2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

48 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

I also wish the team would go with “Salt Lake” rather than “Utah.” I understand that Utah probably has a wider appeal for the target audience, but Salt Lake just sounds better imo. 

I prefer Salt Lake as well, but the funding bill for the arena upgrades, etc. require any team to use the "Utah" moniker. 

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Took a singular marketing class during my undergrad. We actually had a small section on team names from the 90's (along with general trends). The reason for all the 'wacky' names in the 90's is because a few specialty marketing/graphic design firms did market research on sports team names and almost solely focused on young, male children.  Typically, the people who were coming up with these names and designs had little interest or understanding of sports culture. Many of the names of those teams have been changed since (Bobcats, KC Wiz, Wash Wiz branding, Dallas Burn, etc)

General attitude has shifted after some backlash to some of those names. Now more specialty firms that understand the sports and more traditional names  (see the MLS trend of everyone taking the "FC" name route). 

I have zero clue to who Utah is soliciting for its branding and names, but it generally reeks of the same issue sports teams had in the 90's

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

"Black Diamonds" is better than some of the names there like "Powder" or "Venom", but thats still a really low bar. I'm surprised its getting love here. 

I've always thought Black Diamonds would be a good name for a sports team in a mountainous area. It's unique without being too amateur sounding, and diamond shapes/patterns are incredibly underused in sports. Even in baseball, a sport played on a diamond with a team called the Diamondbacks, there aren't any diamond logos aside from the White Sox secondary that they hardly use.

11 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Powder? POWDER? 

Someone went to college for four years, earned a marketing degree, got a job with a high buck agency, and tossed that on the table.  Amazing.  Simply amazing.

• Like 1

Here's the poll as of the time of this post:

PkVeWne.jpeg

So like I proclaimed before, the name is going to be already is Yeti(s)...

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Thanks

12 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Here's the poll as of the time of this post:

PkVeWne.jpeg

So like I proclaimed before, the name is going to be already is Yeti(s)...

Thanks. I'd be curious to track this as it gets closer to closing time to see if anyone makes a mysterious rise up the charts 😉

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

"Utahyeti" sounds like some Jersey English corruption of an Italian word. Gabagool! Marrone!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Thanks

Thanks. I'd be curious to track this as it gets closer to closing time to see if anyone makes a mysterious rise up the charts 😉

The name I’m looking at to make that mysterious jump is Venom, personally.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that deliberately bad names like Squall, Powder, Blast, etc. were put in there to expedite the voting process.

We’ll see what names move on, though I wonder how many get whittled with each round. Will be 10, then 4, then 2, or what?

Edited by DustDevil61
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Klondyke said:

I have zero clue to who Utah is soliciting for its branding and names, but it generally reeks of the same issue sports teams had in the 90's

The fans and names suggested in the first survey asking for suggestions, so likely why it sounds like what happened in the 90's. People with no clue offering their opinions of what sounds cool to them

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, McCall said:

Not know basic grammar?🤷‍♂️

It's a message board....  Sometimes you type things quickly and make mistakes, there's no need to be a dick about it.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Dislike 2

It seems like the voting has dried up on the poll - which I'm sure is similar of the official poll too. So having watched it a bit, here are some thoughts/observations.
-SEG may as well skip to  a final four for the next vote. Yeti, Outlaws, Mammoth, and Blizzard are getting more than 50% of the vote. I don't see where, for example, Hive will suddenly be a contender because Fury got dropped.

-That said, looking at the top 8 you have some fun matchups: Yeti vs Fury, Outlaws vs Swarm, Mammoth vs Mountaineers, Blizzard vs Black Diamonds.

-Yeti has really struggled to reach and maintain a 3% lead. At last check it's back under that threshold. It makes me wonder if it picks up a lot of people's 4th place votes rather than their 1st. I'm curious to see how things would change in a single vote environment. In general though, if I was trying to astroturf this stuff for Yeti (which I *do* believe is happening), I'd be quite disappointed that it didn't show any particular dominance.

-Mammoth moved from around 6th to 3rd in the few days the poll has been open. Blizzard was once dominantly in third. Maybe Mammoth voters just sleep later.

• Applause 1

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE