2023 NFL Regular Season Through Super Bowl LVIII

On 10/9/2023 at 6:08 AM, Sec19Row53 said:

Probably. At the very least I thought it.

There's no denying that he's had a good record as a head coach. But seeing him week-to-week there were always concerns. One if his most notable 'flaws' was his insistence on trying for a big play too often when he was facing a third and short. His explanation was that it was a favorable matchup and it should work.

If I heard his crutch buzzwords 'pad level' and 'we're gonna fix that' one more time ... well, it was too late for that 😁

He also had his famous quote when asked a question that begged for a better explanation "Well, I am a pretty successful NFL coach'.

I had to come back to this tonight because Mike McCarthy, once again, is calling a horrendous game. He’s costing the Cowboys points with his abysmal ability to call plays. 

I think he’s fine as a head coach (not the worst but not the best), but he needs to give up play calling if the Cowboys want to have any hope this season. It should have been a massive red flag that he only managed to win one Super Bowl with one of the greatest QB’s ever. 

• Like 1

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

10 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

I had to come back to this tonight because Mike McCarthy, once again, is calling a horrendous game. He’s costing the Cowboys points with his abysmal ability to call plays. 

I think he’s fine as a head coach (not the worst but not the best), but he needs to give up play calling if the Cowboys want to have any hope this season. It should have been a massive red flag that he only managed to win one Super Bowl with one of the greatest QB’s ever. 

What the hell was that before halftime? He's just not used to having timeouts, so he doesn't understand how to use them.

• LOL 1

It's where I sit.

40 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

What the hell was that before halftime? He's just not used to having timeouts, so he doesn't understand how to use them.

He’s prematurely using all of his timeouts in the second half. 

Can’t have poor time clock management if you have no timeouts to use - Probably Mike McCarthy

EDIT: No need to make a second post. Dak was sensational tonight despite McCarthy and Gallup actively working for the opps. Defense showed up on the final two plays, specifically Micah and Gilmore. 

McCarthy needs to give up play calling. Hopefully that change will happen in the bye week (it won’t). 

• Yawn 1

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Justin Herbert has still never had a record above .500. He is now 27-28 in his career. So sad to see his talent wasted on a team that constantly hangs him and the rest of the Chargers' talented offense out to dry. He's not quite the perfect QB and has the occasional dud game but he's easily one of the top 5 most talented quarterbacks in the league. I can only imagine how good he'd be on a team that doesn't force him to play from behind all the time.

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

Brandon Staley's "always go for it" mentality has cost the Chargers at least 5 wins since he's arrived. This clown belongs in college where not attempting FGs and never punting, which is incredibly stupid, is actually accepted and embraced.

6uXNWAo.png

18 hours ago, Cujo said:

Brandon Staley's "always go for it" mentality has cost the Chargers at least 5 wins since he's arrived. This clown belongs in college where not attempting FGs and never punting, which is incredibly stupid, is actually accepted and embraced.

I think he takes it too far but many coaches go way too far to the other extreme. I remember in his last year with the Panthers, Rivera would punt on like 4th and 1 from the opponent 40 every single time. I'd rather see someone playing to win than playing not to lose. As long as it's within reason.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

13 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

I'd rather see someone playing to win than playing not to lose. As long as it's within reason.

Uh. Ok.

Sometimes knowing when to punt and when to not go for it is playing to win.

6uXNWAo.png

2 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Uh. Ok.

Sometimes knowing when to punt and when to not go for it is playing to win.

Sometimes. But a 4th and 1 has a 68% conversion rate so it is completely silly to punt on the opponent's side of the field in that circumstance. And I swear, he did it like 8 times that year. More than half ended up as touchbacks. So you gave up a 68% chance at a first down a few yards from field goal range to put their offense back less than 20 yards. Brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

15 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

Sometimes. But a 4th and 1...

I stopped reading after this because Staley goes for it on 4th and more than 1. Often. You should actually watch a Chargers game sometime.

• Like 3

6uXNWAo.png

21 minutes ago, the admiral said:

HE'S BLOCKING HIS OWN LINEMAN WHO EVEN DOES THIS

I was browsing my Facebook memories yesterday and my status from 13 years ago was "Once again, the Chicago Bears continue to curate new and fascinating methods to lose that defy belief."  

An evergreen take on this bumbling-ass franchise, it appears.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Chargers go for it on fourth and short because they have Justin Herbert, a bad kicker, and a stinky defense who are very likely to allow the opposing offense to get back to the yard-line they punt from anyway. I don't know why this is hard to grasp. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Sport said:

The Chargers go for it on fourth and short because they have Justin Herbert, a bad kicker, and a stinky defense who are very likely to allow the opposing offense to get back to the yard-line they punt from anyway. I don't know why this is hard to grasp. 

Okay. The Chargers have a top-12 kicker..

LA is on this graphic because Staley leaves points on the field with his horrible in-game decision making. How many of those Ls become wins if Staley takes the FG instead of going for it on 4th and 5 on the ten? Another one of those close losses was the SNF game where he called that OT timeout vs the Raiders which literally cost the Chargers a playoff spot. Staley is really truly terrible. 

F8ngDDOasAAli00?format=jpg&name=large

6uXNWAo.png

4 minutes ago, Cujo said:

LA is on this graphic because Staley leaves points on the field with his horrible in-game decision making. How many of those Ls become wins if Staley takes the FG instead of going for it on 4th and 5 on the ten? Another one of those close losses was the SNF game where he called that OT timeout vs the Raiders which literally cost the Chargers a playoff spot. Staley is really truly terrible. 

How many of those close losses were only close because they successfully converted a fourth and short? How many wins do they have because of successfully converting a fourth and short? You can't only focus on the times it hasn't worked and just because it doesn't work sometimes doesn't mean it was the wrong call. That's how probability works. His fourth down decisions are just using easily calculated math. 

I'm not saying he's a good coach, but the reason he's a bad coach is not his fourth down decisions, it's his inability to take his defensive "genius" and get his defense out of the bottom quarter of defenses.

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

17 minutes ago, Cujo said:

The Chargers have been losing games like this for decades. I assure you, it has little to do with anything Staley's doing or not doing. He'll eventually be replaced by the next Madden Create-a-Coach who's just happy to be employed. No actual coach with options is going anywhere near that franchise as long as the Spanii own it. And the Spanii don't want anyone who'd call them out on the joke franchise they've been running anyway.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12