2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

Watching some Nuggets highlights, and it seems the court has a slight change where the hardwood has more color variation in between each of the individual strips. Some are darker, some are lighter. Results in a pretty cool/unique aesthetic, something a little more natural.

Here is last year's for comparison. Note the more consistent finish. And I don't believe that this is just a lighting thing.

5280 on Nuggets court: Why is the number there? What does it represent? -  DraftKings Network

• Like 7

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

11 hours ago, Lights Out said:

"Ass" is exaggerating it, I think, but they're very uninspired.

I will be in opposition, because I like it and I really mean it. Mostly is the font they've use on wordmark along with design of it which is a nice variation about 90's. Of course it would be better if it says Clippers, but it doesn't change the overall look. Color combo suprisingly works together.
Whole uniform give me weird autumn vibe even when I hate autumn and I know it's white not cream and light blue is more associated with winter.

• Like 3

4r2eer.png

11 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

Watching some Nuggets highlights, and it seems the court has a slight change where the hardwood has more color variation in between each of the individual strips. Some are darker, some are lighter. Results in a pretty cool/unique aesthetic, something a little more natural.

Here is last year's for comparison. Note the more consistent finish. And I don't believe that this is just a lighting thing.

5280 on Nuggets court: Why is the number there? What does it represent? -  DraftKings Network

wanted to mention this last night but thought id be the only person to notice haha. i feel like the altering wood tiles kinda gives off the illusion that the court is smaller than it actually is. or maybe its a new camera angle or something idk.

14 hours ago, Lights Out said:

"Ass" is exaggerating it, I think, but they're very uninspired.

design wise its alright. its got a quirk in the "clips" wordmark i guess. but come on how many dark jerseys do we need? these would instantly look better in red or baby blue or maybe even orange. i see there's a cartoony influence to it, why not go all out with a bright color instead of numbing it down to navy? why not add some more pop on the trim or the sides? why not change the number font?

• Like 1

There's no way this is just a random design choice, these had to have been designed by someone with a name or a following or something. They're a little too polished to be done by that NBA_paint account that gets a lot of pub, but something like that?

1 hour ago, Germanshepherd said:

Even Kyle Kuzma, far from a reserved man in his fashion choices, thinks the NBA has gone too far. 

theoretically i dont think the city edition line would be this much of a problem because its only 1 in 4 jerseys changing every year. but once other factors roll thats when teams really start to lose their identity. like the statement editions. those were suppose to be just as consistent as icon and association jerseys but now we have the suns who have the pixel gradient jersey or the clippers with the mister cartoon street style jersey. neither of these teams' statement editions look anything close to their other two core jerseys. add that to the mix of city editions and now we have teams who have jersey sets that are split in half (2/4) with two random jerseys. maybe even more with throwback jerseys in the mix. (ex: pistons last season)

image.png

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Even Kyle Kuzma, far from a reserved man in his fashion choices, thinks the NBA has gone too far. 

I wouldn't have expected such a nuanced take on jerseys from an athlete, but he's spot on.  Teams have clearly exhausted all their good ideas by now, so they're either just coming up with bland designs or milking their go-to city designs dry.

• Like 8

What sucks about Nike is I really love the cut of the jerseys and most of the recoloring from the transition from Adidas (besides the Lakers banana yellow). The slight modifications of jerseys from back 10 years ago mostly look better. Especially with the Nike logo, although I still wish the NBA logo was there too. 

BUT, the marketing for the “association”, “icon”, “city”, “statement” and “earned” is and was still dumb even though I know it prints money. I still

miss home and away jerseys, although I do like color mashups. 

Overall, although we’ve gotten some really great City jerseys, A LOT of them have sucked. And having to make fresh ideas for teams that just simply don’t have any is really, really frustrating. It’s like I just want it to be simpler times at this point. 

Home, Away, Alternate, Retro. That’s it. Maybe have color vs color on national TV games or something. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

45 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I don't condone Elon Musk trying to destroy Twitter, but I understand it.

Didn't he allegedly buy it because (one of many reasons): his trans kid wouldn't talk to him or something?

Was watching the Jazz play the New Zealand Breakers and I got a kick out of remembering that NBL teams wear the Hungry Jacks logo on their jerseys. For those who don't know, Hungry Jack's is a variant of Burger King in Australia and New Zealand. 

screenshot-2023-04-24-at-10.56.34-am.png

However when I looked closer they had the Burger King logo instead! Did they change it just for the games in America?! That's a cool touch, even if I hate ads on uniforms.

F8m4eJ9bcAAYhtR?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Also yes, highlighter yellow vs. pink is something else. The Breakers uniforms were still better than the Jazz uniforms.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Eyeroll 1

bSLCtu2.png

5 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Was watching the Jazz play the New Zealand Breakers and I got a kick out of remembering that NBL teams wear the Hungry Jacks logo on their jerseys. For those who don't know, Hungry Jack's is a variant of Burger King in Australia and New Zealand. 

screenshot-2023-04-24-at-10.56.34-am.png

However when I looked closer they had the Burger King logo instead! Did they change it just for the games in America?! That's a cool touch, even if I hate ads on uniforms.

F8m4eJ9bcAAYhtR?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Also yes, highlighter yellow vs. pink is something else. The Breakers uniforms were still better than the Jazz uniforms.

I believe Hungry Jack's is only used in Australia and not in New Zealand.  So, it would make sense for them to use Burger King.   The front should still say Hungry Jack since it's part of the NBL logo.

spacer.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

theoretically i dont think the city edition line would be this much of a problem because its only 1 in 4 jerseys changing every year. but once other factors roll thats when teams really start to lose their identity. like the statement editions. those were suppose to be just as consistent as icon and association jerseys but now we have the suns who have the pixel gradient jersey or the clippers with the mister cartoon street style jersey. neither of these teams' statement editions look anything close to their other two core jerseys. add that to the mix of city editions and now we have teams who have jersey sets that are split in half (2/4) with two random jerseys. maybe even more with throwback jerseys in the mix. (ex: pistons last season)

image.png

totally agree, actually i think nike failed especially on statement jersey, the idea of having a fourth special jersey that moves away from the main brand would not be that bad. We have a few example other then the pistons, totally wrong color, wordmark, and design, because for me the statement should maintain a similar design if not the same. For Example the lakers, beside the terrible purple and black, wich is vomiting upon a classic look, why the heck you have two uniforms with sidestripe on the sorts, and a third with sidestripe on the jersey too? it makes no sense to me, it doesn't look no more like a game jersey, but some kind of New Era practice fan item. other then those teams woith very bad statement? following the same criteria, the warriors one did such a downgrade, especially considering that the yelow one was so good for me.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

On 10/16/2023 at 5:25 AM, SSmith48 said:

I agree that it looks more interesting that way, but only those sublimated graphics on otherwise uncolored paint areas just don't work, it still looks too bare regardless (same with the Pelicans).  They need and could do something more interesting with the paint.

17 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

image.png

Thank you for this. I would begrudgingly live with the City Edition if we weren't seeing experimental/off-brand stuff beginning to creep into the Statement Edition jerseys as well. As you said, I was under the impression the Statement Edition was more or less supposed to be the equivalent to the alternate jersey of yesteryear (pretty much just a recoloring of the Icon jersey, or at least something fairly on brand.) That is starting to no longer be the case. The Pistons' above is one of the most egregious offenders, using a non-team color and a non-team font.

• Like 4