Washington Nationals Logos

CC97

Why the clammoring for something other than a wordmark? Because I am a fan of logos, as well as wordmarks. This is a nifty wordmark, with no icon. No icon, to me = room for improvement in a logo.

Clamor away, my friends.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How come the main script reminds me of the 90's Navy, Gold & Green Milwaukee Brewers?

I was thinking the same thing!

I guess because this is the same guy who designed that logo.

This is some of his works into one, it has parts of the old Milwaukee logos, the Fenway 90th Anniversary logo, the Brooklyn Cyclones logo and Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame logo.

1997 | 2003

I applaud the new design, but have to pan MLB for simply recycling the script "W" of the old Senators.  I think they could've paid an homage to the 'Spos by having a block "W" where the "\" part was stars and the "/\/" stripes, invoking the Expos "M" to an extent while at the same time having a "W" "N" thing going.

Hey guys. As someone who's already put his deposit down on Nats tickets, and someone who has been following this thread ecstatically all day, I thought I'd add my two cents. In general, I like the look, although I agree a Capitol would add a nice touch, if it didn't mimic the Caps' alternate logo too much. I'm not as pleased with the hat, which is nice, only because it doesn't mesh with the logo well, as others have said. Also, I bought the throwback Senators hat last year, and now it's not original! How annoying!

I was intrigued by the stars n' stripes idea, so here's my submission. i didn't spend too much time on it, so feel free to edit it and re-post it for all of us.

I threw in 3 stars and two red stripes to reflect DC's flag (3 stars over two stripes), and of course the red white and blue to also reflect the USA flag. This logo also spells both W and N.

natsw.jpg

natshat.jpgnatshat2.jpg

I was intrigued by the stars n' stripes idea, so here's my submission. i didn't spend too much time on it, so feel free to edit it and re-post it for all of us.natsw.jpg

Well, it wasn't precisely what I had in my mind's eye, but its close enough. It doesn't work with the "Nationals" that is being used; maybe if it were using the same font it'd work better. If it were on the old Expos "pinwheel" design caps it'd look great.

As it is though, now that I see it, it wasn't quite as hot as I thought it'd be.

nav-logo.png

Boooooo. This logo isn't precisely what i wanted! The caps are dumb because i wanted something else! The entrie design is bad because i didn't do it!!!!

</sarcasm>

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Boooooo. This logo isn't precisely what i wanted! The caps are dumb because i wanted something else! The entrie design is bad because i didn't do it!!!!

</sarcasm>

That is so funny JQK.... :notworthy:

I was just thinking that before I came into this thread. This could be applied to just about every pro logo discussion. the </sarcasm> was a classic touch. Can I use that? lol

That said, I will critique anyway....

It looks great to me, except maybe with half of the baseball missing. Maybe if it was smaller, and you could see the rest of it, I dunno.

I dont think it "HAS" to be red/white/blue/gold....See Capitals/Wizards but it works ok here...

I like the name, I like the idea of incorporating DC. Maybe even like that on the cap? or alternate or something.

Though I have yet to see the rest. I like what I see so far...

Besides "It's good enough for government work" ^_^

Play RBI Baseball 2K9 @ http://league.rbicentral.com

Yeah, I like the secondary a lot.

The problem I think with the pinstriped jerseys I commented on earlier is that it looks too much like a wordmark from a logo slapped onto a jersey. It doesn't look like it's own script. Wow, I'll bet that made no sense. But it works for me. Look at the design from steviak, disgarding the W logo(sorry, it's nice, but I'm talking about the wordmark). That is what should be on the from of the jersey. That is a jersey script. So basically if they use the four scripts found on Chris' page(nice job btw), then they should be okay. They are going to have four jerseys??? Come on. Plus a BP.

from the USA Today:

2004-11-22-nationals2.jpg

The secondary logo is pretty good.

The DC as seen above is going to be a patch on the jerseys, according to today's Washington Post..

Also, the story points out this entire identity could be temporary. A new owner could petition the league to change it. This is an obvious point, but certainly one to keep in mind

Wow, I'll bet that made no sense.

If you mean how the letters have space in between them and look individual as opposed to one solid "patch", then you made perfect sense and I agree with you.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I've always liked that font they are using as a secondary font. You could call it the "Law and Order" Font but I believe its name is Trajan Pro. At least it looks very similar to that. We have it at work, so I don't think its a freebie. Anyway, I never thought it would work in a sports logo, but I think they've pulled it off here.

If you mean how the letters have space in between them and look individual as opposed to one solid "patch", then you made perfect sense and I agree with you.

exactly. Thank you for taking what took me a long time to dance around and write it up quick and simple. That's exactly what I mean.

The Law&Order/Trajan Pro looks good as a font for the circle lettering. Copperplate is also good. I think the Brewers might use something like Copperplate.

You can find a first draft of my Nationals desktop wallpaper here:

Horan's Sports Wallpaper

Awww, I don't get a link -- oh poo :P

You certainly will. I hadn't done any updates to that page since mid-2002, way before you were even a glint in my eye! THESLE was my logo bitch at that time, but my plan is to certainly put this place front and center, as it deserves to be.

And I mean that, man.

CGP.gif

I don't think the font used in the banner is Trajan. I think it's Albertus. Very similar, but there's a serif at the top left "elbow" of the N, while Trajan's "elbows" come to points.

The Manchester Monarchs use Albertus for the nameplate lettering, and the word "Manchester" is screened into the bottom stripe of the jerseys, similar to their NHL parent, the Los Angeles Kings.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

You can find a first draft of my Nationals desktop wallpaper here:

Horan's Sports Wallpaper

Awww, I don't get a link -- oh poo :P

You certainly will. I hadn't done any updates to that page since mid-2002, way before you were even a glint in my eye! THESLE was my logo bitch at that time, but my plan is to certainly put this place front and center, as it deserves to be.

And I mean that, man.

:blush::blush:

gawww shucks!

thank ya :woot:

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I don't think the font used in the banner is Trajan. I think it's Albertus. Very similar, but there's a serif at the top left "elbow" of the N, while Trajan's "elbows" come to points.

The Manchester Monarchs use Albertus for the nameplate lettering, and the word "Manchester" is screened into the bottom stripe of the jerseys, similar to their NHL parent, the Los Angeles Kings.

upon further inspection....you are right.

Oh well, both fonts are nice.

Archived