2024 NHL Offseason Thread

LMU

This just feels surreal all morning. I remember watching some of his BC highlights in high school and was enthralled. Being a star of the Boston College team that won the first Frozen Four in Tampa, as well as the 2013 World Juniors USA team that won gold while the NHL was locked out just added to what was already a illustrious career before he put on a Flames jersey. And he just continued excelling when he made it to the show. May he and his brother rest in peace, and condolences to the family. Can't even begin to fathom the emotions they're going through on what was supposed to be a great day for the family. 

And also, don't drive drunk. There's no excuse for it anymore in the age of Ubers and Lyfts. Maybe the rideshare apps can be more expensive these days, but they're cheaper than a human life. 

• Like 3

KtHjnlJ.png

32 minutes ago, SavardToColton said:

And also, don't drive drunk. There's no excuse for it anymore in the age of Ubers and Lyfts.

If you're able to get up, walk to your car, unlock the door, and insert the key to start the engine, that means you're able to press a button on your phone to call an Uber, ask a friend for a lift, or take a cab or the bus home.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

Usually when people are on the causing end of a major accident, they show sorrow, remorse, and have general  empathy to those who they have impacted. In the leaked video that shows this guys court hearing, he said "so I am stuck in here till Thursday?", as if that is the biggest concern.

Even in the police report that was made public, he was trying to deflect blame to the driver in front of him, who wasn't pulling over to let him pass. 

It's also not like he just got carried away in the evening and had no way of getting home, he drank 6 beers WHILE driving at 8pm (according to his statement from police). He started off sober and decided to get drunk WHILE driving. He made this idiotic decision while he was sober. He literally had the sober thought to start drinking and driving.

The more you dig into this guy, the angier you will get.  He's a clown who never had regard for anyone else's life. 

• Like 1
  • WOAH 1
  • Hate 3
  • Facepalm 1

Even with the obvious role of alcohol here, let's also not excuse the fact that there are plenty of entitled dicks out there who would still try to illegally pass someone while sober and endanger everyone on the road because of a few seconds of inconvenience.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Hate 1

VmWIn6B.png

41 minutes ago, Klondyke said:

Usually when people are on the causing end of a major accident, they show sorrow, remorse, and have general  empathy to those who they have impacted. In the leaked video that shows this guys court hearing, he said "so I am stuck in here till Thursday?", as if that is the biggest concern.

Even in the police report that was made public, he was trying to deflect blame to the driver in front of him, who wasn't pulling over to let him pass. 

It's also not like he just got carried away in the evening and had no way of getting home, he drank 6 beers WHILE driving at 8pm (according to his statement from police). He started off sober and decided to get drunk WHILE driving. He made this idiotic decision while he was sober. He literally had the sober thought to start drinking and driving.

The more you dig into this guy, the angier you will get.  He's a clown who never had regard for anyone else's life. 

I heard on the Canucks forum that the max jail time he can receive is 10 years!  Personally, I'd lock him up for life with no parole...

52 minutes ago, Klondyke said:

Honestly, I knew something was especially wrong with this one because they were struck from behind, meaning a) they were on the right side of the road, and b) the driver was passing on the right. 

There is no excuse for drinking and driving. There is also no excuse for driving like an a-hole while driving drunk.

Now instead of holding a wedding today, they're planning two funerals.

Jail is too good for this guy.

P.S. This has been a tough couple years to be a Blue Jacket. Some of those guys will be going to the second  funeral for an active teammate. My junior team lost our captain before his final season, and I can't imagine having to go through that twice.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

22 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

I heard on the Canucks forum that the max jail time he can receive is 10 years!  Personally, I'd lock him up for life with no parole...

That's reserved only for first degree murder, which carries a requirement of premeditation. Second degree murder, which still requires intent, doesn't even carry life without parole.

• WOAH 1

An unbelievable tragedy. I remember watching Johnny Hockey quite closely during his three years at Boston College. He was a great hockey player. An electric player that really stuck it to the old guard of antiquated hockey scouts who throw around useless terms like "undersized." A gigantic loss for the Gaudreau family, the Columbus Blue Jackets, the National Hockey League, and the sport of hockey in general.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Even though he never played for the Flyers, he always seemed like an adopted son. He was from the area, about 25-30 miles from Philadelphia. I was always hoping that he would someday don the orange and black. People here in the Delaware Valley are devastated by this senseless tragedy. Alcohol ruins lives. So does reckless driving.

I have not cared for news outlets referring to this as a "bike accident." The driver was very drunk, had no business operating a car, and acted out of laziness and aggression. I was always taught that drunk drivers forfeit the right to call their crashes "accidents."

• Like 7

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 8/31/2024 at 8:17 AM, JayMac said:

Even though he never played for the Flyers, he always seemed like an adopted son. He was from the area, about 25-30 miles from Philadelphia. I was always hoping that he would someday don the orange and black. People here in the Delaware Valley are devastated by this senseless tragedy. Alcohol ruins lives. So does reckless driving.

