2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

17 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

I feel like the Suns have been trying too hard to bring back elements from the 90s uniforms. But completely missing the mark on what made them great. 

They want elements of the 90s while keeping their dated early 2000s identity.  Compromise like this almost always results in garbage.

• Like 8
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

12 hours ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

seeing these in real form all i could really say now is wow what a awkward-looking jersey. i thought the fan rendering did it some justice. but these just fall so flat. maybe they'll look better officially on the players. but from what we see here these do not look great. the stripe and the wordmark are so oddly small. the number font feels out of place and is sitting at a weird angle too apparently. and one jersey has the stripe filled in while the other doesnt... its just a strange looking mess. im a believer that a team can take an old look and modernize it (as we saw from the city jerseys for the 75th season.) and its a shame that the suns missed the mark here. they could have easily added in the gradient theme. 

• Like 2

IMG-7122.gif

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

The Suns can't seem to get out of their own way with their uniforms.  The pre-Barkley set and Barkley set were fantastic.  But since then, it's been a complete disaster of gray, silly-trendy (but not trendy) fonts, quarter-steps towards the Barkley set but afraid to commit, and (already mentioned, but worth repeating) silly-ass fonts.

While that supposed leak is barely a half-step towards the Barkley era, it would be acceptable and an upgrade if they didn't insist on going with the ugliest numbers that they can possibly find (making them straight instead of following the angle is also a choice.)

I just don't get it.  Purple and orange is such a great pallete - but it's as if they go out of their way to use it as poorly as possible.

rarely say "just go back to", as I think it's generally the worst approach to correcting, but this is a case where I'd absolutely recommend it, because they've proven that they can't be trusted with making original designs.  I understand there's silly restrictions against "going back", but even if they went with something that made them look like the Great Value Barkleys, that would probably be better than what they could do from scratch.

Yeah, I am the same way. The '92-00 look still translate well into today's NBA. 

r0_0_800_600_w800_h600_fmax.jpg

Much more than even this ...

hi-res-458213085-eric-bledsoe-and-goran-

• Like 6

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 minute ago, kimball said:

Yeah, I am the same way. The '92-00 look still translate well into today's NBA. 

r0_0_800_600_w800_h600_fmax.jpg

Much more than even this ...

hi-res-458213085-eric-bledsoe-and-goran-

Don't get me started on these garbage unis 🤮 awful...definitely a failed attempt at trying to modernize the 90s throwbacks. Even worse was the grey sleeved abomination that they simply just slapped the western font wordmark on. Unfortunately I don't think simply bringing back that era's unis is on the table, which is a shame because I agree that they still hold up.

• Like 2

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

1 hour ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

The jerseys could use minor fixes but those prototype shorts are cool. 

The jerseys in the tweets look to be size 50, and Nike doesn’t make a size 50 Swingman (good way to spot a fake), nor do Nike Swingmans have preforated numbers. However, it doesn’t mean the design is far off. 

The 90s Suns set, esp with warmups, are Top 5 in NBA history for me. They were great. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

44 minutes ago, jdukie said:

Why not just go back to the Barkley era full time? Is there some rule that prevents this - I mean the NFL and MLB go back to old brands all the time. 

If they go back to the throwback, they won't have a good throwback left to throw back to.

• Like 1

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

1 hour ago, jdukie said:

Why not just go back to the Barkley era full time? Is there some rule that prevents this - I mean the NFL and MLB go back to old brands all the time. 

Yeah the NBA doesn’t allow teams to go back to old unis full time. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

This is evidence that the Barkley-era unis were ahead of their time and the best this franchise has ever looked. Wearing them as occasional throwbacks doesn't feel sufficient enough. But every attempt at evoking parts of that look fall flat. 

I'd like to think this is why the Hawks haven't done the same with the Dominique Wilkins-era uniforms, which were that franchise's aesthetic peak. Anything they'd do to pay homage to it wouldn't do it justice. 

• Applause 3

46 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

If they go back to the throwback, they won't have a good throwback left to throw back to.

