2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

16 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Yeah the NBA doesn’t allow teams to go back to old unis full time. 

With all of the other uniform rules basically out the window at this point, this one should be too. But they have to protect that Hardwood Classics merchandise line, I suppose.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

This is evidence that the Barkley-era unis were ahead of their time and the best this franchise has ever looked. Wearing them as occasional throwbacks doesn't feel sufficient enough. But every attempt at evoking parts of that look fall flat.

fP4Bed6.png

You just know they're going to :censored: this up.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

13 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The numbers being used are the Cavaliers old numbers.

They're not.  Similar, but definite differences.

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

They're not.  Similar, but definite differences.

I think it was a case of them starting with the Cavs font and making some small tweaks to the forms to at least attempt to differentiate them a bit. It’s not the Cavs font, but it’s certainly derived from it.

• Like 3

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

I think it was a case of them starting with the Cavs font and making some small tweaks to the forms to at least attempt to differentiate them a bit. It’s not the Cavs font, but it’s certainly derived from it.

No ... the numbers originate from the 2013 change, but when the current set was introduced in 2017 the numbers were un-italicized. They're similar in the sense they're sad attempts at modernization, but they're not similar in any regard past that.

9134d7ca49ef91c75a6df75f41f9b3a8224ec91b

79580cce5d18d389edc6a66accc2daea2d6f5f5c

6ab93bf309ced43a2e97fc2bbca4efc76fa938a5

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

30 minutes ago, kimball said:

No ... the numbers originate from the 2013 change, but when the current set was introduced in 2017 the numbers were un-italicized. They're similar in the sense they're sad attempts at modernization, but they're not similar in any regard past that.

@Old School Fool was referring to the number font on the leaked prototype Suns uniforms (which may or may not become a reality). That’s what I was referring to as well. 

Cavs number font:

spacer.png

Suns prototype number font:

spacer.png

The latter certainly seems to have been derived from the Cavs’ font.

• Like 6

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

We've covered that HWC is keeping teams from adopting throwbacks full time, but can they shoot down any new designs for being too similar to throwbacks?

Part of me wonders if the new sunbursts are white/purple as to avoid looking too similar to throwbacks. Orange sunbursts seem like an obvious decision, but may spark pushback from HWC for looking too close to the throwbacks. This is all speculation though - it's entirely possible that a pro sports team could see a seemingly obvious decision for their uniforms and decide to ignore it. 

3 hours ago, fortunat1 said:

We've covered that HWC is keeping teams from adopting throwbacks full time, but can they shoot down any new designs for being too similar to throwbacks?

Part of me wonders if the new sunbursts are white/purple as to avoid looking too similar to throwbacks. Orange sunbursts seem like an obvious decision, but may spark pushback from HWC for looking too close to the throwbacks. This is all speculation though - it's entirely possible that a pro sports team could see a seemingly obvious decision for their uniforms and decide to ignore it. 

Seems like proximity to the HWCs isn’t an issue…the Pistons’ 2002 unis were just a font change from the 80s/90s classic set. The Jazz brought back an old logo and used navy instead of purple. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

10 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

35th anniversary logo

spacer.png

This feels like "The Heat had a 35th logo...um...whoops...we should probably do one too...".  Nice logo though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Special Hornets jersey has error 😄🤦‍♂️

spacer.png

35th anniversary logo

spacer.png

that logo just kinda emphasizes how dark the teal is on their logos for some reason is. and how dark the purple is all around the team’s branding (uniform, court, etc)

think they were better off just bringing the last anniversary logo back and changing the year numbers

img_4841.jpg

IMG-7122.gif

48 minutes ago, pelicanfan said:

that logo just kinda emphasizes how dark the teal is on their logos for some reason is. and how dark the purple is all around the team’s branding (uniform, court, etc)

I find it interesting that there is such a difference in color shade. I do like how bright the teal is on the uniforms, and how… purple the purple is as well. It really makes it all pop compared to their initial colors in the 90s.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Kg54mvp said:

spacer.png

Ben Stiller is, and always will be, my favorite Charlotte Hornet.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

The thing that bothers me most about that logo is that it's specifically celebrating the first season of the Hornets but has the multicolor double pinstripes, which wasn't introduced until the mid-90s. Sloppy work and a reminder of how dull the brand has gotten since the team's return.

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, AndrewMLind said:

It is hidden in the release, but the Hornets are getting a new Classic Edition uniform next season. They previously wore a teal classic uniform in 2017-18, white classic uniform in 2018-19 and purple classic uniform in 2019-20. 

So the four HWC teams next year are:

Utah

Charlotte

Orlando

Philadelphia

??

• Like 4