2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

17 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

Don’t really care for the white basketball sun. Orange should have been a no-brainer.

It sure beats the black sun/ball that was suggested in those initial leaked renders a couple years back, but yeah, something looks odd about it being white and how it melds with the white wordmark (while also appearing to run off the edge of the design entirely). I'll call it an upgrade because I always prefer the Suns to lean into this design motif, but they're overthinking it.

• Like 9

Not feeling the white ball either. What are the chances they are making these inferior design decisions, along with some other unis that were inspired by a previous classic design, to be clearly distinguishable from it, and not lose the opportunity to still have the original classic design sell separately? I'm very positive that's the reason.

• Like 2

New Suns Jerseys are definitely inferior to the previous Sunburst jerseys, but definitely better than the Adidas update. Also better than their last set.  I agree that an orange ball/sun would have made these jerseys better, but these aren't bad. I will definitely buy a Booker Jersey.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bowld said:

Who else is going to have a new set of uniforms?  We have now seen Kings and Suns, wasn't there supposed to be 3 new looks?

I believe it's gonna be Sixers (minor tweaks)

20 hours ago, bowld said:

spacer.png

Much better than first unused version and I don't mind white bball because it provide nice contrast to overall, although this might not be a case in home shirt. I hope shorts would be also nice.

4r2eer.png

In general, I'm pleased that the Suns are taking some cues from the Barkley-era uniforms, which is the best that franchise ever looked. I'm always a big fan of taking a classic look and evolving it. That said, these still feel inferior to the '90s throwbacks, which hold up incredibly well, far more than I'd have ever thought they would. 

• Like 4

i’m just glad there’s a gradual increase in teams with a front design outside of letters and numbers. of course we’ve had the blazers with their sash and the warriors with that bridge logo. in recent years we’ve had the hornets bring back the double pinstripes, raptors going for that big chevron design, and now the suns bringing back that sun stripe design. i wonder who will be the next.. maybe jazz bringing back mountains full time? 

• Like 2

On 7/27/2023 at 3:03 PM, McCall said:

Don't really like the white basketball, that it's cut off too much to really look like a basketball, or the fact that the sunburst is actually purple instead of orange.

Other than that, not bad.

Yeah, it’s not perfect, but it’s probably the best purple jersey they’ve had since the Barkley look. 

11 minutes ago, the admiral said:

next year's redesign.

It does seem like they have a new design every year - yet they're still addicted to the terrible font.

Don't like how thin the white letters are - you can see the sun rays behind them!  I know they don't do sewn twill anymore, but maybe double up on the white so it's not as transparent.

The suns have only ever had two memorable looks - the pre-Barkley and Barkley looks.  Everything else has been completely forgettable - as these will be by the time they redesign them... next year.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think people remember the Nash uniforms well because of the team's success in them. They were terrible, though. Why all the grey? Gimme that hot solar grey. They also used City as the font, which ruined the trademark SU∩S  ambigram. 

• Like 6

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 7/27/2023 at 6:07 PM, alecgoff said:

A simple fix could go a long way. 

ewgeeregrg.jpg

It’s crazy how much better that looks. 😂

Reminds of how the Lakers did their retro inspired rebrand but messed up the collar/piping just to make it distinguishable from their actual retro’s and it just sticks out like a sore thumb. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

You could’ve stopped there. City is one of my least favorite slab-serif fonts, especially in bolder weights.

I could do without City for the Hawks. They should have stolen Avant Garde from channel 44:

WSNS Channel 44 - "Blackhawks Promo & ID Slide" (1980) - YouTube

Anyway, add this Suns uniform to the long list of "classic uniforms with modern updates" where the modern updates blow the whole thing.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Agreed with Avant Garde, but I'd like to put in a good word for Lubalin Graph. Slab-serif fits with the Blackhawks for me, and Lubalin doesn't have the "overdone" feel of City.

Speaking of fonts, the proprietary font the Suns have used for a decade now is awful. More than the white basketball, the terrible font drags this otherwise OK design down. It's too "jagged" to work well in this style. Something that called back to the 1968 font would've been welcome.

25_21_6115A_med.jpeg5328.gif

A clean, largely sans-serif font (albeit less tall than the '68 one) would've flowed better here.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

The ball being white causes it and "SUNS" to compete for visual attention, where the orange ball pushes it and the streak into the background, which is far more visually appealing. The white ball makes the two white elements appear side-by-side. Orange makes "SUNS" appear layered on top or in front of the streaking sun/ball.

ewgeeregrg.jpgspacer.png

• Like 12