MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

2 hours ago, Seido_Ace said:

These possible CC uniforms for the Phillies look pretty bad, but still pale in comparison to the "New Age" uniforms worn by the Nippon-Ham Fighters last year.

TBF, when have the Fighters ever looked good?

• LOL 2

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

3 hours ago, Seido_Ace said:

These possible CC uniforms for the Phillies look pretty bad, but still pale in comparison to the "New Age" uniforms worn by the Nippon-Ham Fighters last year.

False.  At least Nippon-Ham went with something that Shinsuke Nakamura could easily pull off.  The Philly travesty is just a horrible Gothic font combined with a bleach stain on the front and back.

• LOL 1

VmWIn6B.png

10 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Orioles ST hat

GFIgVHVWgAAcTgE?format=jpg&name=large

This is a new alternate hat for the Orioles (perhaps in addition to being a ST hat, as this original picture does have a waffle mesh texture to it when you really zoom in on it )

A better picture of a 9Fifty snapback on X/Twitter shows the material is regular poly, not ST/BP mesh material. Assuming there's a 59fifty with poly too. 

(updates made here to original post)

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Yeesh… there’s not much I like about that Phillies City jersey. The patch is decent, but that’s about it. 

I could rag on about all the things I don’t like, but I’m just gonna leave it at that. I am curious of what explanations they have to offer, but I don’t imagine it would lead me to like the design any more.

Nike has honestly had a pleasantly surprising track record with the City Connects in my view, really only a few have been complete swings & misses. This immediately becomes one of them, though, and probably the worst of the bunch, at that.

• Like 4

I actually like the Phillies' City Connect, but I'd like it a lot more without the weird gradient, which I know is a pretty major detail to ignore. The rest of the design, from the distinct wordmark and numbers to the decidedly un-Phillies color scheme (clearly inspired by the Philadelphia flag) is, IMO, pretty par for the course for what we've come to expect from the City Connect program at this point. 

I can't wait to read what kind of goofy Nikespeak is used to justify the use of the gradient. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Seido_Ace said:

Not sure what one has to do with the other.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

This is a new alternate hat for the Orioles (perhaps in addition to being a ST hat, as this original picture does have a waffle mesh texture to it when you really zoom in on it )

A better picture of a 9Fifty snapback on X/Twitter shows the material is regular poly, not ST/BP mesh material. Assuming this means there's 59fifty with poly too. 

(updates made here to original post)

There's so much here that doesn't make sense. That's by no means the "OG" bird. (Unless, of course, you think the team was founded in 1989.) And if this is going to be an in-season alternate cap, what jersey do you pair it with? They already have alternate caps for both black jerseys...and much as I'd like to see it consigned to the ash heap of history, the "O's" cap isn't going anywhere.  Do you wear this at home only with the orange jersey only? Inquiring minds and suchnot. 

2 minutes ago, M59 said:

There's so much here that doesn't make sense. That's by no means the "OG" bird. (Unless, of course, you think the team was founded in 1989.) And if this is going to be an in-season alternate cap, what jersey do you pair it with? They already have alternate caps for both black jerseys...and much as I'd like to see it consigned to the ash heap of history, the "O's" cap isn't going anywhere.  Do you wear this at home only with the orange jersey only? Inquiring minds and suchnot. 

I'd guess sunday alternate with the white jersey. Similar to what the Cardinals do with their bird on a bat hat

• Like 1

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

2 minutes ago, MNtwins3 said:

I'd guess sunday alternate with the white jersey. Similar to what the Cardinals do with their bird on a bat hat

If they're going to do it, that would make some sense. My guess is this winds up as an ST only cap...but I've been wrong before! (Many times daily, if you ask my wife.)

Edited by M59
Corrected a misread of the post I'm replying to.
  • LOL 1

3 hours ago, LMU said:

False.  At least Nippon-Ham went with something that Shinsuke Nakamura could easily pull off.  The Philly travesty is just a horrible Gothic font combined with a bleach stain on the front and back.

