2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

The Dolphins’ throwbacks are fun a few times a year, but I wouldn’t want to see them come back full time, at least not without some tweaks. I’m not a fan of the four distinct striping patterns on each element of the uniform. It feels disjointed. There’s simply not enough consistency for it to work in today’s NFL in my book. That being said, the Dolphins’ current uniforms are quite underrated in my book, so long as they wear contrasting socks. The simple stripes and modern rounded block make for one of the best modern looks in the NFL. I’d prefer a set more akin to their 90’s look with the double outlines and unified stripes. As others have mentioned, that’s easily their best look. Take that set, add a tweaked version of the modern block font, and it’s perfect.

• Like 5
  • Yawn 1

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

All this Dolphin talk -- Can we give their old script some love?

5a4883bb197ea2b5e39375e914096d1f.png

If there's one thing about the current Dolphins motif I would change, it would be their script logo. The one they have now was a big swing and miss.

• Like 16

6uXNWAo.png

52 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Agreed.  The Cowboys' usual occasional navy blue outfit is just boring.  Consistent, but boring.  But the navy jersey over the (totally unnecessary) white pants is boring, top-heavy, and slapped together.  The standard white is a jumble of too many colors, but at least they look like the Cowboys.

I repeat... the onlyspacer.png Cowboy colors they need...

100% the truth. PREACH. 

Just now, Froob said:

Lions would have looked awesome with white jersey and blue pants. Shame.

This is the best option if they have to wear the blue helmet. The uniforms tonight are atrocious. There's a part of me that thinks the gray jersey is dark enough to work with white pants, but I'm not sure. Not saying it should be worn at all, but the mono-gray is terrible.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cujo said:

Q: Do we know if the Dolphins changes shades of aqua between 93 and 94?

According to TruColor, they did not.

40WJJur.png

Also, the three shades of aqua that the Dolphins have worn throughout the years.

Q55xqRL.png

• Like 4

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

On 10/29/2023 at 4:56 PM, the admiral said:

The Oilers throwbacks are imperfect, but it was really nice to see them this week. Columbia and red is a strong color scheme, the oil derrick and drop-shadowed wordmark looked terrific on the field, and all of it meant not seeing the crappy Titans uniforms. I have no position on "they should use this full-time," but I maintain that Houston should have gotten the same deal Cleveland got or, better yet, the move should have been disallowed in the first place. It's a classic identity and I think a lot of us missed it.

On the other hand, the Seahawks throwbacks do nothing for me. With the Buccaneers, you can sit and weigh the novelty of the color scheme versus the historic ineptitude of the teams that first wore them versus the ineptitude of the later Bucs teams that wore pewter, but the Seahawks, I dunno, they just look kind of like the Lions but worse and always went 8-8. There's no real emotional valence there. Also, somehow their plastic grass looks like dead actual grass. What's with that.

Not to kickstart an "intellectual dishonesty"/Browns & Ravens debate, but a hypothetical: If the impossible came to pass and the city of Houston/Texans ownership got a hold of the Oilers IP, would anyone miss the Texans or their identity if the NFL/Texans did an NBA-Bobcats/Hornets switch, in which the Oilers history ends in 1996, and restarts in 2002 (or even go farther and just say the Texas were a separate team that ceased to exist)? I'm not arguing the practicality of the situation (as I don't think it's practical or that it would ever happen). But if it did, would anyone miss the Houston Texans beyond "Their logo was pretty clever"? Forgettable color scheme, forgettable uniforms, only four double-digit-win seasons, never made it past the divisional round of the playoffs. I guess it's been so long now that there's a generation of football fans who grew up only knowing the Texans, so maybe? I guess it would depend on how long this hypothetical would take to play out. But while the Texans identity is OK, it's just that: OK. The Oilers brand was/is much stronger and more recognizable.

Anyway, this post made me think. Mods, if this is appropriate elsewhere, please move it.

Edited by Ted Cunningham
Emphasis added in the quote to highlight the inspiration for my post.
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Not to kickstart an "intellectual dishonesty"/Browns & Ravens debate, but a hypothetical: If the impossible came to pass and the city of Houston/Texans ownership got a hold of the Oilers IP, would anyone miss the Texans or their identity if the NFL/Texans did an NBA-Bobcats/Hornets switch, in which the Oilers history ends in 1996, and restarts in 2002 (or even go farther and just say the Texas were a separate team that ceased to exist)?

Not really. And that's no knock on the Texans identity, which I thought was clever and built to stand the test of time, it's just that NFL brands mean too much to too many people for them to be discarded the way the Oilers were. There should be no relocations under antitrust exemptions.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