He wanted to sign with the Flyers when he was a FA, but the Flyers told him they weren't interested, because they were not good enough to be spending money on an expensive player (and they may have wanted to stay bad... not sure.). Maybe he would have whenever it was time for his next deal.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

He settled for Columbus because they were the only American team in the Eastern time zone to come close to Calgary's offer. The Devils lowballed him and the Flyers didn't even make an offer. He had to call the Blue Jackets and be like "hey can I play for you?" If they'd said no then I think he would've gone back to Calgary. Although, I've heard him say if he'd played closer to home then the open door policy with his tight-knit family would've been difficult to work with so maybe it did make sense. We were excited to have him and he became a fast friend. Now I feel bad that his two years with the team were so uninspired, dumb, and listless on management's part. I think they were a couple years away from starting to really cook. 

Obviously this isn't the most important thing right now, but I don't know where the Blue Jackets go from here in hockey terms. Gaudreau was part of the long term plans and they were going to build around him. Just signed Sean Monohan so he could play with his Flames buddy. 

If we suck like I think we're going to suck then nobody's allowed to be mean to us. This is the second player we've lost to a tragic accident in the last three years. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Sport said:

Now I feel bad that his two years with the team were so uninspired, dumb, and listless on management's part. I think they were a couple years away from starting to really cook. 

He was the right player at the wrong time. After Tortorella left, it was probably time to dream it all up again, but they let Kekelainen hang around and be a C- general manager, right up to hiring Mike Babcock to creep everyone out for two weeks, which should have been a fireable offense immediately but somehow wasn't for like another four months. They definitely didn't do The Process since 2021, but they didn't fall victim to the "let's just play for 8th and see what happens" siren song from the Tortorella years, either. I don't know what they were doing and I don't think they did either.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

16 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

He was the right player at the wrong time. After Tortorella left, it was probably time to dream it all up again, but they let Kekelainen hang around and be a C- general manager, right up to hiring Mike Babcock to creep everyone out for two weeks, which should have been a fireable offense immediately but somehow wasn't for like another four months. They definitely didn't do The Process since 2021, but they didn't fall victim to the "let's just play for 8th and see what happens" siren song from the Tortorella years, either. I don't know what they were doing and I don't think they did either.

They didn't know what they were doing once Panarin and the rest of the 2019 core skipped town. Probably should've Processed because they ended up accidentally tanking anyway. That 2016-2019 run when they won the 5th most games in the NHL in that timeframe, but kept drawing the eventual cup champion early in the playoffs, that team felt deliberate and well-crafted, and planned and considered. The panicked, rushed, clinging to competitiveness roster* that they threw together after PLD demanded a trade, which netted Laine, was sloppy and directionless.

I loved Gaudreau, but never warmed on Laine and I'm glad to be out of the Patrik Laine business - He requires special roster construction to work and is kind of a weird diva that teammates didn't seem particularly fond of being around. 

Babcock's hiring was a disaster that somehow went worse than all of us too online hockey fans even could've predicted. I don't know how Jarmo or John Davidson survived another week after that. 

Jarmo Kekäläinen had a few flaws as GM that he needs to correct if he gets another NHL job:

1. Made his name as a scouting and drafting savant and he did pull some guys that massively outplayed their draft slots (Oliver Bjorkstrand for one. Also got 600 games out of Gavrikov and Nutivaara who were taken in the 6th and 7th round in the 2015 draft, for example), but because he staked his reputation to being a draft guru, he got his ego attached to the success of some players who just weren't going to work. He was hesitant to cut bait on guys who were obvious busts. It was refreshing when Waddell came in and immediately scraped all the Jarmo off of the bottom of the lineup. They were all incredibly replaceable plugs who were hogging space that could've better been used by players who are, well, better. 

2. Had to win every contract negotiation. Needless combat even with guys who wanted to remain with the team. As a result it ran a lot of good players out of town and scared a lot of good free agents from considering the team. At the same time, he was terrible with the cap and signed huge deals to anchors like Erik Gudbranson and Elvis Merzlikens. 

3. Is an ice cold Finnish assassin who doesn't understand team chemistry. The team culture as a result got a little lost. Torts was actually helpful in that regard and it hasn't felt like everyone is pulling in the same direction since he left. Hasn't felt like a team who enjoys each other's company or enjoys playing with each other in a long time. Word got out around the league that he wasn't a particularly pleasant guy to play for.

* Jarmo said "we're not rebuilding, we're reloading" and then ended up rebuilding anyway lol

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 8/30/2024 at 7:10 PM, nash61 said:

P.S. This has been a tough couple years to be a Blue Jacket. Some of those guys will be going to the second  funeral for an active teammate. My junior team lost our captain before his final season, and I can't imagine having to go through that twice.

Yeah one of my first thoughts beyond the Gaudreau family was about guys like Werenski & Merzlikins who had to go through this just a few years ago. It's also going to be a tough training camp for Monahan. Just last week he was talking about how excited he was about playing with Johnny again.

I'm expecting an emotional home opener and a 13 banner being put in the rafters. Calgary is also going to be in Columbus on the Friday after Thanksgiving, so they'll likely do something for that game.

• 2 weeks later...