I can totally see The King of Strong Style wearing that while losing another title match and punching AJ Styles in the dick.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

You guys know how whenever you read about sports uniform history there's these little anecdotes here or there about how certain uniform elements came to be? 

For example, Vince Dooley picked the oval G and silver britches at UGA. Paul Brown literally brought the Bengals helmets with him to Cincinnati, from Cleveland. The Rams horns were hand-painted on a few helmets, looked good, eventually became standard. 

Point is, for decades, if not a century, sports uniforms were designed and built for sports teams, by the sports people affiliated with the sports teams. In any case, there were usually only a few people making decisions on how the team uniform would look. 

That Phillies "City Connect" shows how far away we are from that. It's the same with the nonsesne Nike has done with the NFL, the NBA, and now baseball. There's layers upon layers of marketing people and just straight up MONEY PEOPLE  who have no reverence for what makes a good sports uniform and are only concerned about 1) selling MORE 2) infiltrating new demographics to SELL MORE. 

That's how we are getting junk like this. They're getting handed a checklist of mandates for a new uniform to hit the shelves based off lifeless market research and spitting out whatever checks those boxes, regardless of whether it resembles anything worthy of these franchises or not. 

I feel the same way about the WASHINGTON road jerseys. In what scenario did that change take place other than someone just saying, "based on our research, we need a road jersey that isn't similar to the home jersey because the road jersey isn't selling and that is our hypothesis as to why." When in reality, road jerseys just don't sell as well as home jerseys, and certainly just slapping a generic WalMart font on your road jersey to check the box of "have it be different!" isn't going to help it sell more. 

But these people are THIS disconnected from the final product. It's all numbers, checklists, over-generalized market research intended to attempt to get attention from people who don't pay attention to baseball. And in the process, you're annoying your fans who actually like baseball. Makes the term "City Connect" seem rather ironic. These people can't be more disconnected.

That Phillies jersey is a complete piece of junk

• Like 7

The Phillies CC takes the cake for worst in all of baseball. Holy sh** is that thing ugly. I’m tired of teams not looking like themselves. Some alternates are fun here or there but the City Connects that deviate too far from a team’s identity always fall flat. And that gradient? My gosh, that is abysmal. I don’t think gradients should be anywhere near the playing field, but they didn’t even attempt to give it a gradual transition. It goes straight from light blue to dark blue (or black, idk, I’m color blind) right about the midsection. It would still be horrible, but less so, if they gradually transitioned those colors across a bigger area.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

The Phillies CC takes the cake for worst in all of baseball. Holy sh** is that thing ugly. I’m tired of teams not looking like themselves. Some alternates are fun here or there but the City Connects that deviate too far from a team’s identity always fall flat. And that gradient? My gosh, that is abysmal. I don’t think gradients should be anywhere near the playing field, but they didn’t even attempt to give it a gradual transition. It goes straight from light blue to dark blue (or black, idk, I’m color blind) right about the midsection. It would still be horrible, but less so, if they gradually transitioned those colors across a bigger area.

In avoiding talking about what I don't like about it, I didn't get to talk about that. I actually don't mind gradients in certain instances (the Falcons' gradient jersey was one of my guilty pleasures, and I don't think the gradient aspect of the Rams' numbers is all that bad either), but it really is just so abrupt on that jersey. I'd genuinely rather it just be two separate colors than to feign a gradient like that.

• Like 2

I really wish the people that made sports jerseys were actual jersey manufacturers and not third-rate wannabe hypebeast apparel designers.

• Like 4

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

That jersey really looks like something FUBU or someone would have released in the early 2000s.

There's no way of knowing that's a Phillies jersey. There are other city connects where it's hard to tell what team it is at first glance, but this might be the worst offender. Some of these stray way too far from the teams branding.

Like if you do that in team colors or even the throwback colors, it's still bad, but it's at least recognizably the Phillies. I bet most people don't even know it's based off the city flag. It's not like Philadelphia has a known or iconic flag like say Chicago or (I know it's a state) Maryland. It just seems lazy.

• Like 3