You sure about that?

FMc3iJWX0AQc5q0.jpg

kevin-johnson-of-the-phoenix-suns-dribbl

494334476-phoenix-suns-v-sacramento-king

Granted, aside from a font change to the chest scripts these were pretty much the same sets Phoenix came into the L with, but I don't think these, or any version of such, has ever even seen a floor since the '92 (?) change.  (I could be wrong though.)

I mean Tom Chambers, Jeff Hornacek, babyfaced Kevin Johnson and young Thunder Dan Majerle all sported those...I wouldn't mind seeing these come back at least once a an alternate. (But not primary though, just to be clear.)

• Like 12
  • Love 6

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

17 minutes ago, tBBP said:

You sure about that?

FMc3iJWX0AQc5q0.jpg

kevin-johnson-of-the-phoenix-suns-dribbl

494334476-phoenix-suns-v-sacramento-king

Granted, aside from a font change to the chest scripts these were pretty much the same sets Phoenix came into the L with, but I don't think these, or any version of such, has ever even seen a floor since the '92 (?) change.  (I could be wrong though.)

I mean Tom Chambers, Jeff Hornacek, babyfaced Kevin Johnson and young Thunder Dan Majerle all sported those...I wouldn't mind seeing these come back at least once a an alternate. (But not primary though, just to be clear.)

It was intended more as a play on words. 😅

I agree they’d have to incorporate those as a throwback if that happened.

They did throwback to the original set a few years ago, so that was the closest we’ve seen to that era for PHX in modern times. I prefer the western font over these though since it added some flair to an otherwise simplistic look.

spacer.png

• Like 6

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Also if that leaker is saying the ownership hasn’t signed off on anything yet….then they wouldn’t be getting jerseys this coming season. 

but they are getting new uniforms this season sooo

14 hours ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

I'd like to see back of these shorts, at this moment I've got mixed feeling about side stripes.

13 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The jerseys in the tweets look to be size 50, and Nike doesn’t make a size 50 Swingman (good way to spot a fake), nor do Nike Swingmans have preforated numbers. However, it doesn’t mean the design is far off.

50 isn't available for authentic too iirc but both jerseys from tweet are game pro-cut.

Back photos:

FvnoKdAaUAEwhz2?format=jpg&name=largeFvnoKKyaEAEWxas?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 4

4r2eer.png

The jersey numbers saying 23 seem to be a pretty good indicator that this is probably happening. Usually when prototypes or media guides are out showing uniforms, the numbers on the jerseys correspond with the year of the season. 

The numbers being used are the Cavaliers old numbers. Why the hell did they pick that? I've never seen a team take a custom number font like that. This leads me to believe this might be BS.

951273258-indiana-pacers-v-cleveland-cav

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

bSLCtu2.png

8 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

The jersey numbers saying 23 seem to be a pretty good indicator that this is probably happening. Usually when prototypes or media guides are out showing uniforms, the numbers on the jerseys correspond with the year of the season. 

However the numbers being used are the Cavaliers old numbers. If this is going to be their uniforms then there is absolutely no way they are going to use that font.

951273258-indiana-pacers-v-cleveland-cav

They've used same font with the Cavs before.

2 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Don't they usually have 22 on front and 23 on back if it's meant for the 2023-23 season?  So if it were meant for the upcoming season starting in October, then it would have had 24 on the back?  (Yes, I understand that if they use the prototype from 22-23 and delayed it by a year like the 75th league anniversary celebration then it would still be relevant.)

i dont think its that big of an issue using another teams font its just kinda funny when the font in question is very obviously that of another team. like i think even non uniform enthusiasts can spot those out and notice it's more fitting for the cavs. 

better look at the font here: 

Cleveland Cavaliers v Indiana Pacers

-----

i'd also like to bring up this concept by casey vitelli on twitter. not sure if these have been posted already but these look so much better and cleaned up. way better number font. way better scaling and placement of the sunstripe and wordmark. and also some uniformity with the statements.

suns.png

• Like 4

IMG-7122.gif