spent most of their time contending in them. it just kinda irks me that it was all topped off by a jersey that probably won’t even return next year. and even if it does, it still doesn’t balance out how much they done in their regular jerseys leading up to this. when i think of the 2x mvp jokic i instantly think of him in the jerseys with the wishbone collars and the mountains on the shorts. 

so close to a picture perfect finals finale

• Like 3

I’ve said this before, but I just never thought powder blue and gold looked right on the Nuggets at all. I thought it was far too light and “sunny” for them. If they played in San Diego? Perfect. But for Denver? It just didn’t work for me.

This is not to say what they’re wearing now works either, but I don’t think I’d have been any more excited if they’d won in powder blue last night.

• Like 3

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, GriffinM6 said:

I actually am glad Denver won wearing those uniforms. Their current primary look is very forgettable IMO. I love the collar design and color balance on the city uniforms. 

For what I have to say about it, their entire identity, save for the typeface of their *primary* uniforms, is about as forgettable as it gets. That said, those 2023 city sets are probably a decent base to build from—or would be if either the Nuggets organization or the NBA/Nike cared anything about building/preserving brand equity.

Anyway, I've never really paid much mind to the City sets to know what was going on with them, so I went back and looked again at their "story" and, well...

Spoiler

The Denver Nuggets 22-23 City Edition uniform is inspired by our hometown of Denver which continues to evolve and change: a city proud of its past but always driving forward. This uniform derives its design from the city’s iconic architecture including Union Station. The Nuggets will dedicate this season’s City Edition uniform to recognize civic organizations that contribute to making our city an even better place to call home.

Elements of Union Station are embodied in this season’s City Edition uniform. “Denver” displayed on the chest, represents the iconic “Union Station” font and arc. The uniform color of pure platinum and unique burgundy side trim on the jersey and shorts is inspired by the color and design of Union Station’s stonework. Lastly, the strings of lights that adorn many restaurants and streets in our fair city are reflected in the burgundy trim that includes gold dots on the collar and arm trim of the jersey. 

This season, every time the Nuggets wear their 2022-23 City Edition uniform, Kroenke Sports Charities Signature Community Partners will be honored.  Each of these organizations works to provide Colorado citizens with opportunities to use sports as a platform to enhance education, recreation, inclusion, and fitness. Please see below the Nuggets 2022-23 City Edition schedule and community partners to who we will pay tribute.

First of all, teams/organizations throw the word "iconic" around WAY too much. I've been to Denver's Union Station several times and I don't think even Denverites think of that signage as "iconic". That said, regarding the actual inspiration, let's let the pictorial comparison do the talking here:

9.20.22_Nuggets_Ellwood_274.jpg

9.20.22_Nuggets_Ellwood_301.jpg

9.20.22_Nuggets_Ellwood_264.jpg

travel-by-train.jpg?w=1200&h=-1&s=1

I'd say that's a pretty great match...specifically in how the gradient effect of the side panels mimics both the color and the lighting effects on the brick facades of Union Station as pictured above.

Now, I want someone to explain that random black swatch off-centered to the right on that waistband...and that little random "NUGGETS" wordmark on the side panels is completely unnecessary (and yet a recent hallmark of Nike "modern" design language—reference the same type of thing on the new Cardinals uniforms). That to the side, it seems as if this set's design inspiration was based around and extrapolated from the railroad station itself/railroads in general...which I can actually get with considering the history of gold mining (or any kind of mining for that matter) involving rail cars. I like the overall idea, and if they were to base a new *primary* set on this idea, with the current *primary* font and a navy/dark blue base with the same burgundy trim—which by the way would sync nicely with the Avalanche, by the way—I think the Nuggets might be close to establishing a present-day (ahem *cough*) "iconic" and at any rate distinguishing look of their own.

• Like 7

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I’ve said this before, but I just never thought powder blue and gold looked right on the Nuggets at all. I thought it was far too light and “sunny” for them. If they played in San Diego? Perfect. But for Denver? It just didn’t work for me.

This is not to say what they’re wearing now works either, but I don’t think I’d have been any more excited if they’d won in powder blue last night.

I'll have to dig up the source, but I'm pretty sure the reason why they went with powder blue and gold was because Kiki Vandeweghe (the GM or something at the time) went to UCLA.

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin