MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

17 hours ago, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

spacer.png

Just noticing the pattern within the stripes, kinda like I was imagining tbh (previous post).

• Like 3

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

18 hours ago, ptay said:

Wow is this a City Connect with actual team colors?

1 hour ago, LEWJ said:

Nicely done, but I’m sure I’m just overly-relieved to see team colors

I’m really not sure where the idea that the City Connects haven’t used team colors comes from.

Of the 24 City Connects that have been released so far, and including Cleveland, 16 of them use team colors of either the primary set or a throwback. That’s nearly 2/3.

Of the ones I didn’t include, many of them use at least some of one of the team’s main colors (Colorado, Kansas City, Texas).

The only designs that don’t really have any semblance of a regular team color are Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, & the Mets. That accounts for less than 1/5 of the designs we’ve seen so far.

The City Connects have done a better job at sticking to the primary brand than people seem willing to give them credit for, especially compared to the NBA. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I’m really not sure where the idea that the City Connects haven’t used team colors comes from.

Of the 24 City Connects that have been released so far, and including Cleveland, 16 of them use team colors of either the primary set or a throwback. That’s nearly 2/3.

Of the ones I didn’t include, many of them use at least some of one of the team’s main colors (Colorado, Kansas City, Texas).

The only designs that don’t really have any semblance of a regular team color are Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, & the Mets. That accounts for less than 1/5 of the designs we’ve seen so far.

The City Connects have done a better job at sticking to the primary brand than people seem willing to give them credit for, especially compared to the NBA. 

And that’s my TedTalk

joking aside, I can be relieved. Even if it had been just Boston that strayed from team colors, I can still be relieved.  Was that not enough of a “wtf?!” 😅

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

We have a sighting of the Brewers pinstripes last night!

St. Louis Cardinals v Milwaukee Brewers

With that, this is all the regularly worn uniforms that have yet to appear. 

Angels City Connect (Which they wore seemingly a scattershot of Sundays, Mondays, and Fridays)

Cubs City Connect (Which they wore home Fridays)

Milwaukee City Connect (Which they wore home Fridays)

St. Louis Cream and Powder Blue

San Francisco City Connect (Which they wore home Tuesdays

A lot of City Connects.  I can't tell if they're just waiting on the factory for those or if the teams dropped them.  Angels would be weird to drop so quickly, but I don't know if the team wants to forget anything from the Ohtani era.  Of course, that would be a mistake, but... hey... it's the Angels.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 5/10/2024 at 3:06 PM, Krona said:

I think you're being generous. I feel like this whole thing has been a pretty big failure. 

I think you need to look at merch sales before you can call anything related to the City Connect program a failure.

• Like 2
  • Eyeroll 1

45 minutes ago, 655321 said:

I think you need to look at merch sales before you can call anything related to the City Connect program a failure.

d3dff8eb-1516-4bce-b29b-c4a6e4774a22_tex

I honestly enjoyed the Nike scarcity of the first month as it forced a lot more white vs gray matchups than it feels like we've seen in years.  I don't want to program to come anywhere near my team.  But it really seems like the vast majority of the designs have really caught fire in their markets.  They've... connected with the city.  And getting bought up by the fans are a record of how successful it's been.

Plus, you know, the entire point of it being "Hubba hubba hubba, money money money."

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

4 hours ago, LEWJ said:

I love them (re: Guardians)

They’ve silently done a fantastic job of trying in art-deco themes and symbols without going over-the-top. At least in my opinion. I have been a big fan of the social media graphics and the like. I’m cautiously-hopeful some elements make an appearance on the primary uniforms at some point. Although, I could see them avoiding certain elements in fear of them appearing “tribal”.

Nicely done, but I’m sure I’m just overly-relieved to see team colors 😅

I think as long as they keep any art-deco adornments tonal rather than contrasting colors, they'll be able to slip those details in without them giving off a tribal vibe. Also, of course I have no reason to follow the Guard, but after seeing those social links...their graphics team is doing some sharp work with the art Deco theming!

