2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Stern was a visionary but also a traditionalist in that he firmly believed every team should have a star player so that local fans are engaged with the team and want to see them play. That seems so quaint and provincial now. 

Stern was once quoted as saying that his dream Finals matchup was Lakers vs. Lakers. He would have personally traded all those local teams' stars to the Lakers if he could have.

• Like 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I said one time that going to an NBA game was becoming more like attending a performance of Hamilton than a sporting event and people got mad at me. If it wasn't true a year or two ago, it has to be true by now.

I imagine Hamilton crowds keep their mouths shut during the action, whereas every NBA game I go to now I have idiot finance bros behind me who won't shut up about their respective FanDuel bets on other games.

I'd also say that particular phenomenon hasn't seemed to be limited to the NBA. Again, might be market-by-market, but Bruins and Sox games of the post-covid era to me have felt similarly moribund, and similarly wallet-destroying, though maybe with less FanDuel banter. Though the Red Sox were pursuing the luxury-experience strategy for many, many years now.

Just now, Digby said:

I imagine Hamilton crowds keep their mouths shut during the action

The Hamilton crowds will get you in other ways. I'd insert that one popular image about the Hamilton fandom/fanart community here, but I don't think it's allowed on the forum.

But yeah, the in-season tournament stuff looks fairly tacky, and it will no doubt be successful enough to keep the tournament around.

I can't get over the ESPN feature story giving gas to this debacle. 

Not just a horrible idea, but the execution is egregious. I thought when I first saw these pop up on my IG that they were really bad fan concepts. 

It's also condescending to fans, engaged and casual, to suggest score bugs or other smaller indicators are enough to signify a tournament game is happening. 

They went as loud as possible without thinking of the consequences. This is just comical. I mean, look at that Pelicans court. Look at the Indy one?! If anything, this is just going to put more of a spotlight on how the City program has destroyed the identity of the NBA's teams. 

The worst part is the giant trophy logos in the keys and at mid-court. This is so bad it makes the World Cup 2026 branding look good. 

• Like 6

The stripe running down the center of the court is supposed to represent the airport runway in Las Vegas, which will host the semifinals and finals at T-Mobile Arena on Dec. 7 and 9.

This is the DUMBEST reason for a design element I've heard in quite a while.

• Like 10
  • LOL 4
  • Dislike 1
  • Facepalm 4

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

5 hours ago, PurpleRain said:

It's also stupid that they're not wearing them for their games around Halloween because they haven't even officially announced them yet.

I think the intention is less Halloween, more voodoo / spooky / scary.   New Orleans is one of the spookiest/haunted  places  in the country.  I mean, the O.G. Haunted Mansion in DisneyLAND is a New Orleans thing.   Throw in all of Anne Rice's work with vampires and witches and such, and ghosts and zombies, and you'll see why the Haunted History tours in the city are such a big deal.

I personally like playing up THAT aspect of my town, something a little different than music,  food, Mardi Gras and booze. 

Which is why I always thought New Orleans Spirits would be a great name for a team here-- not just for the spooky aspect, but in a double reference to 'spirits' as booze.  😁

• Like 1

It is what it is.

1 hour ago, kimball said:

The stripe running down the center of the court is supposed to represent the airport runway in Las Vegas

Las Vegas, Nevada.

A city with a trillion recognizable landmarks.

Adam Silver selects a slab of concrete from McCarran to inspire their tournament courts.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

6uXNWAo.png

I like trophy behind logo on center circle, because it reminds me of Larry O'Brien trophy in Finals back in the day, and until I see a real photos that's the only thing I like. By the way at first I thought these courts are made from PVC, but then I read that article from ESPN.

On the other hand I wonder how Lakers and Clippers would storage these? IIRC the reason why they don't have any City or Classic courts are lack of space in storeroom for that in their arena.

4r2eer.png

6 hours ago, kimball said:

The stripe running down the center of the court is supposed to represent the airport runway in Las Vegas, which will host the semifinals and finals at T-Mobile Arena on Dec. 7 and 9.

This is the DUMBEST reason for a design element I've heard in quite a while.

Uhhh…

LAS.jpg

VmWIn6B.png

Not to sound like a Tiktoker, but the NBA is firmly in their no-such-thing-as-bad-publicity era. I think it's been 10 years since Mark Cuban's famous comment about the NFL's supposed downfall, but the NBA feels a lot hoggier today than the NFL ever has. The latter has swept some egregious :censored: under the rug to keep the train otherwise running pretty much as normal save for the occasional simulcast on Nickelodeon or whatever, but the NBA's ambitions for itself have become so bizarre and off-putting, made worse by the fact that they'll throw literally anything against the wall to make just one baby step toward realizing them.

I just read From Hang Time to Prime Time*, and a recurring theme throughout the book is David Stern lecturing all his new employees and business partners about how the NBA isn't actually a sports league, it's Disney, with the league's (easily identifiable thanks to the nature of the sport) being the equivalent of iconic Disney characters. Explains a lot. Considering how much more obnoxious things have gotten in the last decade, Adam Silver appears to be doubling down pretty hard on that.

*Which spends very little time covering the actual business side of the sport regarding franchise placement/health and CBA stuff (which is the type of content I was hoping for, a la The Instigator for the NHL), while dedicating entire chapters to crap like Marvin Gaye singing the national anthem. I do not recommend, this thing's getting donated to the library in my next round of downsizing.

• Like 1