2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

And exactlyĀ whyĀ again is the NBA doing this in-season tournament thing??

• Like 10

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff.Ā šŸ˜

|| dribbble || BehanceĀ ||

If I had to guess, Nike is just going to roll out a line dubbed "Tournament Edition" or "Primetime Edition" at some point early in the season, with most designs just looking like rejected Earned Edition/Summer League designs (identifiable to each team, but likely with some kind of new color or design element in place of their standard ones). I'm intrigued, but keeping expectations low.

• Like 5

All leagues exist for one reason: to make money.. NBA regular season was in dire need of change so I think this could be very cool.. European Soccer, and soccer in general, is the most popular sport in the world so emulating that structure is probably a good thing.

Ā 

From a design standpoint I think it would be dope if the courts were made to look like outdoor/ blacktop courtsĀ šŸ¤£Ā idk just thinking outside the box.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tBBP said:

And exactlyĀ whyĀ again is the NBA doing this in-season tournament thing??

Ā 

To get viewers interested in November/December basketball (because who really cares about NBA games until Christmas?), take eyes away from late-season NFL, if possible, and thus,Ā  juice the new media contract coming up in a couple years.Ā 

Ā 

Looking down the road, college football playoff expansion will happen sooner and will be much bigger if the NBA's tournament is successful, as TV networks will have to make business case decisions on those corporate write offs known as low-level bowl games.Ā  The NCAA will be chasing that TV money and they don't want it all to go to the NBA.Ā 

Ā 

Gary Bettman will also probably try to do something similar, by having the Bruins/Rangers/Penguins/Red Wings participate in a four-team, triple-elimination mid-season round robin tournament for the next 40 years.Ā 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Ā 

I donā€™t think theyā€™ve said any rule changes will be in place; as the ā€œgroup stageā€ will be shared games with the regular season standings, that seems untenable. (Although Iā€™d hope for Elam ending overtimes at least.)

Ā 

I think this will end up being the grand return of ā€œEarned Editionsā€. How many Pantone greens can we possibly get the Celtics in?

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Ā  Ā 

I'm guessing when Silver is talking about European soccer, he's referring to the Champions League and other multi-league tournaments, which is why the NBA's in season tournament is so dumb, when it only includes only the 30 NBA teams.Ā  Even something like England's FA Cup has every team at every level competing for it.Ā  Maybe if they put a playoff spot on the line, it might mean something.Ā  Otherwise, it's just about the money.

• Like 7

The different courts component is interesting to me. Is the league going to foot the bill to have an extra 30 courts made? Are teams going to have to store them?

Ā 

If the league is actually having separate courts for this in-season tournament (and not just digital signage on existing floors), I would come up with some sort of Ā design system that brings consistency to all the games being played and adds to the idea that this is a special event. If every team just has another alternate court with no ties to anyone elseā€™s, it kinda defeats the purpose.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, upperV03 said:

ā€¦.

Just what the NBA needs, more uniforms.Ā 

Ā 

"Different uniforms"

Ā 

They should force the Lakers wear Celtics green and the Celtics wear purple and gold, then watch the chaos unfold...

7 hours ago, pepis21 said:

So they gonna play on neutral ground, btw heres is prize money:

What could go wrong? :D

Ā 

It's just to sell ads and one more thing for gamblers to gamble on.Ā  Don't care either way, but it'll be one more chance for a star player to get injured, like Giannis, Herro, Paul George, Jokic, Morant, etc.

9 minutes ago, sayahh said:

Ā 

It's just to sell ads and one more thing for gamblers to gamble on.Ā  Don't care either way, but it'll be one more chance for a star player to get injured, like Giannis, Herro, Paul George, Jokic, Morant, etc.

Ā 

Why will the injuries increase if these games are replacing regular season games?Ā 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Ā