MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

23 hours ago, adsarebad said:

So if the New York Yankees  changes name and uniforms, they are still the same team?

Not only did the Yankees originate as the Baltimore Orioles of the old Western League in those days before the American League formed, but the team was nicknamed the “Highlanders” when they first played in New York. I know, nicknames back then were not official (and in fact, often came from the newspaper writers), but they have had a different nickname, even in the same city.

And people also forget that the Yankees have changed their uniforms, too. One of my favorite trivia facts is that Babe Ruth never wore the traditional Yankees home uniform during his playing career with the team (you can often find post-playing photos of Ruth in the traditional home uniform). But when Ruth was playing for the Yankees, the home uniforms were merely plain white pinstripes, and there was no NY insignia on the jersey.

So, does this mean, in your thinking, that Ruth played for a different team than Yogi Berra, Mickey Mantle, Don Mattingly, and Derek Jeter?

• Like 6

4 hours ago, AnPheitseog said:

In a sport with a Baltimore team, you'd need to exclude BWI because that's Baltimore. Despite being a popular choice for people in the region. Point stands though.

I was just listing the airports one would use to fly into Washington, and the W is "Washington", but I'd mentioned how few airport codes are actually used, and it makes sense since so many of the most famous ones don't line up with the city name at all.  It's unlikely.  Better to just go with DC.

2 hours ago, GhostOfNormMacdonald said:

I'll recognize the Guardians as a different team when the Wild gets its North Stars history back

The voice I read this in:

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • LOL 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Do people from the DMV area not realize that most of the rest of us think of the Department of Motor Vehicles when we see DMV?

As a former DMV resident and soon-to-be-returning part-timer, I can assure you that people out there care not one iota what any of the rest of us think about their acronym. 😁

(That doesn't diminish the truth of your point, however.)

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3 minutes ago, Klondyke said:

Maybe someone here will know, have the Angels worn any type of throwback since their "LA" rebrand 20 years ago?

Every now and then they break out the throwbacks for a game or two.

I think during the 50th anniversary season they wore throwbacks quite a bit.

58 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Isn't the quality of the driving notoriously bad in the DMV area?

Well, on one hand, yes, it is. But it's not widespread. I know what a lot of that issue is, but I don't want to set off too many trigger warnings in here. 🙃

That said, shouts out to the three states that I'm aware of that label what everyone else knows as the DMV something else: Texas and South Dakota calling it the DPS (Department of Public Safety) and Indiana calling it the BMV (Bureau of Motor Vehicles)...

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

48 minutes ago, Klondyke said:

Maybe someone here will know, have the Angels worn any type of throwback since their "LA" rebrand 20 years ago?

44 minutes ago, tohasbo said:

Every now and then they break out the throwbacks for a game or two.

I think during the 50th anniversary season they wore throwbacks quite a bit.

They're worn plenty of throwbacks since the name changes.

During their 50th they wore multiple throwbacks over the course of the season (the California Angels version of the halo-hat and the Disney jerseys were not invited). IIRC from back then, each throwback era got a month and the related jersey was worn on Friday home games in said month.

cc1c1436bb3d8e5b607c48ee4cddaf41.jpg

Outside of the 50th, they've worn their '70s-'80s throwbacks a decent amount (especially in recent years), the '60s LA halo-hat at least once and even PCL "throwbacks" for good measure. The '70s-'80s throwbacks are supposed to be back this year too.

IbjBaeE.png

2 hours ago, tBBP said:

That said, shouts out to the three states that I'm aware of that label what everyone else knows as the DMV something else: Texas and South Dakota calling it the DPS (Department of Public Safety) and Indiana calling it the BMV (Bureau of Motor Vehicles)...

Illinois calls it the DMV but the signs all just said "SECRETARY OF STATE JESSE WHITE" and each location had like 16 portraits of him all watching over you like Kim Jong Illinois.

Jesse White: A Man of Many Portraits | WBEZ Chicago

• LOL 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I... for one... am shocked that the people behind this design have never skateboarded.

Dynamic Dudes | Online World of Wrestling

• LOL 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I am not sure how St. Louis does it, but it is the town of NO LEAKS. The St. Louis City away kit failed to leak and now the Cardinals City Connect is not leaking. 

1 hour ago, BC985 said:

I am not sure how St. Louis does it, but it is the town of NO LEAKS. The St. Louis City away kit failed to leak and now the Cardinals City Connect is not leaking. 

• LOL 2

33 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Those look real to me. I think it would be hard to photoshop the new script and subtle pinstripes faithfully on all three models without a slip up somewhere. The jersey mostly feels like a standard alternate until you read the script. The cap feels somewhat disjointed from the rest, but as far as City Connects go, these are good. They still look like the Cards.

The zig zag pins are definitely taken from the city flag.

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aawagner011 said:

Those look real to me. I think it would be hard to photoshop the new script and subtle pinstripes faithfully on all three models without a slip up somewhere. The jersey mostly feels like a standard alternate until you read the script. The cap feels somewhat disjointed from the rest, but as far as City Connects go, these are good. They still look like the Cards.

Yep, they’re real. Here’s a good look at the sleeve patch, which is really nice:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tBBP said:

Well, on one hand, yes, it is. But it's not widespread. I know what a lot of that issue is, but I don't want to set off too many trigger warnings in here. 🙃

Funnily enough, the Australia-based fandom podcast had a dozen-or-so weeks straight where people from Virginia, Delaware, Maryland, and Pennsylvania wrote in a letter accusing one of the other states of having the worst drivers.

It was easy in the Northeast.  It's all Floridians as the worst.  Although for some reason nobody with Jersey plates understood the concept of the slow and fast lane system.

31 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I would be happy with this, but am surprised how little arch and black there is.  Anyone have any idea what that is on the sleeve?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Don’t love “The Lou”. I’d also like to see more blue, maybe a blue hat with a red brim. The STL font needs to either be on both the jersey and the hat or neither. I do like the wavy pinstripes. Overall, not bad, could be better. I’m not sure if I’d rather see white or red pants

• Like 2