high school rivals

MHraven626

I went to Opelika High School in Opelika, Alabama.

Our colors are Red/Black/White (just like the university of Georgia)

Our biggest Rival is Auburn High School (Auburn, Al) who are the Tigers just like Auburn University. However, Auburn High's colors are Royal Blue, Black and Silver. (black was added recently and now dominates the football uniforms).

A little history about the rivalry. Opelika takes it extremely seriously and have a full "Beat Auburn Week" with dress up days, two pep rallies (one at the beginning and of the week and one on game day).

A tradition we had that I think has since ended:

Our school is set up with One long Main Highway (called Mainstreet) and 5 highways off of that. Our gym where we have the pep rallies is at one end and the cafeteria is at the other. Each class has a their homeroom on a specific hallway (Seniors hall 5, Juniors hall 4, etc...Admin are on Hall 1).

Anyway, the tradition was this: The Senior Class officers had a coffin with a Tiger on top of it...before the pep rally the would start at the end of the senior hallway and would march in dead silence like a funeral procession up the senior homerooms and as they passed the senior class would fall in line then they'd go down the junior hallway with the procession growing larger and larger until the ENTIRE student body (except the team, band, and cheerleaders who already in the gym) was in one long funeral procession and as each hall was empty the lights were turned off so imagine an entire school, dead silent, in a funeral procession and then would file into the gym still silent until the head coach grabs the microphone and screams Beat Auburn and the whole place erupts.

-phew that's a long post.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a proud graduate of St. Jospeh Regional High School in Montvale, New Jersey (Class of 1983). The School's team name is The Green Knights Green, Gold/Yellow and White. The main rivals for SJR in Football is Don Bosco Prep in Ramsey, New Jersey Crimson/Maroon, Black and White The Ironmen, and Bergen Catholic in Oradell, New Jersey Crimson/Red, White. and Gold the Crusaders. These three teams are ususally in the Top 10 Rankings in the NJ High School Football Polls.

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

I got to Evergreen High School in Vancouver, WA aka reigning 4A Football State Champs.

Our rival is Mountain View HS also in Vancouver.

Tonight we have the annual "Cheeseburger Challenge" at Burgerville where 5 of our starting football players face five of MVHS's and our principals in a burger eating contest. The team that consumes the most in 5 minutes is victorious.

Friday is our game against them, and for the past 3 years we have won. Now it's my senior year, and we are about even skill wise for football. I'm worried, but I have faith in my boys.

I got to Evergreen High School in Vancouver, WA aka reigning 4A Football State Champs.

Our rival is Mountain View HS also in Vancouver.

Tonight we have the annual "Cheeseburger Challenge" at Burgerville where 5 of our starting football players face five of MVHS's and our principals in a burger eating contest. The team that consumes the most in 5 minutes is victorious.

Friday is our game against them, and for the past 3 years we have won. Now it's my senior year, and we are about even skill wise for football. I'm worried, but I have faith in my boys.

I know those schools. I used to live in a town called Longview in Washington state.

It had two schools: The Mark Morris Monarchs (Baby Blue and White, current helmet for football is a Tennessee Titans rip-off) and the R.A Long Lumberjacks (Black and Red)

Also in the area were the Kelso Hilanders (Yellow and Blue).

I had the honor (or dishonor?) of being an Aitkin (H.S.) Gobbler in Aitkin, Minn. The town had a turkey plant back in the day, hence the name.

Our hated rival was the Crosby-Ironton Rangers -- an apt name since they're located on part of Minnesota's Iron Range.

What a lot of people don't know, though, is there's a bunch of Minnesota high schools that don't have hockey programs and, in a lot of cases, don't give a damn about the sport.

Mine was one of those, so much so that the few students (in my day, two) who actually wanted to play had to be part of a team merged with our rival Crosby-Ironton and another town called Pequot Lakes. During my days 10 years ago they were the CIAPL Rangers.

I went to George Washington High School in Philadelphia, PA, home of the Eagles (which is funny because the helmet logo was that of the Iowa Hawkeyes). Class of 1999.

Up until last year, the Philly public schools never played for state titles, just what was called the Public League championship. Every once in a while, a school would schedule one of their first two games against suburban schools. The big game, of course, is the Thanksgiving Day game, because teams would usually play their nearest Catholic school's team. For us, it, it's the Archbishop Ryan Red Raiders. The most legendary contest was in 1989, when GW beat Ryan in the famous Thanksgiving Day Snowstorm.

Last year GW became the first Public League team to qualify for the State playoffs, and because of that, they had to move their game against Ryan to the night before Thanksgiving because the team they were playing in the championship had a game Thursday as well and the playoff game was Saturday.

The problem with the PL being eligible for the State Playoffs is that iat it messed up the divisional system that brought with it a five-way rivalry in Northeast Philadelphia. It was always us, the Frankford Pioneers, the Northeast Vikings, the Lincoln Railsplitters, and the Central Lancers. Northeast was our locational rival, but our archrival was Central. It's such a high-falutin' pretty boy school (or at least it was). It still is, alas now Central is out of the division and we're left to deal with Frankford.

philly.png

mine: Swampscott Big Blue, colors Blue and White

Rival: Marblehead Magicians, colors Red and Black

The story goes that the rivalry between the two schools were so intense that when they started wearing colored uniforms, they took the colors from one of the more historic rivalrys in college football: Harvard-Yale. Another note is that while Big Blue might not sound that intimidating, it's much better than the former name. the Swampscott Sculpins. which if you look it up is a small, spiny urchin-like sea creature

Harrison Wildcats(Ohio)

RIVAL East Central Trojans(Indiana)

Thats right go ahead and rub it in dilbert You guys are gonna kicks our arses to hell and back on friday

Even though you guys are in the FAVC. You guys are not as much rivals, but more of just another team in the league.

