24 MLB Season Thread

Gary

The NL West right now 👀

The Padres and Diamondbacks are tied for the Wild Card Lead and 3 games back from the Dodgers. Also the last two series the Dbacks have taken down the league leaders in wins. Plus have a good chance at tying the West.

On 8/9/2024 at 11:00 AM, TrueYankee26 said:

Good point. Gotta hand it to them they are trying hard to beat the A's in the who is the worst run team in baseball department

Another angle of the setup 

this is going to be interesting

Zack Hample is going to be there isn't he?

10 hours ago, Gary said:

The NL West right now 👀

The Padres and Diamondbacks are tied for the Wild Card Lead and 3 games back from the Dodgers. Also the last two series the Dbacks have taken down the league leaders in wins. Plus have a good chance at tying the West.

Not only that, the collapsing-shat-bag Phillies are headed to the wild card round as the 3 seed, and barring some miraculous turnaround, are facing a first-round out.  Worst football collapse I've ever seen followed by the worst baseball collapse.  If I was a big Sixers or Flyers fan, I'd be terrified.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Not only that, the collapsing-shat-bag Phillies are headed to the wild card round as the 3 seed, and barring some miraculous turnaround, are facing a first-round out.  Worst football collapse I've ever seen followed by the worst baseball collapse.  If I was a big Sixers or Flyers fan, I'd be terrified.

The Phils are 7.5 games up on the struggling Braves.🤨

4 minutes ago, McCall said:

The Phils are 7.5 games up on the struggling Braves.🤨

What's your point?  That  will make them the 3 seed and put them in the WC round against some surging team that'll probably beat them.  From going from the clear best record and top overall seed well into July to the WC round and 1st-round out is pretty damning.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

22 minutes ago, BBTV said:

What's your point?  That  will make them the 3 seed and put them in the WC round against some surging team that'll probably beat them.  From going from the clear best record and top overall seed well into July to the WC round and 1st-round out is pretty damning.

Misread that as 3rd wild card.

• Like 1

Jarren Duran has been the unofficial captain of the moderately-good-vibes on this slightly overachieving Red Sox team, but he's got himself suspended for calling a fan a "f--ing f--got" while going up to bat. Candidly, should have been a longer suspension. He's blossomed into a great player but I worry, between this and his anti-vax situation in '21 ... we need a stat that's Wins Above Replacement but sub out Wins for Toxic Self-Sabotaging.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 8/8/2024 at 6:45 PM, FrutigerAero said:

It's crazy how big this is. Does anyone know why this isn't considered a stadium?

Because it's a race track would be my guess.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Reds sweep the Cardinals and are now tied for second in the NL Central. I was checked out for about month because they were frustrating and the Olympics were happening, but I might have to jump back into baseball. 

In one of the most Cardinalsy stats I've ever seen, their run differential is -63 while the Reds is +55 and the two teams have identical 60-61 records. Stupid sport. 

If they finish 82-80 it'll be their fourth winning season in the last five years. Let me tell you why that's funny (or sad. Depending on your point of view) - It'll be their fourth winning season in five years and their record in that time would be 28 games UNDER .500 with one playoff appearance to show for it - The 2020 COVID NIT when the league expanded the field and they wouldn't have made it in under normal rules. They played more games (2) than runs scored (0). Being that consistently mediocre sandwiched around a 100 loss season is a hard feat to accomplish. I'm almost rooting for it. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Is there a less-remarkable remarkable thing than hitting for the cycle?  It's just a cool statistical thing that happens every now and then, it's not an accomplishment or something anyone should strive for.  Celebrating a cycle is dumb.

• Eyeroll 1

30 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Is there a less-remarkable remarkable thing than hitting for the cycle?  It's just a cool statistical thing that happens every now and then, it's not an accomplishment or something anyone should strive for.  Celebrating a cycle is dumb.

So is complaining about a cycle.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BBTV said:

I mean, It's fine to celebrate while acknowledging that it's a complete fluke and more often than not it only happens because of a bad bounce off an outfield wall or a really bad defensive read that allows for the triple.  To me, it's in the same realm as a combined no-hitter in that yes, it's a thing but it's much more due to an offense being completely inept on a given day as opposed to being a pitching magnum opus,  Same with a triple play which is 99% of the time just due to hitting to the wrong spot with a couple runners on base.

• Like 1

VmWIn6B.png

34 minutes ago, LMU said:

I mean, It's fine to celebrate while acknowledging that it's a complete fluke and more often than not it only happens because of a bad bounce off an outfield wall or a really bad defensive read that allows for the triple. 

Exactly. It's an uncommon stat line and should be treated as such, but it's not some supernatural event.

To me, it's in the same realm as a combined no-hitter in that yes, it's a thing but it's much more due to an offense being completely inept on a given day as opposed to being a pitching magnum opus

Why do we even bother with combined no-hitters? Every pitcher on an MLB roster is capable of throwing a couple innings without giving up a hit. Is three or four pitchers having a few solid innings in the same game really something to celebrate?

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

I was at Elly De La Cruz's cycle last year against the Braves. It's a goofy quirk, but they're fun because it means the guy had at least a 4 hit game and it doesn't happen very often. Here's why I was gassed up as he rounded second and slid into third:

- I've been to hundreds of MLB games and never seen a rare feat like that. I think the closest I've ever come to witnessing a no-hitter was broken up in the 6th.  

- The Reds hadn't had a player hit for the cycle since 1988 so I'd literally never seen it happen before. 

- De La Cruz needed a triple to complete the cycle and then hit one. Nobody hits a triple on purpose, but it felt like he did it at will. Also I was sitting right by third base so I had a great view of him make the decision to go to third and then tear through second to get there. 

• Like 5

PvO6ZWJ.png

18 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Exactly. It's an uncommon stat line and should be treated as such, but it's not some supernatural event.

Why do we even bother with combined no-hitters? Every pitcher on an MLB roster is capable of throwing a couple innings without giving up a hit. Is three or four pitchers having a few solid innings in the same game really something to celebrate?

Three or four pitchers having a solid outing isn't the same as one team not getting any freaking hits in the game.

As a baseball fan, yes, these things matter to me. They're achievements that I'd like to say I've seen. I was lucky enough to be in the stands when Nolan Ryan won his 300th game. I was present for Rickey Henderson breaking the single season steal record. I went to games on three straight days to see Robin Yount collect career hits 2998, then 2999, and finally 3000.

[insert it's still real to me dammit gif]

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

26 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Exactly.  It should be treated like a shutout.  A pitcher throws a shutout if he throws a complete-game without giving up any runs.  Otherwise, if a team doesn't score any runs, then "they were shut out", and nobody cares.

Accordingly, a "combined no-hitter" isn't a "no-hitter" in my book.  It's just that one team didn't get any hits.  Roy Halladay's playoff no-hitter was 1,000,000,000 times more impressive than the Astros combined no-hitter in the World Series a few years ago.  

We say that the Cubs shutout the Cardinals, not that the Cubs threw a shutout against the Cardinals, like you'd say that Johnny Pitcher pitched a shutout.  Therefore, it should be simply that the Cubs no-hit the Cardinals, or the Cardinals got no hits against the Cubs, not that the Cubs threw a "no hitter", the same way you'd say Johnny Pitcher threw a no hitter against the Cubs.

Someone else once said that a combined no-hitter is more like a "statistical anomaly" than an accomplishment.  I agree.