2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

19 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

And there it is! Nice update to the original.

Always preferred them in black and purple, but oh well.

As a fan, I am a fan.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

VmWIn6B.png

3 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

It didn't use the same colors across home and away and those hockey sticks were anything but "visually appealing"

I feel like the idea of a Duck-Shaped goalie mask over some hockey sticks was/is neat, but yeah that old logo definitely had its issues, and not using the same colors was hardly the worst part. The THICK outline of the beak and sticks, that was only outside of the triangle was awful. 

This updated definitely keeps the fun spirit of the original, but finally has matching keystrokes, and better rendered sticks. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Something about the updated font for the new Kings logo doesn't click right with me and I don't know how to explain it outside of just something personally with me. Still, it'll certainly look better on the jerseys again than the pencil tip logo did by default and if the Kings finally have matching hemstripes across home and away I'll be content

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

It didn't use the same colors across home and away

Neither do the Flames, Maple Leafs, Stars, Lightning, Canucks, Blues...

8 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

It's quite different. The Flames and Oilers went back to what they won championships in, the Kings went back to what Wayne Gretzky wore, and the Coyotes went back to what they looked like before the dumbest bankruptcy of all time. The Ducks went wild with the paint-bucket tool and turned into traffic cones with attitude

2 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

brought back or updated

is what I said. Like the O6 which have tweaked their logos over time. Or the Sharks, Preds, and just now the Kings who have modernised theirs. Or the Sabres who brought back their classic look with subtle adjustments.

• Applause 1

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

16 minutes ago, SavardToColton said:

Something about the updated font for the new Kings logo doesn't click right with me and I don't know how to explain it outside of just something personally with me. Still, it'll certainly look better on the jerseys again than the pencil tip logo did by default and if the Kings finally have matching hemstripes across home and away I'll be content

I really like the new font! It feels like something new, but something they could have been using all along.

I'm still not crazy about "the Chevy logo," conceptually speaking. I think the nickname gets to why: it winds up looking really close to a very famous car logo. And it wasn't until I saw some of the non-sweater primaries from the years before that I actually understood how it came to be, which was by taking the banner from a fanfare trumpet and superimposing the Lakersesque script over it, and when you outlined the whole thing as one device, it accidentally created the Chevrolet logo. But all that's to say that a standalone crown will always make a better crest for the Kings than anything, no matter what Gretzky lost to the Habs in.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, wildwing64 said:

And there it is! Nice update to the original.

Always preferred them in black and purple, but oh well.

The perfect correction.  This feels like healing.

This is a nice update for the Kings! It would be great to see the crown logo front and center, but I do get playing off the Gretzky-era look. They also did a great job explaining their design choices. 

Two years in the making in terms of development, the reveal of the Kings brand evolution is highlighted by the team’s new primary logo.  The new primary mark for the Kings draws inspiration from the classic 1988 logo -- which debuted in 1988 at the same time the Kings acquired Wayne Gretzky -- yet incorporates subtle differences that modernize the design.

Meticulously hand-drawn, this logo reflects elements from all eras of Kings hockey. The overall shape has been expanded by widening the vertical section, providing space for a larger “LOS ANGELES” text and a more prominent crown. This increased width also mirrors the most previous logo shape.

Additionally, the horizontal portion has been heightened, allowing room for the centerpiece: The heavier-weighted “KINGS” text with speedlines. The font is thicker and slightly less italicized. While the number of speedlines has been reduced, their thickness has increased, and each speedline is unique in length and shape. The white drop shadow on the “KINGS” text now falls on the left side, enhancing the sense of movement from left to right, and the font for the words “LOS ANGELES” and “KINGS” were changed to increase legibility.

There’s none of that “each speed line represents the X number of the X number of things about the Spirit of Los Angeles blah blah blah”

It’s literally just because it looks better, which is always a great explanation haha. 

• Like 4

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

20 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

I really like the new font! It feels like something new, but something they could have been using all along.

I'm still not crazy about "the Chevy logo," conceptually speaking. I think the nickname gets to why: it winds up looking really close to a very famous car logo. And it wasn't until I saw some of the non-sweater primaries from the years before that I actually understood how it came to be, which was by taking the banner from a fanfare trumpet and superimposing the Lakersesque script over it, and when you outlined the whole thing as one device, it accidentally created the Chevrolet logo. But all that's to say that a standalone crown will always make a better crest for the Kings than anything, no matter what Gretzky lost to the Habs in.

I guess the font issue is just my brain being used to seeing the old font all these years more than anything "wrong" with the design which there's not.

I 100% agree with you that a standalone crown would have been better though of course

The new crown is good, certainly an upgrade from the 1998 one. The font belongs on a life insurance brochure, not a sports team's logo. And I'm still not a fan of the auto emblem aesthetic or the black and silver color scheme. Overall it's a mixed bag.

• Like 2

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 hour ago, steve61 said:

Until today I never really noticed that the Kings and Lakers both have the same style streaks on their logos.  

Jack Kent Cooke owned both teams. The kings had purple and gold first since those were colors of royalty then he changed the Lakers to match the Kings colors. A few years later the Kings changed their logo to be similar font to the Lakers. Now purple and gold is more associated with the Lakers while the Kings switched to silver and black to jump on board with the popularity of the LA Raiders at the time.

iuzdk8tqrm1jrqg6bhfwjpgnq.png
los_angeles_lakers_logo_primary_1972_spo

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Ark said:

Why won't they just go to purple/forum blue and yellow

Because Luc Robitaille is in charge.

• Like 1

VmWIn6B.png