2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

3 minutes ago, VikWings said:

The Kings update is a fine modernization and I'm glad it's back as the primary. There's no doubt in my mind we'll see that crown on a 3rd jersey eventually. Let's just hope it's purple.

This would actually be annoying because the crown on the logo is silver and black.

Just make the silver and black crown the jersey logo and the primary logo can be the full Chevy bowtie.

A minor thing that bothers me is I don’t think the wordmark is centered in the box because of the speed lines.

The 1989 logo did a better job at centering but the speed lines overlapped the outlines. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

15 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

Am I the only one who prefers the angle and font of the original?

At any rate it's a huge improvement over that dated pencil-point logo.

Old angle yes, but I like this font. This logo is like a mashup of different eras.

spacer.png

Last updated 8/9

2 hours ago, alecgoff said:

GQj-F72la0-AAh-V3d-format-jpg-name-4096x

I don't know, but for me new font look kinda childish, because of roundess edges. Old one was more sharp, which look better imo.

I hope they not gonna reinventing a wheel with uniforms and use current alternare for away (with new crest) and for home just flipping black with white.  Alternatively stick with current, but without pipelines and fixed hem on home.

Of course chrome helmets must be ditched.

• Like 1

4r2eer.png

5 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

I see what you're saying about the font, but being the Kings sort of entitles them to a more "stately" typeface than sports teams can usually get away with.

The original 1967-75 wordmark was stately. The new font is corporate and bland.

• Like 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

8 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

spacer.png

What a beautiful secondary mark. Here's hoping this gets used on a jersey sometime soon. 

This is my favourite part of the Kings' rebrand. I'm still on Team Purple/Forum Blue & Yellow-Gold but if the Kings make the recoloured classic crown the main jersey crest, it will be their best-ever black, silver and white uniform.

While I hope for the return of purple, white and yellow-gold as a future 3rd, it wouldn't hurt the Kings to try purple and silver with no black. Purple for royalty, original beginnings and Marcel Dionne era and silver & white for the Gretzky-era and championship eras. If an overwhelming number of fans love it, promote it to full-time.

Amazing how after 50+ years they still don't have a proper crown logo...  All of them have been unnecessarily fussy, over-decorated and not very evocative of "Kings."  The one they used here has always looked like something more geared towards a Queen, especially compared to the crown it just replaced . 

Missed opportunity to come up with something new that finally fixes these issues.  They would be better served with something really simple since it's only a small part of the logo.

55 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

Amazing how after 50+ years they still don't have a proper crown logo...  All of them have been unnecessarily fussy, over-decorated and not very evocative of "Kings."  The one they used here has always looked like something more geared towards a Queen, especially compared to the crown it just replaced . 

Missed opportunity to come up with something new that finally fixes these issues.  They would be better served with something really simple since it's only a small part of the logo.

Doesn't it vary depending on the country? I know the UK has different crowns used for different occasions and I think the king and/or queen can even pick based on their preference as well. I'm not sure if LA was really focused on specifically modeling theirs after another country's crown(s) or just simply going by the generic concept of a crown (it could likely be the latter).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Morgan33 said:

King Charles Wears the Imperial State Crown for 2023 State Opening of  Parliament - See PhotosFile:Crown of George XII of Georgia.jpeg - Wikimedia CommonsFavorite Crown #3: The Tudor Crown. | European Royal Historyundefinedundefinedundefined

Dunno, looks like a pretty standard crown inspired by those worn by kings across multiple nations and eras

• Like 6

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

2 hours ago, MDGP said:

King Charles Wears the Imperial State Crown for 2023 State Opening of  Parliament - See PhotosFile:Crown of George XII of Georgia.jpeg - Wikimedia CommonsFavorite Crown #3: The Tudor Crown. | European Royal Historyundefinedundefinedundefined

Dunno, looks like a pretty standard crown inspired by those worn by kings across multiple nations and eras

I also remember an interview from the OG designer saying he just got the sketch from a random book and did not realize it was a Queen's crown till years later (which was one of the reasons the crown with the purple jerseys was changed). In saying that, your point is valid, as many nations had crowns like the one in the logo that were not gendered. I am sure the designers on this go did their research on this

Is there any font experts that can speak to what the designer of the new Chevy logo is referencing when he says 'the old 90's font of the logo created too many issues"?? Typography has never really been my thing. When I design something, I usually just borrow fonts from whatever is trendy. I know there is theory to it

Sure, there are many examples of Kings crowns that have been ornately decorated.  For me it's the odd shape of the crown, how it bulges outward to such a degree, that makes it look less "kingly" than the examples @MDGP posted here.  Of those images, the crown in the middle top row would make for an excellent logo.

10 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

Am I the only one who prefers the angle and font of the original?

At any rate it's a huge improvement over that dated pencil-point logo.

I like the newer version. The angle of the old one was too much and it felt frail especially without the thickness that they have now.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

9 hours ago, MDGP said:

Jack Kent Cooke specifically based the original logo after the St. Edward's Crown.

800px-Saint_Edward's_Crown.jpg

• Like 3

VmWIn6B.png

13 hours ago, pepis21 said:

I don't know, but for me new font look kinda childish, because of roundess edges. Old one was more sharp, which look better imo.

I hope they not gonna reinventing a wheel with uniforms and use current alternare for away (with new crest) and for home just flipping black with white.  Alternatively stick with current, but without pipelines and fixed hem on home.

Of course chrome helmets must be ditched.

Apparently the uniforms are going to be closer to the Gretzky throwbacks than the previous alternates. I do hope we get the sleeve numbers inside the stripes again.

• Like 2