3 hours ago, LEWJ said:

And that’s my TedTalk

joking aside, I can be relieved. Even if it had been just Boston that strayed from team colors, I can still be relieved.  Was that not enough of a “wtf?!” 😅

I think the Boston CC probably most hits at what Nike's intention was with this whole program...be something starkly (?) different while still emphasizing—that is, connecting—with some element of the city. (That's also probably why it was first to release.) The only other one I've seen come close to that stark a contrast is San Diego's. (Unless you count the Natinals' cherry blossoms.) I could also say Tampa Bay, except the CC is highly inspired by their inaugural look, so that doesn't really count.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I really hate that the legacy teams bought into this.  By "legacy", I'm referring to teams that have not only been in existence for >100 years, but have also had an iconic-stable identity for the overwhelming majority of that duration.  Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and maybe one or two that I'm forgetting (I do not consider the Reds or Phillies in this category, partially due to having drastically changing looks a few times (or, once, in the PHilies case) but also moving from traditional parks into the new-fangles astroturf multi-purpose domes.  That counts against you.  They've also each gone through phases of irrelevancy, whereas the other bona fide legacy tams are relevant regardless of record. I'd probalby count the Cubs as 'legacy'.  Maybe Tigers, though the irrelevancy factor gets to them.  Maybe Cardinals.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Much like the Detroit "Mustang stripe" showing up across three leagues that wear uniforms from the same creator, we now have the LA fashion tag on both the Rams and Dodgers. 

Wonder if this city-centric design trope stuff pops up more. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Dodgers City Connect leak? This is from the same guy who leaked the Mets and Tigers caps.

I feel dumb for trying to make sense of that hashtag and my brain's first pass at it being "It's The 🤬in' DiamondBacks" before immediately realizing what it actually is.

What's with the birthday cake ice cream speckles?  I'm honestly shocked they just haven't gone the way the Clippers went. 

los_angeles_clippers_logo_jersey_2023_sportslogosnet-3516.png

Do they have a large segment of the fanbase that would be alienated by such a design?

It just seems like Los Angeles has so much culture and the Dodgers are on their way to whiffing again, but there may be references here that go over my head because I'm not a local.  I do like the LAD logo.

• Like 2

spacer.png

spacer.png

After seeing the full set I still feel the same way these stripes need to be part of every Guardians uniform now. Probably the only City Connect design aspect I'd want brought over to a team's main identity.

cleveland-guardians-city-connect-uniform

Even if they switch them to run horizontal on the white, red, gray and navy jersey sleeves. I don't care. It just needs to be included. 

• Like 11

Ok, definitely needing to wade through the Nike speak on the Dodgers’ leak because as a life-long Angeleno, at first glance I have no idea where they were going with this. Then again, I still don’t get where the black trim on version 1 came from.

45 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I feel dumb for trying to make sense of that hashtag and my brain's first pass at it being "It's The 🤬in' DiamondBacks" before immediately realizing what it actually is.

What's with the birthday cake ice cream speckles?  I'm honestly shocked they just haven't gone the way the Clippers went. 

Do they have a large segment of the fanbase that would be alienated by such a design?

It just seems like Los Angeles has so much culture and the Dodgers are on their way to whiffing again, but there may be references here that go over my head because I'm not a local.  I do like the LAD logo.

The hashtag is the one thing that’s obvious considering it references Vin Scully’s most famous catchphrase.

And, yes, old English look is definitely targeting a certain portion of the fanbase that other portions aren’t thrilled to be grouped with. Especially for the Dodgers since it’s targeting the type that tend to assault people in the parking lots.

VmWIn6B.png

40 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Not totally sold on the jersey design as a whole, but that hybrid LA/script “D” logo is pretty sharp.

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Dodgers City Connect leak? This is from the same guy who leaked the Mets and Tigers caps.

So...intergalactic paintball? Okie-dokes...

56 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

After seeing the full set I still feel the same way these stripes need to be part of every Guardians uniform now. Probably the only City Connect design aspect I'd want brought over to a team's main identity.

cleveland-guardians-city-connect-uniform

Even if they switch them to run horizontal on the white, red, gray and navy jersey sleeves. I don't care. It just needs to be included. 

Alright, THESE just moved up to the top of the Best CCs list. Minnesota, your move...

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

These cupcakes are really gonna wear birthday cake sprinkles on the field lol 

NYCdog.png