Arizona Cardinals new uniform extravaganza

CaliforniaGlowin

21 minutes ago, nuordr said:

I disagree as I believe all parts of the uniforms should match. Not only the stripes, but TV numbers and the wordmark.  The best comment I've seen yet came from my Sports Aesthetics Facebook page, "this is why designers NEED to have OCD" so mismatched uniforms would not exist. 

I'm genuinely interested in why people believe this. I don't necessarily disagree but I think it's not a cut and dry belief I hold anymore. Is it so fans wearing the jerseys and apparel out in the real world/in the stands all look like they are repping the same team? Or is it so photos of one game match photos of another game perfectly? The red jersey will not be worn next to the white jersey in any other setting than the uniform unveiling, so what's the importance of them matching exactly?

As a brand/logo designer my thoughts have evolved on the subject because it used to be important to "see the logo the same in every application", but it's become more common practice to have application specific logos that all come together to form a cohesive visual of a brand. Why are sports uniforms any different?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, eRay said:

I'm genuinely interested in why people believe this. I don't necessarily disagree but I think it's not a cut and dry belief I hold anymore. Is it so fans wearing the jerseys and apparel out in the real world/in the stands all look like they are repping the same team? Or is it so photos of one game match photos of another game perfectly? The red jersey will not be worn next to the white jersey in any other setting than the uniform unveiling, so what's the importance of them matching exactly?

As a brand/logo designer my thoughts have evolved on the subject because it used to be important to "see the logo the same in every application", but it's become more common practice to have application specific logos that all come together to form a cohesive visual of a brand. Why are sports uniforms any different?

If the Cardinals decide to wear the white jersey with the red pants, then the pants really won't tie into the uniform without the stripes.  But if they decide to wear the black jersey with the white pants, the stripes are aligned, and it makes the look cohesive. Then again, if they wear the red jersey with the white or black pants, the jersey doesn't have the stripes and once again it is not uniform, rather it is asymmetrical.  

I just like all parts of the uniform to match for cohesiveness and symmetrical design. This is why I agree with the person that designers should have OCD, that way all parts of a design is cohesive and aligned.  

I have the same problem with the new Calgary Stampeders uniforms as their alternate uniform uses a different template than the home and road uniform. spacer.png

• Like 3

spacer.png

1 minute ago, nuordr said:

If the Cardinals decide to wear the white jersey with the red pants, then the pants really won't tie into the uniform without the stripes.  But if they decide to wear the black jersey with the white pants, the stripes are aligned, and it makes the look cohesive. Then again, if they wear the red jersey with the white or black pants, the jersey doesn't have the stripes and once again it is not uniform, rather it is asymmetrical.  

I just like all parts of the uniform to match for cohesiveness and symmetrical design. This is why I agree with the person that designers should have OCD, that way all parts of a design is cohesive and aligned. 

Your thoughts sum up all of my issues with the Bengals new set. So many people rave about them, but the inconstant Bengal striping between the helmet, jersey shoulder, and pant stripe drives me up a wall. Our brains must work similarly. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, nuordr said:

I have the same problem with the new Calgary Stampeders uniforms as their alternate uniform using a different template than the home and road uniform. spacer.png

I think alternate jerseys should have some leeway because that's their point, to be alternate. The home and the road should be matching and parts should be interchangeable (when it comes to football pants and socks) but having a different alternate is fine when it is self contained, but still recognizable.

Like that Stamps alternate still does look like it's from the same team and still has the same flavour as the home and road. The pants are black versions of the white pants.

IbjBaeE.png

I mocked up the uni matchups for everyone on Arizona's schedule this upcoming season, using the standard home/road looks for each team. I gotta say, these don't look as horrible next to other uniforms, but I still worry about how much white is on the road uniform and how much detail/color will actually be visible on the broadcasts.

Vzqcd4k.jpeg

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

KSLqAKI.png

You can see the tiny specks in there. But unless you're watching up close on TV, it probably won't stand out. 

They’ll have to figure out decal placement, this bird ^^^ will be looking nearly straight down when worn. 

• Like 4

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, chakfu said:

I thought the rumors of darkened red and use of orangey yellow were very plausible.

Plausible? Sure. Nike's talked teams into dumb ideas before. 

But that's not what the Cards and Nike did. Sure we can see it happening, but it didn't. 

And I hope this being such a high profile example of Reddit bull :censored: gets people to finally realize that they're better off ignoring what comes out of that place uni and logo-wise. 

1 minute ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Just curious - why?

Well the Commanders set is garbage.

But the Cards’ home and roads are sharp (save for the huge Arizona, which should have been scaled down), and as meaningless as this word is…they’re “clean”. IMO

• Like 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Just now, WSU151 said:

Well the Commanders set is garbage.

But the Cards’ home and roads are sharp (save for the huge Arizona, which should have been scaled down), and as meaningless as this word is…they’re “clean”. IMO

Got it - thanks!

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

This and the Commanders set makes me fear that when the Eagles jersey gets updated with the new wordmark, they'll make the wordmark HUGE and lower.  Like... I'm getting really worried about that.  I think they said it wasn't happening till '24 - hope that's still the case.

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I think alternate jerseys should have some leeway because that's their point, to be alternate. The home and the road should be matching and parts should be interchangeable (when it comes to football pants and socks) but having a different alternate is fine when it is self contained, but still recognizable.

Like that Stamps alternate still does look like it's from the same team and still has the same flavour as the home and road. The pants are black versions of the white pants.

I can understand your point about the alternate being different. But the home and road should at least be the same and unfortunately that is not the case with the Cardinals. 

spacer.png

Just now, nuordr said:

I can understand your point about the alternate being different. But the home and road should at least be the same and unfortunately that is not the case with the Cardinals. 

Counter-point- The Cards have a history of their red and white jerseys not being mirrors of each other 

• Like 12
  • Applause 1

This set to me is like the Jaguars set in that it will look best if it follows a few simple rules:

• Jersey and Pants are NEVER the same color
  • Pants and Socks are NEVER the same color

As long as they follow those 2 rules, this set is just fine for me. (although in the Cardinals case, the red jersey/pants should never be mix and matched with the black jersey/pants).

• Like 2