And Yes we will kick your arses to hell and back , but its really just icing on the cake as we are most definetly in the playoffs.

Signature intentionally left blank

Bayonne High School Fighting Bees

vs

Marist High School Knights

The two HS football teams in Bayonne, NJ.

Recently the annual Thanksgiving Game has been cancelled because the two Athletic Directors have had a falling out, but from the 1930's until 1989, there was no bigger game than Bayonne vs Marist on Thanksgiving.

Also, both schools share the same football stadium. Added a lil something to the game.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

MINE: Haddonfield Memorial High School , Haddonfield, NJ. Class of '94.

Mascot: Bulldogs

Colors: Umm... care to guess? (Yeah, all our stuff was knockoff UGA gear, with the "G" on UGA's hat changed to an "H".)

RIVAL: Traditionally, it's Haddon Heights High School - we've got the 3rd longest Thanksgiving Day rivalry in the country. I played in the 100th anniversary of the game. They're called the Garnets, their colors are garnet and gold, like Arizona State. Odder still, their mascot is Sparky the Devil, but they replaced the pitchfork in his hand with a large garnet. But really, we don't like anyone in our conference and they don't like us - dominating the conference for 2 decades and then some makes for some animosity.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Whittier Tech Wildcats (Haverhill, MA)

Colors: Maroon and Old Gold

Logos: Primary "WT" in a Wake Forrest style

Secondary Clemson type of pawprint

Though we did play other regular high schools as well, we mostly played the other Tech high schools in the area. We used to have an annual Thanksgiving Day Eve football game with Greater Lawrence, but they've since decided to switch to play against regular Lawrence High for a intercity game. We still play them every year, and we're the two closest in proximity Tech schools but we have pretty good rivalries with the other schools too.

Gr.Lowell Tech Gryphons (Royal & Gold) Tyngsborough, MA

Gr. Lawrence Regional Tech Reggies (Black & Orange) Andover, MA

Shawsheen Tech Rams (Purple & Scarlet) Billrica, MA

Lynn Tech Tigers (Navy & Red) Lynn, MA

Northeast Tech Knights (Gold & Black) Wakefield, MA

No. Shore Tech Bulldogs (Navy & Sky) Danvers, MA

Minuteman Tech Mustangs (Red & Blue) Lexington, MA

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Mine: Irmo High School Yellow Jackets (Gold and Black, football unis are nearly carbon copies of the Pittsburgh Steelers' unis)

Rival: everyone hates us, biggest ones are Lexington Wildcats (Blue and Gold), Dutch Fork Silver Foxes (Green and Silver), and Spring Valley Vikings (Green and Gold).

Hey...Irmo! :D I'll just leave out any mention of the 2002 state championship. But yeah, I have a lot of friends here that went to Irmo.

That was after I graduated anyway, not that I really cared...

When it comes to section IX Class AA Football its always

MONROE-WOODBURY CRUSADERS V.S NEWBURGH FREE ACADEMY GOLDBACKS

for the past 8 years M-W and Newburgh have played in the section title game. Anyway..This Monroe team is really hot cause we got something they aint got!!" GO! FIGHT! WIN!"

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

Mine: Irmo High School Yellow Jackets (Gold and Black, football unis are nearly carbon copies of the Pittsburgh Steelers' unis)

Rival: everyone hates us, biggest ones are Lexington Wildcats (Blue and Gold), Dutch Fork Silver Foxes (Green and Silver), and Spring Valley Vikings (Green and Gold).

Hey...Irmo! :D I'll just leave out any mention of the 2002 state championship. But yeah, I have a lot of friends here that went to Irmo.

That was after I graduated anyway, not that I really cared...

Yeah, for some reason I got that vibe anyway, I was just poking fun.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

My School: Kingston High School

Nickname: Cardinals

Colors: Black (primary color), Red, White

Main Rivals: Mayville Wildcats, Marlette Red Raiders, Peck Pirates

KingstonFootball1.png

What the football unis look like (picture taken by Dave Bossick, from the October 22nd edition of the Tuscola County Advertiser, btw)

FirstQuarter.jpg

And what the basketball unis look like. I took this pic at the Peck District Final, which Kingston lost to Carsonville-Port Sanilac.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Whittier Tech Wildcats (Haverhill, MA)

Colors: Maroon and Old Gold

Logos: Primary "WT" in a Wake Forrest style

Secondary Clemson type of pawprint

Though we did play other regular high schools as well, we mostly played the other Tech high schools in the area. We used to have an annual Thanksgiving Day Eve football game with Greater Lawrence, but they've since decided to switch to play against regular Lawrence High for a intercity game. We still play them every year, and we're the two closest in proximity Tech schools but we have pretty good rivalries with the other schools too.

Gr.Lowell Tech Gryphons (Royal & Gold) Tyngsborough, MA

Gr. Lawrence Regional Tech Reggies (Black & Orange) Andover, MA

Shawsheen Tech Rams (Purple & Scarlet) Billrica, MA

Lynn Tech Tigers (Navy & Red) Lynn, MA

Northeast Tech Knights (Gold & Black) Wakefield, MA

No. Shore Tech Bulldogs (Navy & Sky) Danvers, MA

Minuteman Tech Mustangs (Red & Blue) Lexington, MA

Whittier now plays Cathedral on Thanksgiving.

and Whittier's football coach is one of the biggest :censored:s in the league.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived